Building a Simple Transistor Amplifier: Tips and Tricks

In summary, the conversation is about building a voltage amplifier using transistors and resistors. The original poster is looking for a simple design with no more than 2 or 4 transistors. They are also seeking information on hFE, biasing, and negative feedback. The conversation then moves on to discussing a differential amplifier using a thermocouple, with some troubleshooting and suggestions for improvement.
Ciani
Hello, I would like to build a Voltage Amplifier, I did one with 2 Transistors but doesn´t work, it doesn´t amplify.
Do you know pleas how to build an Amplifier with transistors and resistors? an easy one with no more then 2 or 4 transistors please. Do you all think it´s possible?
Ciani

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Sounds like you want to build an amp out of separate components.
What do you know about hFE, biasing and perhaps negative feedback?

For some samples, you could try to google the subject -> one transistor amplifier

Last edited by a moderator:
See "Voltamp.jpg" please. It doesn´t work, two wires of different materials, united at the one end, if you touch that point the voltmeter should amplify the 0,001 Volt that is caused by the different temp.

Don´t know your terms Notime, sorry, and transistor amp. with AC don´t want to study. I am doing DC, stop.

Ciao.

Attachments

• Voltamp.JPG
    Voltamp.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 423
I split these posts out of the old thread they were appended to, and started this new thread. I also moved the thread out of EE to here in the Homework Help forums.

Welcome to the PF, Ciani. That is a differential amplifier that should give you a differential output voltage that varies with the thermocouple temperature. What voltages do you measure at the various nodes in the circuit?

Thanks a lot,
The circuit should measure 1 mV changes.
One of the two wires during transport has gone broken, transistors are type B547C but I don´t think it is relevant by such a circuit.

Ciao

Attachments

• DSCI0180.JPG
    DSCI0180.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 471
  • DSCI0179.JPG
    DSCI0179.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 464
Last edited:
At this point, I'm not sure what your question is.
You can use the schematic you posted before as a guide to reconnect the wire.

Good luck.

What is a Differential Thermocouple Amp?

A Differential Thermocouple Amp is an electronic device used to measure temperature by comparing the voltage output from two different thermocouples. It amplifies the small voltage difference between the two thermocouples and converts it into a measurable temperature reading.

How does a Differential Thermocouple Amp work?

A Differential Thermocouple Amp works by using the Seebeck effect, which states that when two different metals are joined together at two different temperatures, a voltage is produced. The voltage produced is proportional to the temperature difference between the two junctions, which can be measured and converted into a temperature reading.

What are the advantages of using a Differential Thermocouple Amp?

The main advantage of using a Differential Thermocouple Amp is its ability to accurately measure temperature in situations where there may be large temperature gradients or variations. It also has a wide temperature range and is not affected by electrical noise or interference.

What are the common applications of Differential Thermocouple Amps?

Differential Thermocouple Amps are commonly used in industrial settings to measure temperature in processes such as heating, cooling, and chemical reactions. They are also used in scientific research, automotive and aerospace industries, and in household appliances.

How accurate are Differential Thermocouple Amps?

The accuracy of a Differential Thermocouple Amp depends on various factors such as the quality of the thermocouples used, the calibration of the device, and the environmental conditions. However, they are generally considered to be highly accurate, with most models having a precision of 1-2 degrees Celsius.