Understanding electromagnetic water flow meters

In summary, electromagnetic flowmeters work by applying a strong magnetic field perpendicular to the flow and measuring the resulting electric field in the third direction. This technique relies on the fluid being a conductor in order to produce a potential difference and measure the flow rate. In non-conducting fluids, this method would not work and alternative techniques would need to be used.
lalbatros
You may know that water flow can be measured by an electromagnetic flowmeter.
A strong magnetic field is applied perpendicular to the flow.
An electric field is measured in the third direction.

It seems to work just like a dynamo, which I understand, at least I believed that.

But why does the fluid need to be a conductor, like water?
Does the measurement depend on the conductivity of the fluid?
And finally is there no electric field induced in a moving but not conducting fluid? What happens in a isolating fluid?

Could some of you help me to clarify my understanding, staring from the fundamentals?
Some numbers put on this topic could be useful too.

Thanks,

Michel

Physics news on Phys.org
They operate on the principal that if you move a conductor through a magnetic field, a voltage is produced. The flow will be proportional to the flow rate. That is why the fluid needs to be conductive.

What do you mean by an isolating flow?

FredGarvin said:
What do you mean by an isolating flow?
I think he meant to ask about what happens in an insulating (non-conducting) liquid. This flow measurement technique would not work with a non-conducting liquid.

FredGarvin said:
They operate on the principal that if you move a conductor through a magnetic field, a voltage is produced. The flow will be proportional to the flow rate. That is why the fluid needs to be conductive.

At first I didn't think this was right, but if I think about it in terms of eddy currents getting induced in the conducting liquid as it flows past, that makes more sense. So you would put a B field through the liquid perpendicular to the flow direction, and measure the delta-V that you get between two points along one side of the conduit, slightly above and below the spot where you focus the B-field... Does that sound right? Does anybody have a pointer to a drawing of one of these things?

Indeed, by "insulating fluid" I meant "non conducting".
The emf produced within the fluid is given by the famous vxB law.
I guess the voltmeter probes should be aligned perpendicular to B and v.

My problem is that I don't see why the fluid needs to be conducting, since the law doesn't involve the conductivity.
Would it be only because a current is measured?
And could the electric field not be measured in another way?

But indeed, understanding how a dynamo works should help me.

Any suggestion?

lalbatros said:
My problem is that I don't see why the fluid needs to be conducting, since the law doesn't involve the conductivity.
In order for a potential difference to be established, the charges (electrons) have to be mobile so that the accumulate in one direction while leaving postive ions in the other direction. If the charges cannot move, i.e. if the fluid is non-conducting, there would be no potential difference, but perhaps the molecules or atoms would align like dipoles.

This is the principle of magnetohydrodynamics (MHD).
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/maspec.html#c5

Astronuc,

You are right: this electric field occurs in the frame attached to the fluid, and results in a force on charged particles.

For this effect to be observed in the 'pipe's frame of reference', the impact on the charged particles has to be observed. And this needs the fluid to be conducting, probably there is no other practical way.

Still, in a non-conducting fluid there will be a polarisation as you mention.
I guess this polarisation could -in principle- also be observed in the 'fixed frame of reference'. If this is right, the obstacle is only technical.

Electromagnetic flowmeters are used to measure flow speed. Electromagnet is fitted outside the housing when flow passes the electromagnet it generates results in the form of pulses. Total number of pulses indicates the total flow.

1. How do electromagnetic water flow meters work?

Electromagnetic water flow meters use Faraday's Law of Induction to measure the flow of water. A magnetic field is created by an electromagnet and when water flows through the meter, it creates a voltage that is proportional to the velocity of the water. This voltage is then converted into a flow rate measurement.

2. What are the benefits of using electromagnetic water flow meters?

Electromagnetic water flow meters have no moving parts, making them highly reliable and accurate. They also have a wide range of measurement capabilities, are not affected by changes in temperature or pressure, and can be used for various types of water, including dirty or corrosive water.

3. How do you install an electromagnetic water flow meter?

The installation process of an electromagnetic water flow meter depends on the specific model and manufacturer. However, in general, the meter is installed in-line and requires two sections of pipe to be cut and connected to the meter. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper installation.

4. Can electromagnetic water flow meters be used for all types of water?

While electromagnetic water flow meters are versatile and can be used for various types of water, it is important to consider the conductivity of the water. These meters work best with water that has a minimum conductivity of 5 μS/cm. If the water has a lower conductivity, it may not generate enough voltage for an accurate measurement.

5. How do you maintain and calibrate an electromagnetic water flow meter?

Regular maintenance is important for electromagnetic water flow meters to ensure accurate readings. This includes cleaning the electrodes and checking for any build-up or corrosion. Calibration should also be done periodically to ensure accuracy. This can be done by a professional or by following the manufacturer's instructions for self-calibration.