Computer Screen Color Altered: What Happened?

In summary, while reading the news, the individual went to take a shower and returned to find their computer screen displaying strange colors. The top and bottom bars, as well as all objects and windows on the screen, were altered. They asked for potential causes and solutions, and it was suggested that the pixels may have been burned or the cable may have corrosion. It was also mentioned that a strong magnet or speakers could have caused the issue. After turning the monitor off and on, the colors returned to normal. The individual believes the problem may have been caused by their friend's laptop being placed in front of their computer while it was off.
Uterus Chewer
OK, here is what happened:

1. I was reading the news at Yahoo.
2. I went to take a shower.
3. About 30 minutes later, I returned to my computer and found that the colors of the screen had been strangely altered.

For example, the bars at the very top and very bottom of my screen are normally blue, just as they are on virtually everyone's computer. Right now, though, those bars on my computer are green, blue, purple, yellow, red, and so on. The text and objects within every window I open, the icons on my desktop, my background -- everything that appears on my screen -- are likewise altered. Since this occurred, I haven't encountered any problems with the operation of my computer. Does anyone know what might have caused this? Could this be due to an automatic Windows update (my computer indicated an update)? I'd like to change my screen back to its original appearance as all of these colors make it more difficult for me to read what's on my screen and prevent me from knowing the true colors of any pictures that I look at.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Sounds like you burned the pixels on your screen by not having a screen saver.

Wiggle the monitor's cable at the back of the PC, it could be corrosion of the pins or something like that.

If the problem is burnt out pixels or corrosion of pins, would the discoloration assume an organized pattern on my screen? That's the situation I have here. There's a circular area in the middle of my screen that displays the correct colors, but outside that circle, everything is multicolored. If I have a small window within that circle, I will see the correct colors in that window, but if I move the window outside that circle, the colors inside the window will change.

Also, the capacity for any given color to appear in any given portion of the screen has not been lost. For example, if I take an object of a certain color and move it to a particular part of my screen, then it will appear as, say, red. Then, if I take an object of a different color and move it to that same spot, it will appear as, say, green. In this way, I can get any color I want to appear in spot on the screen.

If it's a CRT monitor (not LCD) try degaussing it. There should be a command in the setup to do this. Powering the monitor off and on may do it automatically.

And check if some joker put a strong permanent magnet near your monitor while you were away.

Well, I just turned the monitor off and on, and that did the trick. Thank you for your advice, AlephZero.

Any idea what likely caused these strange color changes?

You don't happen to have some strong speakers anywhere near your monitor, do you?

It sounds like someone did that with a magnet.

I think what must have caused this problem is that my friend used his laptop computer on my computer desk. He placed his laptop directly in front of my computer. My computer was off at the time, and when I used my computer after he had left, the screen correctly displayed colors. It was an hour or so later that the problem arose. Still, this is the only type of cause resembling the types that have been proposed here, so I'm assuming the laptop is what brought this about.

yepp, battery power, magnetic, shouldv been the problem?
maby it started charging up while you where away, and that created a small magnetic field that messed with your screen

1. What causes computer screen color alteration?

There are several potential causes for computer screen color alteration, including software settings, graphics card issues, and hardware malfunctions. It could also be due to a damaged or outdated monitor.

2. How can I fix my computer screen color being altered?

The first step is to check your software settings and make sure the color profile is set correctly. If that doesn't fix the issue, try adjusting the monitor's color settings. If the problem persists, it may be a hardware issue and you may need to replace the monitor or graphics card.

3. Can a virus cause computer screen color alteration?

While it is possible for a virus to alter your computer screen color, it is not a common symptom. If you suspect a virus may be the cause, you should run a virus scan to confirm and remove any malicious software.

4. Are there any other factors that can cause computer screen color alteration?

Yes, other factors that can cause computer screen color alteration include electromagnetic interference, faulty cables, and outdated drivers. It can also be caused by changes in lighting or the surrounding environment.

5. Can I prevent my computer screen color from being altered?

To prevent computer screen color alteration, it is important to regularly update your software and drivers, use high-quality cables, and avoid exposing your monitor to extreme temperatures or sunlight. It is also a good idea to calibrate your monitor regularly to ensure accurate color display.