Happy 30th Birthday: STAR WARS

In summary, Star Wars is a movie that is very cool, funny, entertaining, and has complex characters for a Sci Fi film. Carrie Fisher, Princess Leia, owns one of my paintings. The problem is that we had to drive home - apparently we were all flying our star fighters. I remember this happening to me. My mind would drift back to the movie while I was driving, and the next thing you know, I'm doing about 80 mph down the blvd. Integral noted that people leaving the drive-in were driving like madmen and were very aggressive.
robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
http://starwars.com/
I remember standing in line for hours to see this... and I don't think it was even opening day.

StarWarsMoviePoster1977.jpg

wikipedia.org: Star Wars
IMDB: Star Wars

Stamps from USPS: http://www.uspsjedimaster.com/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Truly, its a great movie! Happy Birthday Star Wars!

This just adds to the list of things that are making me feel old.

Actress Carrie Fisher, Princess Leia, owns one of my paintings. Her father, singer Eddie Fisher, bought it for her at a gallery in Philadelphia. :approve:

Cool movie, funny, cool special effects for its time, entertaining, and some surprisingly complex characters for a Sci Fi film.

I love that movie (the first 3, not the new 3)!

I hope to see all the movies at least once in my lifetime.

Just when you though the old geezer had finally ended up at the movie cemetery, it springs back to life.

neutrino said:
I hope to see all the movies at least once in my lifetime.

Starting at 3pm EST, the Cinemax channel is playing all six episodes in a row.
http://www.cinemax.com/
(It'll also play on the HD channel and on Cinemax west.)

Alas, gone are the days of old, when you could line up three hours before the opening of a blockbuster. It was an event for me and my friends. Last film I ever did this for was Star Wars I*.

Integral and I were just talking about this and both remembered a unique aspect of the Star Wars experience - the introduction of a new generation of special effects. Today we take these and the new special effects for granted, but back then it was quite the big deal. Even the first scene left audiences spellbound. And when the movie ended, everyone would cheer and applaud, which by many accounts had never happened before at a movie.

The problem was that we had to drive home - apparently we were all flying our star fighters. I remember this happening to me. My mind would drift back to the movie while I was driving, and the next thing you know, I'm doing about 80 mph down the blvd. Integral noted that people leaving the drive-in were driving like madmen and were very aggressive.

I think it was about two days before my head cleared completely and the car was just a car again.

Cyrus, the same thing happened after I flew air combat, but it lasted for about a week. :biggrin:

Artman, very very cool! You must be extremely talented.

Last edited:
May the force be with you!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist :biggrin:

arunbg said:
May the force be with you!

And also with you.

Oh, wait, that's not right... I think I went Catholic for a moment.

Ivan Seeking said:
And also with you.

Oh, wait, that's not right... I think I went Catholic for a moment.

:rofl: May the pope be with you then!

robphy said:
Starting at 3pm EST, the Cinemax channel is playing all six episodes in a row.
http://www.cinemax.com/
(It'll also play on the HD channel and on Cinemax west.)
Thanks...but, alas, we don't get Cinemax where I live. I think 'Revenge of the Sith' is on tomorrow night in one of the movie channels.

Moridin said:
Just when you though the old geezer had finally ended up at the movie cemetery, it springs back to life.
It is forever young. It will never die!

1. What is the significance of "Happy 30th Birthday: STAR WARS"?

The phrase refers to the 30th anniversary of the release of the first Star Wars movie, which was released in 1977.

2. How did the Star Wars franchise celebrate its 30th anniversary?

The anniversary was celebrated with special events, merchandise, and re-releases of the original films in theaters. There was also a special convention held in Los Angeles.

3. What impact did Star Wars have on the film industry?

Star Wars revolutionized the film industry with its groundbreaking special effects and storytelling. It also popularized the concept of the blockbuster film and spawned a massive franchise of movies, books, toys, and other merchandise.

4. How has Star Wars influenced popular culture?

Star Wars has had a significant impact on popular culture, with its iconic characters, memorable quotes, and recognizable music. It has also inspired countless parodies, references, and tributes in other films, TV shows, and media.

5. What is the legacy of Star Wars 30 years after its release?

Three decades after its release, Star Wars continues to be a beloved and influential franchise, with new movies, TV shows, and merchandise being released regularly. Its impact on popular culture and the film industry is still evident, and it remains a source of nostalgia and joy for many fans.