Help entering formulas on calculator

In summary, the conversation is about finding an efficient way to enter frequently used formulas into either a HP-50g or TI-89T calculator. The speaker prefers using a computer to quickly enter the formulas and transfer them to the calculator, and is looking for recommendations that have a short learning curve. They also mention the availability of third party apps and the ease of learning TI basic.
Kryptonite
I have both a HP-50g and a TI-89T so let's not get into the debate of which is better...

I am basically trying to find the most efficient way to enter a bunch of formulas that I use over and over into either calculator. I would prefer some type of app where I can enter the formulas on a computer very quickly and then transfer them into the calculator. Possibly even some type of way where I can enter a few parameters in one place then use any formula to solve for unknowns.

While I have both calc's and can do basic functions on both, I am pretty green at doing more advanced things such as programming, etc. so please try and keep any recommendations to those where there isn't a huge learning curve and I can be entering formulas within a few minutes...

Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
There are many types of specialized third party apps for the 89:
http://www.ticalc.org/pub/89/

If you can't find the app you need, TI basic is pretty easy to learn.

Last edited:

There are a few different options for efficiently entering formulas on your calculator. One option is to use a spreadsheet program on your computer, such as Microsoft Excel, to input and organize your formulas. You can then transfer the formulas to your calculator using a USB cable or by manually inputting them. Another option is to use a calculator app on your phone or tablet, where you can easily input and save formulas for later use. Additionally, both the HP-50g and TI-89T have built-in programming capabilities, so you can create programs to input and solve formulas with ease. There are also online resources and tutorials available to help you learn how to program on your specific calculator. Whichever method you choose, it's important to practice and familiarize yourself with the process to become more efficient at entering formulas on your calculator.

What is a formula and why do I need to enter it on a calculator?

A formula is a mathematical expression that represents a relationship between variables. You need to enter it on a calculator to solve complex calculations quickly and accurately.

How do I enter a formula on a calculator?

To enter a formula on a calculator, you need to use the appropriate mathematical symbols and functions according to the formula. Most calculators have a "formula" or "equation" mode that allows you to input the formula in its natural form.

What do I do if I make a mistake while entering a formula on a calculator?

If you make a mistake while entering a formula on a calculator, you can use the backspace or delete button to erase the incorrect input. Some calculators also have an "undo" function that allows you to go back to the previous step.

Why is my calculator giving me an error when I enter a formula?

If your calculator is giving you an error when you enter a formula, it could be due to a few reasons. Make sure you are using the correct mathematical symbols and functions, and check that the formula is input correctly. Also, some calculators have limitations on the length or complexity of the formula they can solve.

Can I use a calculator to solve any type of formula?

Most calculators are capable of solving a wide range of formulas, but some may have limitations. It is best to check the manual or specifications of your calculator to see what types of formulas it can handle. In general, calculators are great for solving equations, but for more complex formulas, you may need specialized software or programming.