Which Graphing Calculator is Best for EE: TI-89 Titanium vs. HP 49g+

In summary: The HP line of calculators use reserve polish notation. Once learned, you can use it faster then someone using a TI-89 because you won't have to use parentheses.
abdo375
I'm thinking of buying a graphing calculator, I think my options are TI-89 Titanium or the HP 49g+, so do u guys know which is better for an EE and if there is any other choices.
Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have the TI-89 Titanium. It has lots of features. One of the best feature is a built in computer algebra system (CAS). I've never used the HP 49g+, but upon checking the specs of the HP 49g+, it also looks like a good buy.

ranger, first I really want to thank you for your post , but there is something that i must say, can you please reread your post; first you tell me that the ti is good and then you say the hp is a good buy, you only added to my confusion, again thanks for the time you spent for on your post but I just had to comment.

I wanted to buy hp 49G+ but I read too many reviews. Everbody complains the hp has keyboard problems, that they don't register and are loud.

So I changed my mind and bought ti-89 which works flawlessly.

I love the TI-89. My friend has the HP, and the keys are insanely loud. The only thing the HP has on the TI is that it has a slot for a memory card. However, the TI can connect to a PC via USB.

Get the TI. The HP interface with the pc is archaic at best. TI has really made things easy with the USB interface and the current round of TI-Connect software. I've had both the 89 and the HP and I love my 89. The keys were annoying on the HP. I also hated the interface on the HP, I didn't think it was very well thought out. However it was a powerful machine. I'm NOT saying it is more powerful then the 89 however (maybe faster though).

I couldn't recommend the 89 more. It rocks. Although a TI Voyage might be nice too :)

Get a slide rule. No batteries.

abdo375: Is this for School or for work? If it is for work, I recommend investing the money and time to learn MathCAD. You will get a lot more out of it then what you will get out of any calculator, IMHO.

If it is for School, then I'd go with the TI-89 as it is easy to use. The pretty print helps out a lot to track input errors such as misplaced parentheses. The HP line of calculators use reserve polish notation. Once learned, you can use it faster then someone using a TI-89 because you won't have to use parentheses. So there is that to consider.

Yep I'd have to say the TI-89. I have the regular 89, but I did use the Titanium for a while (they're basically the same, just look different and the Titanium has more memory). I absolutely couldn't be happier with my TI. I love it. :)

Shadrack said:
abdo375: Is this for School or for work? If it is for work, I recommend investing the money and time to learn MathCAD. You will get a lot more out of it then what you will get out of any calculator, IMHO.

If it is for School, then I'd go with the TI-89 as it is easy to use. The pretty print helps out a lot to track input errors such as misplaced parentheses. The HP line of calculators use reserve polish notation. Once learned, you can use it faster then someone using a TI-89 because you won't have to use parentheses. So there is that to consider.
Is postfix the only notation or do you have a choice between that and infix (maybe prefix as well?)

What are the main differences between the TI-89 Titanium and the HP 49g+?

The TI-89 Titanium and the HP 49g+ are both powerful graphing calculators commonly used in engineering fields. The main differences between them include their operating systems, display capabilities, and built-in functions. The TI-89 Titanium runs on the proprietary TI-OS and has a larger display screen, while the HP 49g+ runs on the RPL operating system and has a smaller screen. Additionally, the TI-89 Titanium has more built-in functions, including calculus and statistics, while the HP 49g+ has a larger memory capacity and can be programmed using RPL.

Which calculator is better for engineering courses?

Both the TI-89 Titanium and the HP 49g+ are suitable for engineering courses. However, the best calculator for you will depend on your personal preferences and the specific requirements of your courses. The TI-89 Titanium may be a better choice for those who prefer a user-friendly interface and a larger display screen, while the HP 49g+ may be preferred by those who are comfortable with programming and need a larger memory capacity.

Can the TI-89 Titanium and the HP 49g+ be used for advanced engineering calculations?

Yes, both calculators can handle advanced engineering calculations. They have similar capabilities and functions, such as solving differential equations, performing matrix operations, and graphing complex equations. However, the TI-89 Titanium may be easier to use for those who are not familiar with programming, while the HP 49g+ may offer more flexibility and customization options for advanced users.

Which calculator is more durable and long-lasting?

Both the TI-89 Titanium and the HP 49g+ are well-built and durable calculators. However, the TI-89 Titanium is known for its sturdy construction and long-lasting battery life, making it a popular choice for students and professionals alike. The HP 49g+ also has a solid build and should last for many years with proper care.

Is there a significant price difference between the TI-89 Titanium and the HP 49g+?

The TI-89 Titanium and the HP 49g+ are similarly priced, with the TI-89 Titanium being slightly more expensive in some cases. However, the price may vary depending on the retailer and any discounts or promotions available. It's important to consider your budget and needs when choosing between these two calculators.