Battery Recharge In An AC Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses how batteries are recharged in an AC circuit, specifically in an electric car's rechargeable battery. It is mentioned that diodes are used to convert AC to DC, and that the induced current in the other coil would also be AC, making it impossible to charge a battery with AC. Instead, switched-inductor boost/buck converters are used in electric cars to store or release energy from the battery pack, making the process more efficient. The conversation ends with the speaker thanking the others for the information.
Chronothread
Hello everyone. This should be a fairly simple question to answer because I should really already know. Anyway, I was just wondering how exactly a battery is recharged in an AC circuit. In particular, I was looking at an electric car's rechargable battery. I know when you plug the car in the alternating current in the first coil causes magnetic flux thus causing an induced current in the other coil. However, isn't this second current also alternating? And if so, how is an alternating current used to charge a battery. Thank you for your time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Battery chargers use diodes to convert the AC to DC.

The induced current in the other coil would also be AC, and you can't charge batteries with AC as it would look like a short. So we follow the AC with a diode rectifier that removes from AC the negative alternating component, then it is filtered with capacitors to give you a pure DC.

Last edited:
Just a little nit-picking: electric cars do not use simple diodes for rectification. Instead, they use switched-inductor boost/buck converters to store energy in or release energy from the battery pack, which is DC. Same concept as a diode rectifier, but much more efficient and much easier to build.

- Warren

Thank you much. I had actually suspected a diode, but I wasn't completely sure. And it turns out I was wrong, when it comes to electric cars at least. Again, thank you for the information.

1. How does battery recharge work in an AC circuit?

In an AC circuit, battery recharge works by utilizing the alternating current to reverse the flow of electrons in the battery. This allows the battery to regain its charge and continue to power the circuit.

2. What is the difference between battery recharge in an AC circuit versus a DC circuit?

The main difference is the direction of current flow. In a DC circuit, the current flows in one direction, while in an AC circuit, the current alternates between two directions. This alternating current is what allows for battery recharge in an AC circuit.

3. How long does it take to fully recharge a battery in an AC circuit?

The time it takes to fully recharge a battery in an AC circuit depends on the type and size of the battery, as well as the current and voltage of the circuit. On average, it can take anywhere from 1-4 hours.

4. Can any type of battery be recharged in an AC circuit?

No, not all batteries can be recharged in an AC circuit. Only rechargeable batteries, such as lithium-ion or nickel-cadmium batteries, can be recharged in an AC circuit. Non-rechargeable batteries, like alkaline batteries, cannot be recharged.

5. Is it safe to leave a battery charging in an AC circuit overnight?

It is generally safe to leave a battery charging in an AC circuit overnight, as long as the battery is compatible with the charger and the charger is functioning properly. However, it is always recommended to follow the manufacturer's instructions and not leave a battery charging unattended for extended periods of time.