Sidney Coleman Lectures Free on the Net

In summary, Harvard University has recently made available streaming videos of Sidney Coleman's Quantum Field Theory lectures from 1975-1976. Additionally, Bryan Chen has transcribed the first eleven lectures into TeX format. These resources are beneficial for anyone studying or interested in QFT. More information and notes about the lectures can be found on the websites of other universities. The videos cannot be downloaded, but some users have found ways to save them using specific programs and add-ons.
Mk
Harvard has now put up streaming videos of Sidney Coleman’s 1975-1976 Quantum Field Theory lectures. Bryan Chen has also transcribed the first eleven lectures to TeX format!.
http://www.physics.harvard.edu/about/Phys253.html
http://www.physics.upenn.edu/~chb/

So, good for anybody that's studying or interested in QFT.

Notes also, here:
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/dt281/qft.html

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose these videos can't be downloaded since they are streaming. Anyone know how to download them?

I love how he pauses to light up a smoke a couple minutes into the first lecture. Times have changed! It is right after his joke about stealing library books, where he demonstrates he has a laugh worthy of a world class physicist. I hadn't heard of him before, but it appears he was well loved and had a reputation as a great lecturer. It is beyond my level, but fun to watch.

edit: to download, use Firefox with DownloadHelper addon, to save to .flv file which can be played with VLC or ZoomPlayer

Thanks. I figured that on my own soon after I made that post in march.

I used to use opera (i'm a mac user) till I read this topic. Now, just because of that DownloadHelper add-on, I returned to Firefox :D

1. What are the Sidney Coleman Lectures?

The Sidney Coleman Lectures are a series of physics lectures given by renowned physicist Sidney Coleman at Harvard University in the 1980s and 1990s. They cover a wide range of topics in theoretical physics, including quantum field theory, particle physics, and cosmology.

2. Are the Sidney Coleman Lectures available for free on the internet?

Yes, the lectures have been made available for free on the internet by Harvard University. They can be accessed through the Harvard Physics Department website or through various online platforms such as YouTube.

3. How many lectures are included in the Sidney Coleman Lectures series?

The full series consists of 21 lectures, each approximately 1 hour long. However, there are also several additional lectures and question and answer sessions available, bringing the total to over 30 hours of content.

4. Who can benefit from watching the Sidney Coleman Lectures?

The lectures are aimed at advanced undergraduate and graduate students in physics, as well as researchers and professionals in the field. However, they are presented in a clear and engaging manner, making them accessible to anyone with an interest in theoretical physics.

5. Can I download the Sidney Coleman Lectures for offline viewing?

Yes, Harvard University allows the lectures to be downloaded for personal use. However, they are also available for streaming online, so an internet connection is not necessary to watch them.