Small turboshaft turbine with 140kW

• Thread starter giber
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Turbine
In summary, the conversation discusses a project for a small turboshaft turbine with a power output of 140 kW for use in light helicopters and industrial co-generation. The person is looking for references on the efficiencies of the various components such as the compressor, turbine, and combustion chamber. The other person suggests using a basic thermodynamics text to calculate the efficiencies, but notes that for smaller turbines, the efficiencies may be slightly reduced. The project is in the conceptual stage and the person needs to arbitrate some efficiencies in order to begin their calculations. They may try contacting vendors directly for more information.
giber
hello, i have a project of a small turboshaft turbine with regenerator to produce a power of 140 kW, with aplications on ligth helicopters and industrial co-generation. does aonyone knows here i can find some references about te eficciencies of the components, such as compressor, turbine, combustion chamber?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sure. Any basic thermo text that covers the Brayton cycle.

i know that, but the problem is that for a small or micro turbine, the eficiency of the compressor, turbine, the saft that link the compressor to turbine and the free power turbine is less than normal, it´s about 70% to 80%, what i need is some information to choose and explain qhy i choose this or that eficience of the components

I know about the slight reduction when getting down to that size. However, the way to calculate the efficiencies and their definitions do not change. You need to be able to take the required data and crunch the numbers yourself. I can't think of any source that specifically deals with

Are you adapting an existing engine or is this something that is in the conceptual stage? You may try contacting vendors directly, but, if they are anything like we are, you're not going to get very far. It's worth a shot though.

the project is in the conceptual stage... it´s a preliminar project, to have some ideia about a turboshaft turbine that produces 140kw. i´m not using another tipe of engine, and to make the calculations i need the eficiencies, i knoe that i can obten them from de definitions, but for that i have to calculate anda have the temperatures end pressures. and for that i need the eficiences! so i have to arbitrate some eficiences to be able to start my calculations.

What is a small turboshaft turbine with 140kW?

A small turboshaft turbine with 140kW is a type of gas turbine engine used to power small aircraft, helicopters, and other vehicles. It is designed to produce 140 kilowatts (kW) of power, which is equivalent to approximately 188 horsepower.

How does a small turboshaft turbine with 140kW work?

A small turboshaft turbine with 140kW works by using a series of rotating blades to compress air and mix it with fuel. This mixture is then ignited and the resulting hot gases are used to power a turbine, which in turn drives the compressor and other engine components. The engine also has a shaft that connects to a gearbox, allowing it to power the vehicle's propeller or rotor.

What are the advantages of using a small turboshaft turbine with 140kW?

One of the main advantages of using a small turboshaft turbine with 140kW is its high power-to-weight ratio. This makes it a popular choice for light aircraft and helicopters, as it allows for efficient and reliable propulsion. Additionally, turboshaft engines are known for their smooth and quiet operation, making them more comfortable for passengers and pilots.

What are the limitations of a small turboshaft turbine with 140kW?

One limitation of a small turboshaft turbine with 140kW is its relatively high cost compared to other types of engines. It also requires regular maintenance and can be sensitive to extreme temperatures and altitudes. Additionally, the power output of a turboshaft engine is not as easily adjustable as other types of engines, making it less suitable for applications that require frequent changes in power.

What are some common uses for a small turboshaft turbine with 140kW?

A small turboshaft turbine with 140kW is commonly used in small aircraft, helicopters, and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs). It can also be found in some marine applications, such as powering small boats and watercraft. Additionally, turboshaft engines are used in some industrial and power generation settings, where they are known for their efficiency and reliability.