What Happens When Tachyon Collides with Neutron?

In summary, tachyons are theoretical particles that are thought to not interact with other particles, so when colliding with a slower particle like a neutron, the tachyon would continue on its path without affecting the neutron's speed.
||spoon||
Hey, I am yet to study particle physics or QM but in a few forums i have read that there is a particle called a tachyon which travels faster than the speed of light. I told my mate this and he asked "if you collide a tachyon with say a neutron which is traveling lower than the speed of light what would happen" i.e at some point would they travel the speed of light due to conservation of momentum?

I obviously couldn't answer him because of the small amount i know about tachyons but i assume that this cannot occur for some reason or other (due to the properties of the tachyon perhaps?)

Well neither him nor me were satisfied with that answer... Could someone else suggest what might happen?

Thanks,

||spoon||

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately there is no definitive answer to your friend's question because tachyons are hypothetical particles, and thus have not been observed or studied in great detail. However, it is thought that due to their nature they would not interact with other particles, so when a tachyon collides with a neutron travelling at a slower speed, the tachyon would continue on its path unaffected. This is because any interaction between the tachyon and the neutron would require the exchange of energy and momentum, which is not possible due to the tachyon's properties as a particle that moves faster than light.

It is important to note that tachyons are purely theoretical particles and have not been observed in nature. They are hypothesized to travel faster than the speed of light, which goes against the principles of special relativity. Therefore, it is difficult to predict exactly what would happen in a collision between a tachyon and a neutron.

Some theories suggest that a tachyon would not collide with a neutron because they would have different energy levels and therefore would not interact. Other theories propose that a tachyon would simply pass through the neutron without any interaction.

However, if we were to assume that a collision between a tachyon and a neutron were to occur, it is likely that the tachyon would transfer some of its energy to the neutron. This could potentially cause the neutron to accelerate and reach speeds closer to the speed of light. However, it is important to note that the concept of conservation of momentum may not apply in this scenario, as tachyons are not bound by the same laws of physics as other particles.

Overall, it is difficult to predict the exact outcome of a collision between a tachyon and a neutron, as the properties and behavior of tachyons are still largely unknown. Further research and experimentation would be needed to fully understand the potential effects of such a collision.

What is a tachyon and a neutron?

A tachyon is a hypothetical particle that travels faster than the speed of light. A neutron is a subatomic particle found in the nucleus of an atom.

What happens when a tachyon collides with a neutron?

When a tachyon collides with a neutron, the two particles would likely annihilate each other, releasing a large amount of energy.

Can tachyons and neutrons actually collide?

At this time, there is no evidence to suggest that tachyons or faster-than-light particles exist. Therefore, it is not possible for them to collide with neutrons or any other particles.

What would be the result of a tachyon-neutron collision?

If tachyons and neutrons were to collide, the resulting energy release would likely be catastrophic and could potentially create a black hole.

Are there any real-world implications of a tachyon-neutron collision?

Since tachyons and faster-than-light particles have not been proven to exist, there are no immediate real-world implications of a tachyon-neutron collision. However, further research into these particles could potentially lead to new understandings of the laws of physics.