What Changes Can We Expect in the GRE?

• Thread starter JasonJo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gre
In summary, the GRE has recently made changes in August 2011 to incorporate new question types, allow the use of calculators on the Quantitative Reasoning section, and add an on-screen calculator for the Analytical Writing section. These changes are intended to better assess critical thinking and analytical skills rather than just memorization. While the GRE may be more similar to other graduate school entrance exams in some aspects, it still has its own unique purpose and focus. It is important to adapt study methods to the new question types and calculator usage, but overall the content and skills being assessed remain the same. Familiarizing oneself with the new format and taking practice tests is recommended to ensure preparedness for test day.
JasonJo
GRE Change?

I have been hearing that the GRE will be undergoing changes in it's format and syllabus. I tried searching on gre.org but i couldn't get any specifics. Does anyone have the details??

EDIT: I'm referring to the General GRE

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JasonJo said:
I have been hearing that the GRE will be undergoing changes in it's format and syllabus.
This is true.

Read this : http://www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/menuitem.c988ba0e5dd572bada20bc47c3921509/?vgnextoid=6793cb8a55e76010VgnVCM10000022f95190RCRD&vgnextchannel=53e65da22af66010VgnVCM10000022f95190RCRD

test, not subject-specific ones.

I understand the importance of staying updated with changes in any standardized test, especially for those pursuing higher education. The Educational Testing Service (ETS), which administers the GRE, has announced that the General GRE test will be undergoing significant changes in its format and content starting August 2021. These changes are aimed at providing a more accurate assessment of a student's skills and abilities.

Some of the changes that can be expected are a new scoring scale, a new question type, and a decrease in the number of sections. The new scoring scale will range from 130-170 in one-point increments for both the Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning sections. The Analytical Writing section will still be scored on a scale of 0-6 in half-point increments.

In terms of question types, the new GRE will include a "Highlight and Mark" feature, where test-takers can highlight and mark specific parts of a passage to help them answer related questions. This feature is designed to assess a student's ability to identify important information and make connections between different parts of a text.

Additionally, the new GRE will have one fewer section in both the Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning sections, reducing the total testing time by 30 minutes. However, the content and difficulty level of the questions will remain the same.

It is important for students to familiarize themselves with these changes and prepare accordingly. The ETS website will provide more details and practice materials closer to the implementation date. It is also advisable to check with individual graduate programs to see if they will be accepting scores from the new GRE format.

Overall, these changes are meant to improve the test-taking experience and provide a more accurate assessment of a student's skills and abilities. I believe in the importance of adapting to new methods and constantly striving for improvement. I encourage students to stay updated and prepare diligently for the new GRE format.

What changes can we expect in the GRE?

The GRE is constantly evolving and making changes to better assess a student's potential for graduate-level study. The most recent changes made in August 2011 include the incorporation of new question types, allowing students to use a calculator on the Quantitative Reasoning section, and the addition of an on-screen calculator for the Analytical Writing section.

Will the GRE be more difficult with these changes?

While the GRE has added new question types and allowed the use of calculators, it does not necessarily mean that the test will be more difficult. These changes are meant to better assess a student's critical thinking and analytical skills, rather than just their ability to memorize information.

How will the changes affect my score?

The changes made to the GRE are not expected to significantly affect a student's overall score. The scoring system remains the same, and the test is still designed to rank students relative to one another. However, it is important to familiarize yourself with the new question types and calculator usage to ensure you are prepared for the test.

Do these changes make the GRE more similar to other graduate school entrance exams?

The GRE has always been unique in its format and content compared to other graduate school entrance exams. While these changes may make it more similar in some aspects, the GRE still has its own distinct purpose and focus on critical thinking skills.

Should I study differently for the new GRE?

It is important to adapt your study methods to the new question types and calculator usage, but the overall content and skills being assessed are still the same. It is also recommended to take practice tests and familiarize yourself with the new format to ensure you are prepared for test day.