Savings/retirement/taxes questions?

• Thread starter Physics is Phun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Taxes
In summary, the individual is a university student in a co-op program and is making around 10-20k per year until they graduate in 2010. They have a maximum RRSP contribution limit that accumulates as they earn money, and they are wondering if it is a good idea to bring their taxes down to 0 while in co-op or to wait and have a higher contribution limit after graduation and working full-time. They are seeking advice on this matter.
Physics is Phun
savings/retirement/taxes questions??

hey all so I got my taxes done for this year. I'm a university student but I'm in a co-op program so I'm still making some money.
i just got one question...for now... I can make RRSP (registered retirement savings plan) (in Canada) contribution which are tax deductable...since I'm in school and on co-op my income will be about 10-20k per year until I graduate in 2010. so as I keep earning money my maximum RRSP contribution limit keep accumulating. this year i would've needed to put about $1000 into RRSPs to bring my taxes down to 0. I didn't cause i was too late for the 2006 year. So I'm wondering if it's a good idea to bring my taxes down to 0 in the following years while I'm in co-op making not that much money. or just suck it up and pay a bit more taxes now, and then have a higher contribution limit to my RRSPs for when after I graduate and working(hopefully) full time? cause then i'll be making more money, and taxes will be more of an issue so if i can make a bigger RRSP contribution it would bring my taxes down more considerable than it does now, since i'll be in a higher tax bracket
Just wondering if this sounds like a decent idea. I know the basics of doing taxes, but still nearly as much as I'd like.

Physics news on Phys.org
I googled Canada tax forum and found a site that looks promising. You might try asking your question there. Good luck!

http://forums.canadianbusiness.com/forum.jspa?forumID=20

Last edited by a moderator:

As a scientist, my expertise lies in a different field, but I can offer some general advice on savings, retirement, and taxes. It's great that you are thinking about these things at a young age and taking advantage of the tax benefits of an RRSP. Here are a few things to consider:

1. It's important to have a diversified retirement plan. While RRSPs are a great way to save for retirement, it's also important to consider other options like a TFSA (tax-free savings account) or a pension plan if offered through your employer. This will give you more flexibility and options in the future.

2. It's generally recommended to contribute to your RRSP when you are in a higher tax bracket, as the tax deduction will have a greater impact on your taxes. So if you anticipate being in a higher tax bracket after graduation, it may be beneficial to wait and make larger contributions then.

3. It's important to consider your current financial situation and future goals. If you have other debts or expenses, it may be more beneficial to pay those off first before making large RRSP contributions.

4. Keep in mind that RRSP contributions are not a one-time thing. You can continue to contribute each year, so don't feel pressured to contribute the maximum amount every year. Do what makes sense for your financial situation.

5. Lastly, it may be helpful to speak with a financial advisor or do some further research to determine the best strategy for your specific situation. They can provide personalized advice and help you make the most of your savings and retirement plans.

Overall, it's great that you are thinking about savings, retirement, and taxes at a young age. Just make sure to consider all factors and make decisions that align with your current and future financial goals.

1. What is the best way to save for retirement?

The best way to save for retirement is to start early and consistently contribute to a retirement account, such as a 401(k) or IRA. It is also important to diversify your investments and regularly review and adjust your savings plan as needed.

2. How much should I save for retirement?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question as it depends on individual factors such as age, income, and desired retirement lifestyle. As a general rule, it is recommended to save at least 10-15% of your income for retirement.

3. How do taxes affect my retirement savings?

Taxes can impact your retirement savings in multiple ways. Contributions to traditional retirement accounts are tax-deductible, meaning you can lower your taxable income. However, withdrawals from these accounts during retirement are subject to income tax. On the other hand, contributions to Roth retirement accounts are made with after-tax money, but withdrawals in retirement are tax-free.

4. Can I withdraw money from my retirement account before retirement?

Yes, it is possible to withdraw money from your retirement account before retirement, but it is generally not recommended as it can result in penalties and taxes. Exceptions may include certain financial hardships or using funds for a first-time home purchase.

5. How can I minimize taxes on my retirement income?

One way to minimize taxes on retirement income is to have a mix of taxable and tax-free retirement accounts. This allows for flexibility in choosing which account to withdraw from in order to manage your taxable income. It is also important to have a tax-efficient withdrawal strategy and take advantage of tax deductions and credits for retirees.