How to Find the Centre, Radius, and Interval of Convergence for a Power Series?

• Thread starter danni7070
  • Start date
In summary, the centre of the power series is x = -2, the radius of convergence is 1, and the interval of convergence is (-3,-1). The calculation for the radius of convergence involves taking the limit of n/(n+1) as n approaches infinity, which simplifies to 1. This means that the series will converge for values of x that make |x+2| less than 1. In the given example, the radius of convergence is actually 2, as there was a typo in the original problem.
danni7070
[Solved] How to calculate.

Homework Statement

Determine the centre, radius, and Interval of convergence of the power series.

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n} \frac{(x+2)}{2}^n [/tex]

Homework Equations

Radius of convergence

[tex] \frac{1}{R} = L = \lim_{n \to {\infty}} \frac{a_n+1}{a_n} [/tex]

so R = 1/L

and the interval is (x-R,x+R)

The Attempt at a Solution

Finding the centre is easy. x = -2

But the algebra stuff is getting me down. This is where I get confused. I took this from the solution manual and I can't figure out this result.

So we have [tex] R = \lim \frac{2^{n+1}(n+1)}{2^n n} = 2 [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
danni7070 said:

Homework Statement

Determine the centre, radius, and Interval of convergence of the power series.

Homework Equations

Radius of convergence

[tex] \frac{1}{R} = L = \lim_{n \to {\infty}} \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} [/tex]
Put { } around the "n+1" subscript.

so R = 1/L

and the interval is (x-R,x+R)

The Attempt at a Solution

Finding the centre is easy. x = -2

But the algebra stuff is getting me down. This is where I get confused. I took this from the solution manual and I can't figure out this result.

So we have [tex] R = \lim \frac{2^{n+1}(n+1)}{2^n n} = 2 [/tex]
Did you copy both the original problem and the solution correctly? In your original formula, that "2" in the denominator was NOT to the n power and so you will NOT have 2n in your ratio. In fact the factors of "2" in both an+1[/sup] and an will cancel and play no part. It should be obvious that
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n}\frac{(x+2)^n}{2}[/tex]
is the same as
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n}\(x+2)^n[/tex]
so the "1/2" plays no part in the convergence of the series.

You are given that [itex]a_n= (1/n)(x+2)^n[/itex] so [itex]a_{n+1}= (1/(n+1))(x+2)^{n+1}[/itex]. According to the "ratio test", that will converge as long as, in the limit, the ratio of consectutive terms goes to a limit of less than 1. The ratio you want is
[tex]\frac{1}{n+1}\frac{|x+2|^{n+1}}{2}\frac{n}{1}\frac{2}{|x+2|^n}[/tex]
which reduces to
[tex]\frac{n}{n+1}|x+2|}[/tex]
What is the limit of n/(n+1)?

Ok, first of all, thanks for taking time looking at this.

Limit of n/(n+1) is 1

This is exactly what I got. But how is R = 2 then?

Is it right to say that the limit of [tex]\frac{n}{n+1}|x+2|}[/tex] is 2 ?

I don't know what to do with the x in all these calculations.

Now, the limit of [tex]\frac{n}{n+1}|x+2|[/tex] is |x+2|. That will be less than 1 as long as -1< x+2< 1 or =-3< x< -1. The radius of convergence is 1.

That was why I asked if you were sure you had copied everything correctly.
If the problem were, instead,
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n}\left(\frac{x+2}{2}\right)^n[/tex]
or (same thing)
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n}\frac{(x+2)^n}{2^n}[/itex]
then the radius of convergence would be 2.

You are right! I didn't copy the example right!

It is indeed [tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n}\left(\frac{x+2}{2}\right)^n[/tex]

And then of course the radius of convergence is 2 !

Well, thanks a lot HallsofIvy. I'm kinda happy though that I wasn't doing anything wrong in my calculations, just a "small" typo.

Again thanks.

1. How do I calculate percentages?

To calculate a percentage, divide the number you want to find the percentage of by the total. Then, multiply by 100 and add a percentage symbol. For example, if you want to find 25% of 80, you would divide 25 by 80, which equals 0.3125. Then, multiply by 100 to get 31.25%. So, 25% of 80 is 31.25.

2. What is the order of operations in calculations?

The order of operations in calculations is PEMDAS, which stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), and Addition and Subtraction (from left to right). This means that calculations within parentheses are done first, followed by any exponents, then multiplication and division, and finally addition and subtraction.

3. How do I calculate the area of a shape?

To calculate the area of a shape, you need to know the formula for that specific shape. For example, the area of a square is found by multiplying the length of one side by itself. The area of a triangle is found by multiplying the base by the height and dividing by 2. Make sure to use the correct units when calculating area.

4. How do I convert between units of measurement?

To convert between units of measurement, you need to know the conversion factor between the two units. For example, to convert from inches to centimeters, you would multiply the number of inches by 2.54. It's important to pay attention to the direction of the conversion, as it may be different depending on the units used.

5. How do I calculate averages?

To calculate an average, add up all the numbers in a set and then divide by the number of items in the set. For example, if you have a set of test scores (70, 80, 90), you would add them up (70 + 80 + 90 = 240) and divide by the total number of scores (3). The average in this case would be 240/3 = 80. You can also calculate a weighted average by multiplying each number by its corresponding weight and then dividing by the sum of the weights.