Food that results in minimal urine in humans

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food
In summary, the type of food that is adequate as a meal and can last for at least 5 hours without causing great discomfort or excessive thirst is a combination of boiled egg, banana, whole wheat bread, baked fish, and rice. The balance of protein and carbohydrates is important for optimal results. However, other factors such as time of day, hormone imbalances, and electrolyte balance can also affect urine volume. Some foods may have a mild diuretic effect, while frequent urination can also be caused by structural issues or high fiber foods. It is important to maintain fluid balance and avoid excessive intake of diuretic substances like caffeine and alcohol. It is also recommended to avoid excessive water intake before a 3-hour exam to prevent
pivoxa15
What type of food (which is adequate as a meal and last the person doing low physical level activity for at least 5 hours) results in minimal accumulation of urine in humans right after consumption (offcourse provided no intake of liquid during the food intake either before or after). Although also not causing great discomfort i.e. too thirsty.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
I would go for a boiled egg and banana and whole wheat bread..or baked fish and rice. Match protein, and carbs.

It's not all that simple. Urine volume has a diurnal cycle - so time of day or night affects urine production.

Electrolyte balance (for example: Na & K) in the meal can also affect urine volume. Hormone imbalances affect it.

Some foods have a very mild diurectic effect - examples: asparagus and rhubarb.

Frequent urination may also be the result of "structural" problems like BPH, or issues with having given birth recently or being pregnant.

And I've glossed over a lot of other things...

hypatia said:
I would go for a boiled egg and banana and whole wheat bread..or baked fish and rice. Match protein, and carbs.

Are there any scientific evidence behind these suggestions?

All other factors being equal, urine volume should closely match water intake.
Otherwise, you're going to blow up like a balloon or shrivel up like a raisin.
Along the line of what jim mcnamara said, the bodys fluid balance is subject to adjustments.
So sometimes you will lower the fluid content and produce more urine, balanced by the times you increase your fluid content.
There are fairly strict limits to this.

Sweat, breathing and feces also contribute to urine volume as water is diverted to these functions.

High fiber foods tend to limit the bodys ability to recover water from feces.
This can divert a lot of water that would otherwise show up as urine.
You can become very thirsty as a result of this.

The concentration of various proteins and salts in urine vary radically.
What you eat can have a major effect on the constituents of urine.
Other factors will have a bigger effect on volume.

I have found that cooking fresh noodles or rice and eating it staright away results in more urine accumulation than leaving it cool and put into the fridge overnight. Although this may be a bit obvious since water has time to evaoprate. I wonder if the difference is great? Liquid intake has a much greater difference though.

MAybe it's the diurnal thing - plus your body loses water overnight through several means. If you have a scale, weigh yourself as you do to bed. When you get up in the morning, weigh yourself again. For healthy people, the difference from evening to morning is around .5Kg...1Kg (depending on your total body mass)- all water loss.

So, assuming you eat your food in the morning, your body chooses to keep the water in the food to replenish what it lost overnight.

Your body is continuously producing urine, unless you're dehydrated. It would be unhealthy to not be producing urine. About the only thing you can do is avoid things that will increase urine production (i.e., have diuretic actions) like caffeine and alcohol, and not drink excessive amounts of water. 5 hours sounds like a very long time to go after a meal without urinating if you aren't sleeping through that time. Most people need to urinate every 2 to 3 hours during the day, so you may be asking the impossible here.

Moonbear said:
Your body is continuously producing urine, unless you're dehydrated. It would be unhealthy to not be producing urine. About the only thing you can do is avoid things that will increase urine production (i.e., have diuretic actions) like caffeine and alcohol, and not drink excessive amounts of water. 5 hours sounds like a very long time to go after a meal without urinating if you aren't sleeping through that time. Most people need to urinate every 2 to 3 hours during the day, so you may be asking the impossible here.

I wasn't asking for 5 hours without urinating, only that the food can last my stomach for 5 hours without eating. I was thinking about 3 and half hours without urinating actually, for a 3 hour exam.

The solution is simple: don't drink too much before the exam, especially coffee or coke, and take a bathroom break right before the exam starts. Don't dehydrate yourself though, you won't be able to think properly: take something to drink along with you.

I'm not sure what you want to accomplish with the food, I've never heard that will cause you to urinate.

Moonbear said:

I have noticed that one urinates after drinking coke very easily, much more easily than coffee. Whats the reason behind that?

Last edited:
Monique said:
The solution is simple: don't drink too much before the exam, especially coffee or coke, and take a bathroom break right before the exam starts. Don't dehydrate yourself though, you won't be able to think properly: take something to drink along with you.

I'm not sure what you want to accomplish with the food, I've never heard that will cause you to urinate.

The food might affect urination in indirect ways. For example, urination is less after an oily, salty meal. Although I guess you could take salt tablets but that might be too unnatural and cause other problems that you wouldn't want in an exam.

pivoxa15 said:
I have noticed that one urinates after drinking coke very easily, much more easily than coffee. Whats the reason behind that?
I think it's related to total cafine content.
Cafine is a diuretic.

NoTime said:
I think it's related to total cafine content.
Cafine is a diuretic.

So a 375ml can of coke has more caffine than a medium cup of coffee?

pivoxa15 said:
So a 375ml can of coke has more caffine than a medium cup of coffee?

It depends on how strong you make your coffee. Colas also have sugar, which can increase urine output if you're diabetic. What volume of coffee are you drinking? The water volume itself can account for differences.

Foods that will take longer to digest, so take longer before you feel hungry again, would be fats and complex carbohydrates. Proteins and simple sugars are digested very quickly by comparison.

1. What types of food can lead to minimal urine production in humans?

Some of the most common foods that can result in minimal urine production include watermelon, cucumber, celery, lettuce, and cranberry juice. These foods are high in water content and act as natural diuretics, helping to flush out excess fluids from the body.

2. How much water should I drink to minimize urine production?

The amount of water needed to minimize urine production varies from person to person, but the general recommendation is to drink at least 8 glasses (64 ounces) of water per day. This helps to keep the body hydrated and maintain a healthy balance of fluids, leading to minimal urine production.

3. Are there any foods that can increase urine production?

Yes, there are certain foods that can increase urine production, such as caffeine, alcohol, and high-sodium foods. These foods act as diuretics and can cause the body to produce more urine, leading to more frequent trips to the bathroom.

4. Can a low-carb diet lead to minimal urine production?

Yes, a low-carb diet can result in minimal urine production. This is because the body produces less insulin on a low-carb diet, which leads to a decrease in urine output. However, it is important to maintain a balanced diet and not restrict carbohydrates too much, as this can have negative effects on overall health.

5. Are there any medical conditions that can cause minimal urine production?

Yes, there are a few medical conditions that can lead to minimal urine production, such as diabetes insipidus, kidney disease, and adrenal insufficiency. These conditions affect the body's ability to regulate fluids and can result in decreased urine output. If you are experiencing minimal urine production, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional to determine the underlying cause.