Struggling with Math Problems in Apostol's Book - What Should I Do?

• Thread starter uman
  • Start date
In summary, people who are not able to solve a couple of problems in a given chapter are not necessarily a bad thing. The book may be too easy for them.
uman
Hi all. What do you do when you are reading a math book and there are multiple problems you can't solve in a chapter?

For example, I am trying to learn from Apostol's book "Mathematical Analysis". In the problems at the end of the first chapter there are two that I haven't been able to figure out how to solve. It seems like the solution should be so simple but I'm just not seeing it. (There are two more I haven't attempted yet, but I think I can solve them.) Does this mean I'm not ready for the book and should get an easier one? Or is not being able to solve a couple problems in a chapter normal?

In case anyone's wondering, here's one of the problems I haven't been able to figure out:

Let [tex]w[/tex] be a given complex number. If [tex]w\not=\pm 1[/tex], show that there exist two values of [tex]z=x + iy[/tex] satisfying the conditions [tex]cos(z)=w[/tex] and [tex]-\pi<x\leq\pi[/tex].

The identity [tex]cos(z) = cos(-z)[/tex] says that if there is one such [tex]z[/tex], there have to be two... Other than that I'm at a loss.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
uman said:
Hi all. What do you do when you are reading a math book and there are multiple problems you can't solve in a chapter?
I keep a set of notes per book with a section with problems that I can't solve.

Does this mean I'm not ready for the book and should get an easier one? Or is not being able to solve a couple problems in a chapter normal?
If you're able to solve all the problems in the book without trouble, I would say the book was too easy.

Let [tex]w[/tex] be a given complex number. If [tex]w\not=\pm 1[/tex], show that there exist two values of [tex]z=x + iy[/tex] satisfying the conditions [tex]cos(z)=w[/tex] and [tex]-\pi<x\leq\pi[/tex].

The identity [tex]cos(z) = cos(-z)[/tex] says that if there is one such [tex]z[/tex], there have to be two... Other than that I'm at a loss.
Try to solve a more specific problem, say w = 0, w = i, or w = 1 + i. This should provide you with some insight.

uman said:
For example, I am trying to learn from Apostol's book "Mathematical Analysis". In the problems at the end of the first chapter there are two that I haven't been able to figure out how to solve. It seems like the solution should be so simple but I'm just not seeing it. (There are two more I haven't attempted yet, but I think I can solve them.) Does this mean I'm not ready for the book and should get an easier one? Or is not being able to solve a couple problems in a chapter normal?
Personally I don't know of anyone who is able to solve every single problem in a given textbook. Usually the authors would throw in a few difficult ones for every chapter's exercises. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't attempt to solve them.

Thanks for the encouragement. The first chapter was starting to get boring (as "first chapters" tend to do) so I decided to move on and come back to try to solve those problems again later.

One of the ones I didn't attempt was proving the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality for complex numbers (the book gives a hint that looks like it makes this reasonably easy although I haven't tried) which according to the book is an extremely important result in analysis... so I may have to come back to that sooner rather than later, lol.

You can also try posting the questions and your attempt at solutions in the homework help section of this forum.

What is the definition of "Inability to solve problems"?

Inability to solve problems refers to the difficulty or inability to effectively identify, analyze, and solve complex problems or challenges. It can manifest in various ways, such as struggling to come up with solutions, getting stuck or overwhelmed when faced with problems, or consistently making poor decisions.

What causes the inability to solve problems?

There can be various factors that contribute to the inability to solve problems, including cognitive limitations, lack of problem-solving skills or experience, emotional or psychological barriers, and external factors such as time constraints or lack of resources. Additionally, certain neurological or developmental conditions may also affect an individual's problem-solving abilities.

Can the inability to solve problems be improved?

Yes, the inability to solve problems can be improved through various strategies and techniques. These may include learning and practicing problem-solving skills, seeking support or guidance from others, seeking professional help to address underlying emotional or psychological barriers, and using tools such as brainstorming, decision-making frameworks, or problem-solving models.

How does the inability to solve problems affect daily life?

The inability to solve problems can significantly impact an individual's daily life, as it may lead to difficulties in completing tasks, making decisions, and achieving goals. It can also cause frustration, stress, and low self-esteem, as well as affect relationships and overall well-being. In some cases, the inability to solve problems may also hinder professional or academic success.

Are there any strategies to prevent the inability to solve problems?

While some factors contributing to the inability to solve problems may be out of an individual's control, there are certain strategies that can help prevent or reduce its impact. These include regularly challenging and exercising problem-solving skills, seeking support or guidance when faced with difficult problems, maintaining a positive and open mindset, and addressing any underlying emotional or psychological barriers. Additionally, practicing self-care and managing stress levels can also help improve problem-solving abilities.