4-velocity -> 4-acceleration?

• Thread starter JabberWalkie
  • Start date
In summary, the 4-acceleration can be derived from the 4-velocity by calculating du/d(tau) and using the equations from Hartle's book. The proper acceleration is related to coordinate acceleration by a factor of gamma^3 and is perpendicular to the 4-velocity. This can be seen by taking the squared magnitude of the 4-acceleration vector.
JabberWalkie
4-velocity --> 4-acceleration?

Hey all, my first post here.

Now, I am trying to derive the 4-acceleration from the 4-velocity by explicitly calculating du/d(tau). So from Hartle we have

u=( gamma, gamma*v)

where gamma=1/Sqrt(1-v^2)

and v is the 3 velocity, taking c=1

So then,

du/d(tau)=( d(gamma)/d(tau), d(gamma*v)/d(tau) )

from the book we have

du/d(tau)=(gamma*(a dot v), gamma*a)

so then we should have

d(gamma)/d(tau)=gamma*(a dot v)

but when i calculate d(gamma)/d(tau) i get...ok I am going to show all my steps so people can know what I've done...

d(gamma)/d(tau)=[d(gamma)/dv)]*[dv/dt]*[dt/d(tau)]

=[d(1/(1-v^2)^(1/2))/dv]*[a][gamma]

=[(-1/2)(-2*(v)/(1-v^2)^(3/2)]*[a]*[gamma]

=[ va/(1-v^2)^(3/2)*[1/gamma]

=v*a*gamma^4 != v*a*gamma

does anyone know what's going wrong or what I am doing wrong??

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should expect that "proper acceleration", which can be defined as the magnitude of your 4-acceleration, is related to coordinate acceleration by a factor of gamma^3, not by a factor of gamma.

See for instance http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbolic_motion_(relativity )

(which has this result, but doesn't work through the math, unfortunately).

But if we work through your example, we get for the two components of the 4-acceleration

v*a*gamma^4, a*gamma^4

Note that this makes the 4-acceleration vector Minknowski-perpendicular to the 4-velocity, this is another known result.

Now when we take the squared magnitude of the above we get

(1-v^2)*a^2*gamma^8 = a^2*gamma^6

so the square root of this is a * gamma^3, i.e. the magnitude of the 4-acceleration is gamma^3 times the magnitude of the coordinate acceleration, which is what we expect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi there, thanks for your post! It looks like you have made a mistake in your calculation of d(gamma)/d(tau). The correct expression should be:

d(gamma)/d(tau) = (v*a*gamma^3)/(1-v^2)^(3/2)

This is because when you take the derivative of (1-v^2)^(-1/2), you need to use the chain rule and also take the derivative of the inside function (1-v^2). So the final expression should be:

d(gamma)/d(tau) = [d(1/(1-v^2)^(1/2))/dv] * [dv/dt] * [dt/d(tau)]

= [(-1/2)(-2)(v)/(1-v^2)^(3/2)] * [a] * [gamma]

= [va/(1-v^2)^(3/2)] * [gamma^3]

= [v*a*gamma^3]/(1-v^2)^(3/2)

I hope this helps clarify things for you! Let me know if you have any other questions. Keep up the good work!

1. What is 4-velocity and 4-acceleration?

4-velocity is a four-dimensional vector that describes the velocity of an object in spacetime, taking into account both its spatial and temporal components. 4-acceleration is a four-dimensional vector that describes the rate of change of an object's 4-velocity.

2. How are 4-velocity and 4-acceleration related?

4-acceleration is the derivative of 4-velocity with respect to proper time. In other words, 4-acceleration is the change in an object's 4-velocity over a specific period of time as experienced by an observer moving along with the object.

3. What is the significance of 4-velocity and 4-acceleration in physics?

4-velocity and 4-acceleration are important concepts in the theory of relativity, as they help describe the motion of objects in spacetime. They also have practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, where they are used to calculate the motion of celestial objects.

4. How do 4-velocity and 4-acceleration differ from regular velocity and acceleration?

Regular velocity and acceleration only describe an object's motion in three-dimensional space, while 4-velocity and 4-acceleration take into account the temporal dimension as well. This is important in the theory of relativity, where time is considered to be a fourth dimension.

5. Can 4-velocity and 4-acceleration be negative?

Yes, 4-velocity and 4-acceleration can have negative values. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the observer's frame of reference. In the theory of relativity, the direction of an object's motion is relative to the observer's frame of reference, so negative values are possible and valid.