How do you pronounce the name of the author of the popular topology book?

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Munkres
In summary, there is a debate over the correct pronunciation of the last name of the author of the popular topology book, "Elementary Differential Topology." Some say it is pronounced Mun-kers, while others say Munk-rees. It is possible that the author himself may not know the correct pronunciation as it varies among different sources. However, the author's name rhymes with the English word "bunkers" and is how his topology professor pronounced it.
ehrenfest
Does anyone know how to pronounce the name of the author of the popular topology book?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
moon-kruh

I say Mun-kers.

Uh, how is this a math question? Should be moved to GD or something.

http://say.expressivo.com/jennifer/munkres%20topology (but this is not definitive)

From "Elementary Differential Topology",
http://say.expressivo.com/jennifer/Differential%20topology%20may%20be%20defined%20as%20the%20study%20of%20those%20properties%20of%20differentiable%20manifolds%20which%20are%20invariant%20under%20differentiable%20homeomorphisms .

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always heard it pronounced Munk-rees

I thought Munkres was a French last name. That's why I said moon-kruh.

How would anyone who doesn't know Munkres personally know how to pronounce his last name. Just because your professor pronounces it a certain way does not mean he's right, because how does he know?

Last edited:
This page (I know, I know, it's not really an ideal source) makes me believe it's Mun-kers, which is how my topology professor pronounced it.

morphism said:
This page (I know, I know, it's not really an ideal source) makes me believe it's Mun-kers, which is how my topology professor pronounced it.

Since that page admits that there are various pronunciation of Munkres, is it possible that James Munkres himself doesn't know the pronunciation of his own last name (i.e. how it was pronounced by his ancestors)?

I took two classes from Professor Munkres in college. (He is a magnificent teacher, by the way.) His name rhymes with the English word "bunkers."

1. How do you pronounce "Munkres"?

The correct pronunciation of "Munkres" is muhn-kruhss. The first syllable is pronounced like "munch" without the "ch" sound, and the second syllable has a short "u" sound.

2. Is "Munkres" a common name?

No, "Munkres" is not a very common name. It is of German origin and is primarily found in the United States.

3. What is the meaning of the name "Munkres"?

The name "Munkres" is derived from the German word "monk" and the suffix "-er", which was often added to occupational names. Therefore, the name can be translated to mean "monk" or "monk-like person".

4. Are there any alternative pronunciations for "Munkres"?

Some people may pronounce "Munkres" with a long "u" sound, making it sound like "moon-kruhs". However, this is not the correct pronunciation and may be a result of regional dialects or personal preference.

5. What is the significance of the name "Munkres" in the scientific community?

The name "Munkres" is most commonly associated with mathematician and professor James R. Munkres, who is known for his work in topology and discrete mathematics. He has written several textbooks on these subjects and his name is often referenced in academic literature and discussions.