This one really is simple i think

• Thread starter KetanLobo
  • Start date
In summary, the compressive strength of steel is generally equivalent to its tensile strength. However, there are some exceptions, such as the steel type 4140 which has a slightly higher compressive yield than its tensile yield. This information is not commonly listed in textbooks and can be found online for specific steel types.
KetanLobo
Many thanks to those who gave me input on my other question.

My new question is... what is the compressive strength of steel?

is it the same as the tensile strength? or critical compressive stress?

none of my textbooks list this value, and the really the only value i can find online on compressive strength is for concrete...

hit me with your best shot

Engineering news on Phys.org
In general, the tensile strength of steel is equivalent to its compressive strength. That is, steel responds to stretching force in much the same way it responds to crushing force

The tensile strength of a steel that can withstand 40,000 pounds of force per square inch may be expressed as 40,000 PSI or 40 KSI

For the most part, they are pretty close if not the same. Off the top of my head, one that comes to mind that is not the same but pretty close is 4140. It's compressive yield is slightly higher (about 10%) than it's tensile yield.

1. How do you know if something is simple in science?

In science, simplicity is often determined by the level of complexity involved in understanding a concept or solving a problem. If a concept can be easily explained and understood, it is considered simple in science.

2. Can complex scientific concepts be simplified?

Yes, scientists often try to simplify complex concepts in order to make them more understandable for a wider audience. This can be done through the use of analogies, visual aids, or breaking the concept down into smaller, more manageable parts.

3. What is the importance of simplicity in science?

Simplicity is important in science because it allows for easier understanding and communication of complex concepts. It also helps to avoid confusion and allows for more accurate and precise results in experiments.

4. How can we determine if a scientific explanation is too simple?

If a scientific explanation is too simple, it may not fully capture the complexity of a concept or may leave out important details. It is important for scientists to strike a balance between simplicity and accuracy in their explanations.

5. Are there any downsides to simplifying scientific concepts?

While simplifying scientific concepts can make them more accessible, it can also lead to oversimplification and potential misunderstandings. It is important for scientists to ensure that the simplification does not compromise the accuracy of the information being conveyed.