When Should I start applying for full time positions?

• Admissions
  • Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation is about a student inquiring about the best time to start applying for full-time positions. They mention having experience and a good GPA in computer science from Penn State, and their plans to intern at either Microsoft or IBM. They also mention their interest in working with cutting-edge technology and their list of potential companies to apply to. The conversation also touches on the possibility of graduate school and the importance of applying early for certain companies that may require a security clearance.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone.

I was wondering if anyone knew what a good time to start applying for full time positions.
I still have 3 semesters left (2 after this currently semester.)

I'm going to be interning either at Microsoft or IBM this summer depending on how well the m$ interview goes.
My background is I already have 8 months experience working for IBM as a software engineering
My current GPA is 3.65
Major: Computer Science
University: Penn State

So can I start applying for full time positions in the fall? or should I do it sooner or what? I don't want to get an offer letter from any 1 company way before I would get offer letters of other company's though.

So far the list of company's I'm going to apply for when I graduate in the Spring 09 are:
Microsoft, IBM, Lockheed Martin, Google
If anyone else has any suggestions of small or big company's they heard are pretty fun to work for let me know!

Thanks.

-Cory

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I imagine sooner is better. Most of these will have details about their hiring process available online or on request if you contact them (or current/former employees). Can't hurt either to check with Penn State's career center type people / alumni association / your department.

Is there any particular niche you're after? (The inclusion of Lockheed Martin amuses me, for no particular reason other than Large Software Company, Large Computing Company, Aerospace, Large Software Company.) Boeing may be appropriate to add to the list depending on why LM is on it. Adobe, Apple, Intel, Amazon, HP, the NSA...loads of options. Any criteria?

Thats the thing, I'm not really sure what type of programming I enjoy the most. I don't like low level stuff. I don't want to be doing any type of embedded systems programming.

I like to constantly work with cutting edge technology. I like to learn new things and keep my resume growing. Microsoft seems most promising or Google. I doubt I can get into Google though but worth a try.

Thanks for the list! I'm going to start applying for full time jobs after this summer, because if I get the Microsoft intern I'll probably pick Microsoft. If not then I'll be looking because IBM I'm not a big fan of.

Apply early, and when you submit your resume, you might want to include a list of the courses available to you for your last two semesters and ask for suggestions. If they are interested in you and see a need for a particular skill-set, they may suggest that you take one or two courses that could help you advance their strategy for future development. For instance, MS is making an unsolicited bid for Yahoo! and may want to hire some people with very specialized skills to try to overtake Google.

Apply early to companies like Lockheed, Boeing, etc... because they may require a clearance.

mr_coffee said:
I like to constantly work with cutting edge technology. I like to learn new things

Grad school? To what extent does the above == research?

FrogPad said:
Apply early to companies like Lockheed, Boeing, etc... because they may require a clearance.

I don't think all their positions require it...but certainly some of the more interesting ones do.

1. When should I start applying for full time positions?

The best time to start applying for full time positions is typically 3-6 months before you plan to start working. This allows enough time for the application and interview process, as well as any potential delays in the hiring process.

2. Should I start applying for full time positions while still in school?

It is generally recommended to start applying for full time positions during your last semester of school. This will give you time to finish your studies and also allow for potential job offers to start after graduation.

3. Is it better to apply for full time positions early or wait until closer to my desired start date?

It is generally better to apply for full time positions early, as this gives you a better chance of securing a position and allows for more time to consider your options. Waiting until closer to your desired start date may limit your options and cause unnecessary stress.

4. When is the peak hiring season for full time positions?

The peak hiring season for full time positions varies by industry, but is generally in the early spring and fall. It is important to research the hiring trends in your specific field to determine the best time to apply.

5. Should I apply for full time positions even if I don't meet all of the qualifications?

Yes, you should still apply for full time positions even if you don't meet all of the qualifications. Many employers are willing to train and provide on-the-job learning for certain skills, so don't let a lack of experience or qualifications discourage you from applying.