Exploring the Differences between American and British Accents

• Thread starter ameriti$h
  • Start date
In summary: I don't know. Perhaps its just a Cristo crush :uhh:I prefer the british accent more, it's more... classy, don't you think?

what kind of accents in English would you like or prefer?and why?

• Irish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jamaican

• New Zealand

• Scottish

• South African

• Other

• Total voters
ameriti$h
Hi everyone.:smile:
Anybody knows there are many typs of "accents" in the English language, but the main focus is usually on American and British Accents.
I really want to know how would UKers react to american accent speaking callers and vice versa, In addition I've hearded British accent is more acceptable in the world, especially in the world outside US.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know that if you travel from New York to Boston, you will pass through about one dozen distinct accents. If every accent in the English language is identified, the number will be in the thousands.

On the other hand, how many international callers are choosing the english selection in the language menu?

I'd much rather hear a British accent than an American one.

However, there's so many different types of unique "British" accent that I think it's daft to try and cover them all by using one word. I could probably distinguish between about 25 different "British" accents, a linguist could probably distinguish a whole load more.

Not all British accents sound like Emily off Friends! :tongue:

none sound more refined than the Newfoundland accent though. IMO

I prefer British accents, but that's probably because I'm used to them. However, some American accents sound a lot better than some of the regional UK accents!

It depends what British accent you have on how helpful it is when travelling. I didn't think I had much of an accent but many European countries I've been to mistake me for being German from the accent.

I prefer the Dorset accent of southwest England.

Thanks to Robert Newton (from Dorset), all movie pirates copy the Dorset accent.

Though, I have to admit, I was fairly crushed when I found out pirates never actually said, "Arrrr, mateys!" :frown:

BobG said:
I was fairly crushed when I found out pirates never actually said, "Arrrr, mateys!"

They don't?! :cry:

OMG! Next, somebody's going to claim they didn't say "Avast" or "Shiver me Timbers"! My world is destroyed.

Cool! I am a pirate captain!

Warning, don't read the Pirate Nerd thread at work. :redface: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I can like, speak fluent Californian. It's like, totally the best accent there is in like all the english, man. I mean, dude, how are you supposed to understand someone who is from like, Texas or whatever when they're all like "howdy y'all" ahah oh and they're all like, weird and everything.

Californian.

Nobody answers my question:cry: I want to know how British people feel about American accent and vice versa?
I've heard that people prefer British to American even in US, right?

ameriti$h said:
Nobody answers my question:cry: I want to know how British people feel about American accent and vice versa?
I've heard that people prefer British to American even in US, right?

I heard some people speaking in like, a british accent and everything over the summer. it was like... ok haha

maybe i should stop with the accent.

Most American Accents sound nasal, to me. However my Favorite (American accent) is the New York accent, it is unique, bit like that City...

i prefer the british accent more, it's more... classy, don't you think?

and the manchester accent sounds so... (hmm what's the best word to describe it)... buff/sexy/fit? :wink:

sara_87 said:
and the manchester accent sounds so... (hmm what's the best word to describe it)... buff/sexy/fit? :wink:

:uhh: dude, its just an accent. would a 500 pound guy with french fries in his hands be sexy if he spoke with that accent?

In the 60's, the Liverpool accent sounded like $$$$$$ here in the US.

sara_87 said:

Alrigh'? Top, sorted mad fer it!

I don't know. Perhaps its just a Cristo crush :uhh:

sara_87 said:

it's only an accent, give me a break... actually in my part of the world the girls born in 87 are obsessed with the 'down-under' countries for some reason. guys from australia & new zealand are like rock stars when they come here & it's been like that for as long as i can remember. I've never understood it. neither have i even heard of a guy who wanted to travel to australia or new zealand though; it's just the 20 year old girls.

Ki Man said:
:uhh: dude, its just an accent. would a 500 pound guy with french fries in his hands be sexy if he spoke with that accent?
actually i don't think that would make a difference, believe it or not. in my town anyway, guys from australia or new zealand can get anything they want from the women here. i wouldn't be surprised if she were the same with manchester guys.

Kurdt said:
Alrigh'? Top, sorted mad fer it!

I don't know. Perhaps its just a Cristo crush :uhh:

How do you even know I've got a manc accent? Ok, well maybe I have a little bit of a manc accent-- but still, i severely doubt the "cristo crush" part! :rofl:

sara_87 said:

buff?? spot the londoner! :tongue2:

Last edited:
Kurdt said:
in my town anyway, guys from australia or new zealand can get anything they want from the women here.
Can I ask what the name of your town is?

sara 87 said:

I feel there is something "upper crust" and refined about the sound of an English accent.am i right?

cristo said:
How do you even know I've got a manc accent? Ok, well maybe I have a little bit of a manc accent-- but still, i severely doubt the "cristo crush" part! :rofl:

I was just guessing from your location, but of course being loacated in a place doesn't mean you have he accent. :wink:

ameriti$h said:
Kurdt said:
in my town anyway, guys from australia or new zealand can get anything they want from the women here.
Can I ask what the name of your town is?

I never said that. Twas Fourier jr.

fourier jr said:
actually i don't think that would make a difference, believe it or not. in my town anyway, guys from australia or new zealand can get anything they want from the women here. i wouldn't be surprised if she were the same with manchester guys.

they wish! lol
...although maybe a spanish accent would do it for me :tongue:

ameriti$h said:
I feel there is something "upper crust" and refined about the sound of an English accent.am i right?
If you're talking about the "james bond" type accent, then yes I guess you could say so, but I assure you that there are many UK accents that do not sound upper class in the slightest!

1. What is the main difference between American and British accents?

The main difference between American and British accents is the way certain vowels and consonants are pronounced. British accents tend to have a more rounded sound, while American accents have a flatter sound. Additionally, there are variations in intonation and word stress between the two accents.

2. Why do some Americans pronounce words differently than others?

There are many factors that can influence the way someone pronounces words in American English, such as regional dialects, cultural influences, and personal speech patterns. For example, someone from the South may have a different accent than someone from the Northeast.

3. Is there a "standard" American or British accent?

No, there is no single "standard" American or British accent. Both countries have a wide range of regional accents and dialects that vary in pronunciation, vocabulary, and grammar. Additionally, within each country, there are also different social and ethnic accents that can contribute to the diversity of accents.

4. Can someone learn to speak with an American or British accent?

Yes, it is possible for someone to learn to speak with an American or British accent, but it takes a lot of practice and exposure to the accent. It is important to note that there is no one "perfect" American or British accent, so someone may not be able to perfectly emulate a specific accent, but they can certainly work on improving their pronunciation and intonation to sound more natural.

5. Do American and British accents affect how people are perceived?

Yes, accents can play a role in how people are perceived, but it is not the only factor. Accents can give clues about someone's regional or cultural background, but it is important not to make assumptions based on someone's accent alone. People should be judged based on their words and actions, rather than their accent.