3 and 4 velocity and acceleration

In summary: Note that this is not the coordinate velocity of a particle in the comoving frame (which is dx/dt = 0) but rather \dot{x}/a(t) = H(t) x = v_p, where \dot{x} is the coordinate velocity and v_p is the proper velocity. The comoving coordinate system is a synchronous system of comoving observers for which proper time is the same as coordinate time."In summary, Proper Velocity is the coordinate velocity divided by the scale factor a(t). As I said in my earlier post, it is the relativistic momentum divided by the rest mass.In summary, In a conversation about the concepts and definitions of velocity and acceleration, it is discussed how to measure them
yuiop
Hi,

could someone clarify some concepts and definitions for me, concerning how velocity and acceleration are measured?

Please consider the following setup (to keep it simple for me :biggrin:)

We have a linear accelerator in a lab. A small mass (maybe a proton) is accelerated to 0.8c in one second. The accelerator is designed to accelerate the mass with constant proper acceleration. All motion is in a straight line and I only want to consider motion along the x-axis and time t.

0.8c is the velocity measured in the lab frame in the normal way as v=x/t. (Thats the 3 velocity right?)

From the relativistic rocket equations http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/rocket.html the proper acceleration (a) can be found from the equation:

[tex] a = \frac{v}{t\sqrt{1-(v/c)^2}}[/tex]

which with t=1 second and v=0.8c as measured in the lab the value of the constant proper acceleration works out as 1.3333

So after 1 second in the lab frame with constant proper acceleration of 1.3333 what is the:

Proper velocity of the particle? (I assume zero?)
3 velocity of the particle in the lab frame? (I assume 0.8c?)
4 velocity of the particle? (c?)

Proper acceleration of the particle? (1.3333 assumed)
3 acceleration of the particle in the lab frame? (I assume 1.3333/gamma^3)?
4 acceleration of the particle?

where gamma is 1/0.6 calculated from the instaneous velocity of 0.8c

Also, what is the:

Proper force acting on the particle?
3 force acting on the particle?
4 force acting on the particle?

After 2 seconds with constant acceleration the velocity of the particle in the lab would be

[tex] v = \frac{at}{\sqrt{1+(at/c)^2}} = 0.93633c [/tex]

what would the corresponding proper, 3 and 4 vector quantities be after 2 seconds?

If you can give any additional insight as to what the terms mean in a practical sense that would be very much appreciated :smile:

It is often mentioned that acceleration and the force causing the acceleration are not always parallel in relativity. I assume that is not he case in this particular example?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
kev said:
Proper velocity of the particle? (I assume zero?)
I haven't heard the term "proper velocity" before. It seems like a useless concept if it's defined so that it's always zero. :smile:
kev said:
3 velocity of the particle in the lab frame? (I assume 0.8c?)
Of course.
kev said:
4 velocity of the particle? (c?)
You know it's (1 0) in the co-moving frame, so it must be

[tex]\gamma\begin{pmatrix}1 && v\\v && 1\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}1\\0\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

where v=0.8. Its Minkowski space norm is always 1 (i.e. =c) though.
kev said:
Proper acceleration of the particle? (1.3333 assumed)
Yes, your calculation looks correct.

kev said:
3 acceleration of the particle in the lab frame? (I assume 1.3333/gamma^3)?
That's what I get too.
kev said:
4 acceleration of the particle?
It's components are (0 a) in the co-moving frame, so use the same Lorentz transformation as for the four-velocity.
kev said:
Proper force acting on the particle?
No time to think about the forces now. Maybe later.

Fredrik said:
I haven't heard the term "proper velocity" before.
The term proper velocity does not make any sense in relativity. As velocity is a relative not an absolute concept.

Having said that I would not be shocked if cosmologists were to find a good meaning for it. ;)

MeJennifer said:
The term proper velocity does not make any sense in relativity. As velocity is a relative not an absolute concept.

Having said that I would not be shocked if cosmologists were to find a good meaning for it. ;)

Although the name "proper velocity" is probably not appropriate,
I believe it refers to the "spatial-component of the 4-velocity of an object",
with magnitude [tex]\sinh\theta[/tex] (in natural units) where [tex]\theta[/tex] is the rapidity.
([tex]\sinh\theta[/tex] is sometimes called the "celerity".) In more three-dimensional terms, it is [tex]\gamma \vec v[/tex].

It can probably be thought of as the "relativistic 3-momentum divided by the rest mass".

Last edited:
robphy said:
Although the name "proper velocity" is probably not appropriate,
I believe it refers to the "spatial-component of the 4-velocity of an object",
with magnitude [tex]\sinh\theta[/tex] (in natural units) where [tex]\theta[/tex] is the rapidity.
([tex]\sinh\theta[/tex] is sometimes called the "celerity".) In more three-dimensional terms, it is [tex]\gamma \vec v[/tex].

It can probably be thought of as the "relativistic 3-momentum divided by the rest mass".
Some texts, such as the SR text by Sears and Brehme, use the term proper velocity as a synonym for four-velocity.

Pete

The term "Proper Distance" is widely used basic terminology in SR and GR literature. Taylor & Wheeler give a clear explanation of Proper Distance on the 4th page of their textbook "Exploring Black Holes." Here's a brief excerpt:

"...proper distance between [two events in spacetime is more formally called] the spacelike spacetime interval. All free-float observers agree on the value of the proper distance - the proper distance is an invariant. In contrast, the value of t and the value of s between these events typically differ, respectively, as measured in different frames. Proper distance can be used to describe the separation between any pair of events for which s is greater than t. It tells the observer in any frame what the [proper distance] is between the events as measured in a frame in which they occur at the same time."

Here is a brief excerpt from the definition of Proper Distance and Proper Velocity from the paper "Coordinate Confusion in Conformal Cosmology", 7/07, by Lewis, Francis, Barnes & James, in the context of the FLRW metric. Proper Velocity is defined the way you would expect it to be: The derivative of Proper Distance as a function of Proper Time in the coordinate system being used.

"A fundamental definition of distance in general relativity is the proper distance, defined as the spatial separation between two points along a hypersurface of constant time. Given the form of the FLRW metric the radial distance from the origin to a coordinate x along a hypersurface of constant t is;

Dp = a(t) x

Taking the derivative with respect to coordinate time [which is synchronous for all comoving observers (fixed x) and is equivalent to their proper time [tex]\tau[/tex]] we obtain what we will refer to as the proper velocity ... [equations] ...

Jon

Last edited:
So already in the above posting there are two completely different definitions of proper distance. :)

Hi MeJennifer,
Don't follow your point. There is a basic concept of proper distance in SR, and then there is an equation stated for applying it to an expanding FLRW metric. Same exact concept, applied to two different metrics. As you know better than most, the metric for an expanding FLRW universe is different from an empty SR universe.

Jon

jonmtkisco said:
Hi MeJennifer,
Don't follow your point. There is a basic concept of proper distance in SR, and then there is an equation stated for applying it to an expanding FLRW metric. Same exact concept, applied to two different metrics. As you know better than most, the metric for an expanding FLRW universe is different from an empty SR universe.
One definition pertains to a distance in spacetime while the other definition pertains to a distance in space. Two entirely different things.

Hi MeJennifer,

I don't understand how a "spacelike spacetime distance" is different from "the spatial separation between two points along a hypersurface of constant time", as long as the elapsed time is zero in both cases, which is the whole point of the measurement. The only difference I can see is that the Taylor & Wheeler definition is broader to encompass situations where the elapsed time isn't zero, but that broader aspect isn't relevant if one wants simply to measure physical distance.

Jon

Last edited:
Hi all,

thanks for the answers so far, but if anything I am more confused than before I asked the question(s) :P

I put "proper velocity" in the list of questions mainly for completeness (not wanting to take anything for granted) and partly because some texts seem to use it loosely to mean 4 velocity.

I think I understand the part about the definition of proper distance in an accelerating context where an observer with constant proper acceleration in a rocket or in a gravitational field considers herself to remain at at a constant distance from the origin of their own coordinate system, in the same way we consider our distance from the centre of the Earth to remain constant even though we experience constant acceleration.

Anyone want to take a shot at the force definitions?

1. What is the difference between 3 and 4 velocity?

3 velocity refers to the velocity of an object in three-dimensional space, while 4 velocity takes into account the object's movement in time as well. 4 velocity is used in the theory of relativity to describe the movement of objects in spacetime.

2. How is 3 velocity calculated?

3 velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's position by the change in time. It is represented by the symbol v and is measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second.

3. What factors affect an object's 3 velocity?

An object's 3 velocity can be affected by its mass, the forces acting upon it, and any external factors such as friction or air resistance. The object's initial velocity and its acceleration also play a role in determining its 3 velocity.

4. How is 4 velocity related to 4 acceleration?

4 velocity and 4 acceleration are closely related in the theory of relativity. 4 acceleration is the rate of change of an object's 4 velocity with respect to proper time. In simpler terms, it describes how an object's velocity changes as it moves through spacetime.

5. Can an object have a constant 4 acceleration?

No, an object cannot have a constant 4 acceleration. According to the theory of relativity, constant 4 acceleration would require an infinite amount of energy. However, an object can have a constant 3 acceleration, meaning its speed and direction of motion are changing at a constant rate in three-dimensional space.