Need help with the specifics of an honors project

In summary, the conversation is about a student looking for ideas for an honors project in their physics class. They mention a suggestion from their chemistry professor to review molecular dynamics in drug-protein interactions and are now looking for ways to make the idea more specific and substantial. They also mention considering learning software for MD simulations and creating their own to accompany a paper. The conversation ends with a suggestion to do a project related to the class, such as studying trajectories of a trebuchet or linear oscillations of a ball between two springs.
louise82
Hey, here's the deal: I want to do an honors project (not a senior thesis or anything like that--just a project that will give me honors credit for my physics I w/ calc class)...

One of my chem professors suggested that I review the method and background of molecular dynamics as applied to drug protein interactions.

I need to submit a proposal (1/2-1pg) describing the specifics. In other words I need to make the idea a little meatier so that it gets approved...

One idea that I want to include is actually learning a bit of whatever software the phy dept. uses for MD simulations and making my own to accompany the paper I'll turn it at the end of the semester.

So, as far as writing up a formal assignment and breaking this topic down into specific areas, does anyone have an suggestions? Help me bulk this idea up because I'm thinking I could have some fun with this!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If your in physics 1, I would say your setting your goals a bit too high. Also, why would a chem professor suggest something for a physics class?

Because my physics prof didn't offer any ideas other than to discuss the philosophical evolution of classical physics--which I was told is too broad and to focus on something more specific in order for the proposal to be aproved. My organic prof does research with drug design and had a bookshelf full of physics books so I asked what he might suggest and this is what he came up with. I thought it sounded interesting and would allow me to use Newtonian physics. Not good? I'm definitely open to other suggestions, but my time is dwindling to get the proposal in. This is where some guidance would come in handy...I would think I could get that on a physics forum? :) Please, suggestions?

It's likely very interesting-- no doubt about that, but whether or not it is reasonable, that is a different question.
I like your Physics professor's idea. Who determines what project topic is good enough? I'm guessing not your physics professor. Find out who regulates these things and ask them about past projects.
I would do something related to the class. Maybe look at the trajectories of a trebuchet throwing flaming pianos and then write a small computer code to solve and graph the time evolution position of the flaming piano or something.
Maybe even look into linear oscillations of a ball fixed between two springs o the x-axis.

1. What is an honors project?

An honors project is an in-depth research or creative project that is completed by a student in order to fulfill the requirements for an honors program or honors designation. It typically involves original work and is more rigorous and complex than a regular course assignment.

2. How do I choose a topic for my honors project?

Choosing a topic for your honors project can be a daunting task. It is important to select a topic that is both interesting to you and relevant to your field of study. You may also want to consider consulting with your advisor or professors for suggestions and guidance. Ultimately, the topic should be something you are passionate about and willing to dedicate a significant amount of time and effort to.

3. What are the specific requirements for an honors project?

The specific requirements for an honors project will vary depending on your program and institution. However, some common requirements may include a minimum GPA, completion of specific courses, a research proposal, a final thesis or project, and a presentation or defense. It is important to carefully review the requirements and guidelines provided by your program or advisor.

4. How do I manage my time effectively while working on an honors project?

Time management is crucial when working on an honors project, as it can be a long and demanding process. It is important to create a schedule and stick to it, breaking down the project into smaller manageable tasks. Make sure to prioritize your tasks and take breaks when needed. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help or support from your advisor or peers.

5. How can I make my honors project stand out?

To make your honors project stand out, you should strive for originality, thoroughness, and excellence. Choose a topic that is unique and has not been extensively researched before. Put in the time and effort to thoroughly research and analyze your topic. Present your findings and ideas clearly and concisely. Additionally, you may want to consider incorporating multimedia, such as visual aids or technology, to enhance your project and make it more engaging.