The typical formula for temperature drop in evaporative cooling models

In summary, to achieve the greatest temperature drop in air flow, the wet-bulb temperature can be calculated by passing warm air through a cotton sock acting as a wick immersed in water. The wet-bulb temperature is a function of dry bulb temperature and humidity and can be read off a psych chart. Websites such as NOAA and Trane offer resources for obtaining psych charts and temperature measurements.
T.Engineer
By passing warm air through a cotton sock acting as a wick immersed in water, how can I calculate the maximum evaporation to achieve the gratest temperature drop in the air flow? What is the typical formula for temperature drop in evaporative cooling models?

Science news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if there is an easy formula for it, but the number you are looking for is simply wet-bulb temperature. You can read it off a psych chart. It is a function of dry bulb temp and humidity.

Here's some info on the subject: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/elp/wxcalc/formulas/wetBulbTdFromRh.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for your replying. Can you tell me any websites that will provide me with psych charts , wet-bulb tempreture and dry bulb tempreture and Humidity? I mean free download.
Thanks alot.

1. What is the typical formula for temperature drop in evaporative cooling models?

The typical formula for temperature drop in evaporative cooling models is given by: ΔT = (Cp * m * (T1 - T2)) / (h * A), where ΔT is the temperature drop, Cp is the specific heat capacity, m is the mass flow rate of air, T1 is the initial temperature, T2 is the final temperature, h is the enthalpy of evaporation, and A is the surface area of the evaporative cooling system.

2. How is the specific heat capacity used in the formula for temperature drop in evaporative cooling models?

The specific heat capacity, Cp, is used to calculate the amount of heat energy required to change the temperature of a unit mass of air by 1 degree Celsius. It is an important factor in determining the cooling capacity of an evaporative cooling system.

3. What is the significance of the mass flow rate of air in the formula for temperature drop in evaporative cooling models?

The mass flow rate of air, m, is a measure of the amount of air passing through the evaporative cooling system per unit time. It is an important factor in determining the cooling capacity and efficiency of the system.

4. How does the enthalpy of evaporation affect the temperature drop in evaporative cooling models?

The enthalpy of evaporation, h, represents the amount of energy required to convert a unit mass of liquid into vapor at a constant temperature. As water evaporates from the surface of the evaporative cooling system, it absorbs heat energy from the surrounding air, resulting in a decrease in temperature.

5. What role does the surface area of the evaporative cooling system play in the formula for temperature drop?

The surface area, A, is a measure of the size of the evaporative cooling system. A larger surface area means more water can be exposed to the air, resulting in a greater temperature drop. It is an important factor in determining the cooling capacity and efficiency of the system.