Need help to proof Adjugate Matrix

In summary, we can show that adj(adj A) = |A|^(n-2) for a (n x n) square matrix A, where |A| is the determinant of A and A is not equal to zero. This can be proven by using the definition of adjugate and the properties of determinants.
nasromeo
Alo! I kinda need some assistance to proof this:

"Show that adj(adj A) = |A|^(n-2). A, if A is a (n x n) square matrix and |A| is not equal to zero"

NOTE: 1) adj(A) = adjugate of matrix A,
2) |A| = determinant of A,
3) ^ = power

I've tried to work around the equation using the formula: A^-1 = |A|^-1. adj(A), BUT doesn't seem to work at all. Sooo HELP!..and thanks in advance :biggrin:.

Physics news on Phys.org
The definition of Adj(A) is *not* given by a formula involving A inverse. It is defined even if A is not invertible.

Adj(X) satisfies X*Adj(X)=det(X)I.

We have [tex]A\cdot A^*=\det A\cdot I_n[/tex] (1)
Then [tex]det A\cdot\det A^*=(\det A)^n\Rightarrow\det A^*=(\det A)^{n-1}[/tex]
Applying (1) for [tex]A^*[/tex] we have
[tex]A^*\cdot (A^*)^*=\det A^*\cdot I_n[/tex].
Multiply both members by [tex]A[/tex]
[tex]A\cdot A^*(A^*)^*=det A^*\cdot A\Rightarrow \det A\cdot (A^*)^*=(\det A)^{n-1}\cdot A\Rightarrow[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow (A^*)^*=(det A)^{n-2}\cdot A[/tex]

1. What is an Adjugate Matrix?

The adjugate matrix, also known as the classical adjoint or adjunct matrix, is a square matrix that is formed by taking the transpose of the cofactor matrix of a given square matrix.

2. What is the purpose of finding the Adjugate Matrix?

The Adjugate Matrix is used to find the inverse of a square matrix. It is also used in solving systems of linear equations and in calculating determinants.

3. How do you calculate the Adjugate Matrix?

To calculate the Adjugate Matrix, you first need to find the cofactor matrix of the given square matrix. Then, take the transpose of the cofactor matrix to get the Adjugate Matrix.

4. Can the Adjugate Matrix be used for non-square matrices?

No, the Adjugate Matrix can only be calculated for square matrices. Non-square matrices do not have an Adjugate Matrix.

5. What properties does the Adjugate Matrix have?

The Adjugate Matrix has the following properties:

• The determinant of the Adjugate Matrix is equal to the determinant of the original matrix raised to the power of n-1, where n is the size of the matrix.
  • The product of a matrix and its Adjugate Matrix is equal to the determinant of the original matrix times the identity matrix.
  • If the original matrix is invertible, then the Adjugate Matrix is also invertible and their inverses are equal.