Diseases related to chemokines ?

• Thread starter karthik3k
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the relationship between chemokines and diseases, specifically Alzheimer's disease and autoimmune diseases. The participants also discuss the idea of a project involving docking chemokines and running molecular dynamics simulations. They suggest checking a paper on the topic and mention difficulties in finding information on metabolic pathways related to chemokines.
karthik3k
What are the diseases realated to chemokines ??
I couldn't find anything about it on KEGG database!

Biology news on Phys.org
Actually i got to design a project.
Since iam interested in Chemokines...
I wanted to do something like...
Docking chemokine...with ...
and running a MD (with AMBER/GROMACS) to check the Energy profiles ? of all clusters ..

Any idea How and what to start with ??

You should check the following paper

http://www.biophysj.org/cgi/content/full/83/6/3012

this paper should help you getting started

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks
I got only single paper from that journal. But that's a good start.
Where can i get about the information in metabolic pathways?
I couldn't find Chemokines in KEGG or may be i didnt know where to find in that.

1. What are chemokines and how do they relate to diseases?

Chemokines are a type of small protein that act as signaling molecules in the body. They play a key role in the immune response and are involved in various diseases, including inflammatory disorders, cancer, and infectious diseases.

2. How do chemokines contribute to the development of inflammatory diseases?

Chemokines are responsible for recruiting immune cells to the site of inflammation. When there is an excess of chemokines, it can lead to chronic inflammation, which can contribute to the development of diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, asthma, and inflammatory bowel disease.

3. Can chemokines be used as biomarkers for disease diagnosis?

Yes, chemokines have been identified as potential biomarkers for various diseases. Changes in chemokine levels can indicate the presence of inflammation or certain types of cancer. However, further research is needed to establish their reliability as biomarkers.

4. Are there any treatments that target chemokines for disease management?

Yes, there are currently several drugs on the market that target chemokines and their receptors. These drugs are used to treat diseases such as multiple sclerosis, HIV, and breast cancer. However, more research is needed to develop more effective and specific chemokine-targeting treatments.

5. Can changes in chemokine levels affect the severity or progression of a disease?

Yes, changes in chemokine levels can have a significant impact on the severity and progression of a disease. For example, higher levels of certain chemokines have been associated with more aggressive forms of cancer, while lower levels have been linked to a better response to treatment. Understanding and regulating chemokine levels can potentially improve disease outcomes.