Light Frequencies: Exploring Visible & Beyond

In summary, light in a vacuum travels at the same speed regardless of its frequency. In transparent media, there may be a slight difference in speed due to dispersion, which is caused by the relationship between frequency and wavelength. The full spectrum of light, including ultraviolet and infrared, is always present in light. The same is true for sound, where all frequencies travel together at the same speed. However, in media with different refractive indices, there may be a slight difference in speed between different frequencies.
EVT
My first post... I'm studying physics at school (9th grade) and learned that light has lots of different frequencies above/below visible spectrum. I also know that the speed of light is a constant (300Kps). My question is, does light (all frequencies) travel together like one multilayered wave... leaving and arriving at the same time? I just don't see how the light in the complete spectrum can travel at the same speed. Doesnt make sense. Is sound the same way? I know we have audible frequencies and inaudible. When a sound is struck, does all the sound from 1 Hz to 1MHZ (or whatever the highest is) all move together at the same speed?

One final question. When I turn on a light bulb, does it have all of the frequencies, even though I only see certain wavelengths? Is the full spectrum always present in light, even ultraviolet and infrared?

Sorry if my questions are too basic. I can't find the answers in my textbook, and I'm a bit introverted so I don't like to ask my teacher in class.

THANK YOU!

Science news on Phys.org
In normal media, all frequencies of sound and light have the same propagation velocity.

In general, a light bulb will produce non-zero quantities of electromagnetic radiation all over the spectrum. It is very nearly a "blackbody" or thermal radiator, and the blackbody radiation curve does not fall to zero.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_body

Keep in mind that the vast majority of the energy is radiated in the infrared and visible parts of the spectrum. There's a little bit of ultraviolet, but that's stopped by the glass surrounding the filament. There's also some radio emission, but it's negligible.

- Warren

An interesting thing about sound: Suppose you're at a concert in a large auditorium. A person in the first row hears the sound of the tuba (low frequency) and the sound of the flute (high frequency) at the same time. A person in the back row also hear the sound of the tuba and the flute at the same time. Everyone in the whole place report that the musicians' timing was perfect. The speed of the wave didn't depend on the frequency. Imagine what would have happened if the speed of sound did depend on the frequency: in that case, it would only be possible to make the orchestra's timing sound perfect for the people in one part of the auditorium by messing it up for the people in another part of the auditorium. Luckily, we don't have that problem.

There's a very slight dependence of wave speed on the frequency, but usually we won't notice it. But it's fun to mention a few places where we can notice it.

When light crosses the boundary from air to glass, the light of the blue-violet end of the spectrum slows down just a tiny bit more than the light of the red-orange end of the spectrum slows down. Therefore the direction of the blue-violet rays bends more. This causes the spreading out (dispersion) of the colors that come out of a glass prism. I think the rainbow is the prettiest application of all.

I'll tell you one place where this dispersion is a nuisance. When you're trying to focus a camera, movie projector, binoculars, etc., you can never focus it perfectly. One of the reasons for that is the focal length of the lens (the distance from the lens to a point, where parallel rays that went into the lens will come out of the lens to converge at the point) will be a slightly different length for the red end and the violet end. This is called chromatic aberration. We might never notice it, but it bugs the professional protographers.

Sodium lights

EVT said:
One final question. When I turn on a light bulb, does it have all of the frequencies, even though I only see certain wavelengths? Is the full spectrum always present in light, even ultraviolet and infrared?

Hi EVT! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Here in England, a lot of our street light are sodium lights, which only emit two particular frequencies of yellow light.

So my mum's yellow car, by comparison with everything else, used to look white at night! :smile:

Welcome to PF!

Light in a vacuum will travel at the same speed, regardless of wavelength (c wouldn't be a constant otherwise). In transparent media such as air, water and glass, there tends is a very slight difference in speed with different wavelengths, because the refractive index tends to vary slightly with wavelength (the technical term for this is material dispersion) - and as you might be aware, light travels slower in media with higher refractive indicies.

Claude.

EVT said:
My first post... I'm studying physics at school (9th grade) and learned that light has lots of different frequencies above/below visible spectrum. I also know that the speed of light is a constant (300Kps). My question is, does light (all frequencies) travel together like one multilayered wave... leaving and arriving at the same time? I just don't see how the light in the complete spectrum can travel at the same speed. Doesnt make sense. Is sound the same way? I know we have audible frequencies and inaudible. When a sound is struck, does all the sound from 1 Hz to 1MHZ (or whatever the highest is) all move together at the same speed?

Sorry if my questions are too basic. I can't find the answers in my textbook, and I'm a bit introverted so I don't like to ask my teacher in class.

THANK YOU!

What you are asking about is 'dispersion'. Dispersion is the realtionship between frequency and wavelength. If it is a linear relationship ([tex]\nu=c_{0}\lambda[/tex]), as is the case for electromagnetic wave in a vacuum, the velocity of the wave is independent of the wavelength. In any material, the dispersion formula is given as [tex]\nu=\frac{c_{0}}{n(\lambda)}\lambda[/tex], where n(\lambda) is the refractive index. Now, the velocity is wavelength-dependent.

Sound waves also have dispersion, becasue sound waves *must* travel in a medium.

A lightbulb- specifically the tungsten filament, gives off a spectrum that approximates a 3000 K blackbody, and it has the majority of light output in the IR. The glass bulb and the air will modify the spectral ouput somewhat depending on the absorptive properties- think of colored christmas tree lights.

1. What are light frequencies?

Light frequencies refer to the different wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation that make up the visible spectrum, ranging from red to violet. These wavelengths are measured in nanometers (nm) and determine the color of light that we can see with our eyes.

2. How is the visible spectrum organized?

The visible spectrum is organized into seven main colors: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet. These colors are arranged in order of increasing wavelength, with red having the longest wavelength and violet having the shortest.

3. What is the relationship between light frequency and energy?

The higher the frequency of light, the higher its energy. This is because higher frequency light has shorter wavelengths and carries more energy per photon. This is why blue light, which has a higher frequency than red light, is more energetic and can cause more damage to our eyes.

4. How do we perceive different colors of light?

Our eyes contain specialized cells called cones that are sensitive to different wavelengths of light. These cones send signals to our brain, which interprets the signals as different colors. The combination of signals from different cones allows us to see a wide range of colors.

5. What are some applications of light frequencies beyond the visible spectrum?

Light frequencies beyond the visible spectrum, such as ultraviolet and infrared, have many practical applications. For example, ultraviolet light is used in sterilization processes, while infrared light is used in thermal imaging and remote controls. These frequencies also have important uses in fields like astronomy and medicine.