Lorentz-Fitzgerald Contraction or Time Dilation?

In summary, both Lorentz-Fitzgerald Contraction and Time Dilation can be used to explain the special relativistic effect of extended muon lifetime. However, there is no preferred frame, so neither explanation is "more correct" than the other. Different frames may require the use of different explanations, such as time dilation in the Earth's frame and length contraction in the muon's frame. Therefore, both explanations can be considered equally valid in explaining this effect.
Tlatoani
If I can explain a special relativistic effect with both Lorentz-Fitzgerald Contraction and Time Dilation, then which one is the correct answer?

Because, for example in the experiment with the muons coming from the atmosphere, the explanation was Time Dilation, but we can explain it with length contraction too, so which one is the correct answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
If your are talking about the extended lifetime of the muon, then it is the result of time dilation.

phyti said:
If your are talking about the extended lifetime of the muon, then it is the result of time dilation.

And can you tell me why is it time dilation instead of length contraction?

Both explain the same effect just fine. How do you know when it is length contraction or when it is time dilation?

In different frames there are different explanations--in the Earth's frame you must use time dilation to explain how a muon created by a cosmic ray hitting the upper atmosphere can make it all the way to the surface before decaying, while in the muon's frame you must use length contraction. There is no preferred frame, so neither explanation is "more correct" than the other.

Does the question "If I can explain a special relativistic effect with both Lorentz-Fitzgerald Contraction and Time Dilation, then which one is the correct answer?" suggests that one would be correct and the other would not be correct? Why can't both be correct? Then it woud not matter which explanation was used unless you know something that I do not know. See "https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=724" [Broken]" for an explanation that equates Lorentz-Fitzgerald Contraction with Time Dialation via the clock synchronization factor.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is two years old, but I agree: it's not an either-or thing.

Tlatoani said:
If I can explain a special relativistic effect with both Lorentz-Fitzgerald Contraction and Time Dilation, then which one is the correct answer?

Because, for example in the experiment with the muons coming from the atmosphere, the explanation was Time Dilation, but we can explain it with length contraction too, so which one is the correct answer?

If it is about the derivation of a formula which accounts for a special relativistic effect you find in the literature of the subject papers in which it is derived from formulas which account for another relativistic effect. So the addtion law of parallel velocities could be derived invoking length contraction and time dilation, the formula which accounts for the Doppler shift could be derived invoking the formula which accounts for time dilation, the formulas which account for the Lorentz transformtion could be derived from Lorentz contraction...
If you are interested in I could give you a list of such approaches.
I think that Asher Peres' paper "Relativistic telemetry' Am.J.Phys. is a good example for the problem we discuss.

Why can't both be correct?

I thought they were.

JesseM provided what I thought was the correct and clear explanation:

There is no preferred frame, so neither explanation is "more correct" than the other.

1. What is the Lorentz-Fitzgerald Contraction?

The Lorentz-Fitzgerald Contraction, also known as the Lorentz Contraction, is a phenomenon in which an object appears to be shortened when it is moving at high speeds relative to an observer. This was first proposed by scientists Hendrik Lorentz and George Fitzgerald in 1892 as a way to explain the null result of the Michelson-Morley experiment.

2. How does the Lorentz-Fitzgerald Contraction work?

The Lorentz-Fitzgerald Contraction is based on the idea that the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. When an object is moving at high speeds, its length in the direction of motion appears shorter to an observer. This is due to the time it takes for light to travel from different points on the object to the observer, causing a discrepancy in the perceived length.

3. What is time dilation in relation to the Lorentz-Fitzgerald Contraction?

Time dilation is another aspect of Einstein's theory of relativity that is closely related to the Lorentz-Fitzgerald Contraction. It states that time appears to pass slower for an object that is moving at high speeds relative to an observer. This is because as an object's speed increases, the rate of time for that object decreases.

4. How does the Lorentz-Fitzgerald Contraction impact our everyday lives?

The effects of the Lorentz-Fitzgerald Contraction are most noticeable at very high speeds, such as those experienced by particles in a particle accelerator. In our everyday lives, the effects are negligible and not noticeable to the average person. However, technologies such as GPS rely on the principles of relativity, including the Lorentz-Fitzgerald Contraction, to make accurate calculations and predictions.

5. Is the Lorentz-Fitzgerald Contraction a proven phenomenon?

Yes, the Lorentz-Fitzgerald Contraction has been proven through various experiments and is a fundamental concept in Einstein's theory of relativity. The effects of the Lorentz-Fitzgerald Contraction have been observed in particle accelerators, spacecraft, and other high-speed objects. It is a well-established principle in physics and is used in many modern technologies.