Solar wind + Weak magnetic field = No water?

In summary, there is a consensus that the Earth's magnetic field will weaken and flip polarity sometime soon, as evidenced by measurements and past movements of the north and south poles. However, there is conflicting information on when this will occur. While some sources suggest that the weakening of the magnetic field could potentially lead to the stripping off of water from Earth by solar winds, it is believed that this would only be a temporary effect and would not occur for a long time. Some sources also suggest that during this weakening period, Earth would not lose much, as it would only last a short time.
dongcute
Is it possible that one day, the Earth magnetic field get so weaken that solar wind could strip off water from earth? I ask this because of this article which leads me to draw the parallel. http://www.geotimes.org/sept04/NN_solarstorms.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I've read conflicting articles about this -- mostly on if/when the magnetic field will weaken.

However, there is a pretty good consensus that the magnetic field will weaken (and has) sometime soon as it will flip polarity. Measurements of the magnetic field show eventually the north and south poles will flip -- and that they have migrated from their positions already as compared to the past.

You might want to do a search of SciAm and Discovery over the last few years as I think they've covered the subject a few times.

I don't think so though that this will happen for a long, long time actually, but I think that the effects will be temporary though. The solar winds probably can't pick a whole lot of water, whenever the top happens.

NOVA on WJCTv did a show on this like 8 years ago.

Yes Earth's magnetic field is going to weaken bu thenget strong again. During this time we won't lose pretty much anything because its so short.

Mar without a magnetic field: 2,000,000,000

Earth's max without a field: 3,000

Thks to all who replied :)

1. What is solar wind?

Solar wind is a stream of charged particles, mainly protons and electrons, that flow outward from the sun. It is constantly emitted by the sun and travels throughout our solar system.

2. How does solar wind impact Earth's magnetic field?

Solar wind interacts with Earth's magnetic field, causing it to stretch and compress. This interaction can create disturbances in the magnetic field, such as auroras, but it does not weaken the overall strength of Earth's magnetic field.

3. How does a weak magnetic field affect the presence of water?

A weak magnetic field does not directly affect the presence of water. Water can still exist on a planet or moon with a weak magnetic field, but it may be more susceptible to being stripped away by solar wind.

4. Can a planet or moon with a weak magnetic field have an atmosphere?

Yes, a planet or moon with a weak magnetic field can still have an atmosphere. However, the atmosphere may be more vulnerable to being eroded by solar wind, leading to a thinner atmosphere compared to a planet with a strong magnetic field.

5. Is it possible for a planet or moon with a weak magnetic field to have water?

Yes, it is possible for a planet or moon with a weak magnetic field to have water. The presence of water depends on a variety of factors, such as the distance from the sun and the composition of the planet or moon's surface, and is not solely determined by the strength of its magnetic field.