Another Birthday Probability Problem

• Thread starter e(ho0n3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, there are 8 groupings of people, each with 4 members. There are 12 total people, so there are 8*4=32 different combinations of people. If two people from the same group is picked and switched, that would be considered as another situation in u isnt? because u have order. But that would not count on v? because v is combination.
e(ho0n3
[SOLVED] Another Birthday Probability Problem

Homework Statement

Given 20 people, what is the probability that among the 12 months in the year there are 4 months containing exactly 2 birthdays and 4 containing exactly three birthdays.

Homework Equations

Axioms and basic theorems of probability.

The Attempt at a Solution

The sample space of this problem is a set of 20-tuples (n_1, ..., n_20) where n_i is an integer from 1 to 12 representing the month person i was born in. The sample space has u = 12^20 elements.

Divide the people into 8 distinct groups, 4 of 2 and 4 of 3. This can be done in

[tex]v = \frac{20!}{2!^4 3!^4}[/tex]

ways. Now each of these 8 groups needs to be assigned to a distinct month. Pick any ordering of the groups. The first group has 12 months to choose from, the second has 11 months to choose from, etc. There are thus w = 12 * 11 * ... * 5 = 12!/4! assignments.

The probability sought is vw/u. Unfortunately, when I calculate this I get a different answer than the book's 1.0604 x 10^-3. Where could I have gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your counting of the ways to assign the groups to months is not correct. Four months get assigned 4 people each (call these months "red"), four get assigned 2 people each ("blue"), and four get assigned 0 people each ("green"). How many distinct ways are there to "color" the 12 months?

When I use this count for w, I get your book's answer.

OK. I know what the problem with my counting is: In v, I'm counting permutations of possible groups. For example, if A, B, C, D are four 3-person groups, v is counting all possible 4-permutations of those groups as being distinct. v should actually be

[tex]\frac{20!}{2!^4 3!^4 4!^2}[/tex]

and that will produce the correct answer.

If I leave v unchanged however and consider the orderings of the groups, then I would have to ignore certain group-month assignments. For example, if groups A, B, C, D are assigned to months 1, 2, 3, 4, then I would have to ignore the assignment of D, C, B, A to months 4, 3, 2, 1 which I'm incorrectly counting in w. To ignore these, w needs to equal C(12,4) * C(8,4). That will produce the correct answer.

Thanks for the pointer Avodyne. I will mark this thread as solved now.

Sorry, I am new to these...But I have a quick question..
If two people from the same group (same month) is picked and switched.
That would be considered as another situation in u isnt? because u have order
But that would not count on v? because v is combination?
Then how can this be true?

THanks for any advice

1. What is the "Another Birthday Probability Problem"?

The "Another Birthday Probability Problem" is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the probability that in a group of n people, at least two people have the same birthday. It is also known as the "birthday paradox" or the "birthday problem".

2. How is the probability of two people having the same birthday calculated?

The probability of two people having the same birthday is calculated using the formula P(n) = 1 - (365!/(365^n*(365-n)!)), where n is the number of people in the group. This formula assumes that all birthdays are equally likely to occur and that there are 365 days in a year.

3. What is the significance of the "Another Birthday Probability Problem"?

The "Another Birthday Probability Problem" has real-world applications in fields such as cryptography, computer science, and social sciences. It also helps to illustrate the concept of probability and the counterintuitive nature of probability calculations.

4. Is it possible to have a group of people with no shared birthdays?

No, it is highly unlikely to have a group of people with no shared birthdays. In a group of 23 people, the probability of at least two people having the same birthday is 50%, and in a group of 70 people, it is over 99%. This means that in most cases, there will be at least two people with the same birthday in a group of people.

5. Can the "Another Birthday Probability Problem" be extended to include leap years?

Yes, the formula for calculating the probability can be modified to include leap years. Instead of assuming 365 days in a year, the calculation would use 366 days in a leap year. This would result in a slightly different probability, but the overall concept remains the same.