Mousetrap Racer: Maximizing Speed & Minimizing Friction

In summary, the key variables for making a successful mousetrap racer include torque, wheel friction, bearing resistance, length of throw, impulse time, and vehicle mass. To achieve high acceleration, one must balance a strong spring or short throw with low bearing resistance and high traction. Using half CD wheels and drilling circles into the wheels and body can also contribute to a faster racer. However, there is no one solution as it ultimately depends on individual needs and tradeoffs.
Sutton360
There is a lot of stuff on the web about how to make a mousetrap racer go for a long distance. For anyone who has done anything on Mousetrap racers, do you know the way to make the racer accelerate to its top speed fastest, considering torque and friction, without making it skid. Should i use CDs as wheels or plastic wheels?

Thankyou very mcuh for your assistance :)

Sutton360

Physics news on Phys.org
A Mousetrap racer is essentially a single throw engine. Major variables are torque, wheel friction, bearing resistance, length of throw, impulse time and vechicle mass.

If you want high acceleration you need a strong spring or a short throw with low bearing resistance and high traction. Problem is that the high friction that gets you off the mark with minimum wheel spin means more losses to ground friction ( braking ) after the impulse is spent. Like most complex mechanisms there is no silver bullet. It's about what tradeoffs work best for your specific needs.

i used cd wheels
actually, use half cd wheels
see dvd's and cd's have two layers on them, but its ideal to have just one layer and some dvd 50 packs have them in it (odd just a clear disk that doesn't work and randomly gets placed somewhere in the pack).
less weight helps you. also drill circles into your wheels and body without damaging anything or making it collapse. Its all about experimentation and trade offs as mentioned above

If you put pegs out the sides of the wheels and pegs sticking up off the ground (attached and stationary), you could get your initial push with no slippage at all.

1. What is a mousetrap racer?

A mousetrap racer is a simple vehicle powered by the energy of a mousetrap spring. It typically consists of a small car with a mousetrap attached to one end and a string or axle attached to the other. When the mousetrap is triggered, the string or axle is pulled, propelling the car forward.

2. How can I maximize the speed of my mousetrap racer?

There are several ways to maximize the speed of a mousetrap racer. One way is to reduce the weight of the car as much as possible, as this will decrease the amount of energy needed to propel it forward. Other methods include using a longer and stiffer spring in the mousetrap, as well as reducing friction between the car's wheels and the surface it is traveling on.

3. What is friction and how does it affect the performance of a mousetrap racer?

Friction is the force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact. In the case of a mousetrap racer, friction between the wheels and the ground can significantly slow down the car and decrease its speed. To minimize friction, it is important to use smooth and lightweight materials for the wheels, as well as ensuring that they are properly aligned and lubricated.

4. How can I make my mousetrap racer more efficient?

To make a mousetrap racer more efficient, it is important to focus on both speed and minimizing friction. This can be achieved by carefully selecting materials for the car's body and wheels, as well as experimenting with different designs to find the most aerodynamic shape. Additionally, properly tuning the mousetrap's spring and trigger mechanism can also improve efficiency.

5. What are some safety precautions to keep in mind when building and using a mousetrap racer?

When building and using a mousetrap racer, it is important to follow basic safety precautions. This includes wearing protective gear such as goggles and gloves, as well as keeping your fingers and other body parts away from the mousetrap's spring and trigger mechanism. It is also important to test the racer in a safe and open area, away from people and fragile objects.