A rotating coil measuring the magnetic field

In summary, a rotating coil with area A and N turns can be used to measure magnetic fields by adjusting its position to produce a maximum induced current Imax. The relationship between the unknown magnetic field and Imax can be found using the equations E = -d(phi)/dt, E = IR, and phi = BA. By taking the derivative of the magnetic flux, the induced EMF can be calculated and used to determine the maximum current. Using dimensional analysis can help validate the equation.
lfused

Homework Statement

A rotating coil is a common device for measuring magnetic fields. Consider a coil of area A and N turns that is rotated at angular frequency w in a magnetic field. The position of the coil is adjusted so as to produce a maximum induced current Imax which can be measured by using an appropriate ammeter. R is the total resistance of the coil circuit find the relationship between the unknown magnetic field and Imax

Homework Equations

E = -d(phi)/dt where phi = magnetic flux
E= IR
phi = BA where B is the magnetic field
E= -N *d(phi)/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure what to do with this problem at all because we didn't really go over how angular frequency related to magnetic flux in class. Since w= (2*pi*r)/T meaning w is related to the change in time I tried using the equation IR= -(BAN)/w but I'm not sure if that's right.. and I wouldn't know how to determine the Imax from that. I know taking a derivative can help determine max and min by setting the equation equal to zero... but I really have no clue what I'm doing.

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnetic flux across the coil is

[tex]\Phi = NBA\cos \phi = NBA \cos \omega t\, .[/tex]

that is, varies sinusoidally. Taking the derivative, we find the induced EMF:

[tex]E = -\frac{d\Phi}{dt} = NBA\omega \sin \omega t\, .[/tex]

Ohm's law gives

[tex]I = \frac{E}{R} = \frac{NBA\omega}{R} \sin \omega t\, .[/tex]

The maximum value of current can now be clearly seen. So, you've almost guessed your equation right. Next time you could try using dimensional analysis to see if it's a legal expression or not.

1. What is a rotating coil measuring the magnetic field?

A rotating coil measuring the magnetic field is a device that uses a coil of wire to detect and measure the strength and direction of a magnetic field. The coil is rotated within the magnetic field, producing an electric current that can be measured and used to determine the characteristics of the field.

2. How does a rotating coil measure the magnetic field?

A rotating coil measures the magnetic field by utilizing Faraday's law of induction. As the coil rotates within the magnetic field, the changing magnetic flux induces an electric current in the coil. This current can be measured and used to determine the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

3. What are some applications of a rotating coil measuring the magnetic field?

A rotating coil measuring the magnetic field has many applications in various fields of study, such as physics, engineering, and geology. It is commonly used to measure the magnetic field of different materials, to study the Earth's magnetic field, and to investigate the behavior of electromagnets.

4. Can a rotating coil measure the magnetic field of any material?

No, a rotating coil can only measure the magnetic field of materials that are conductive. This is because the coil needs to rotate within the magnetic field to produce an electric current, and non-conductive materials would not allow the current to flow.

5. Are there any limitations to using a rotating coil to measure the magnetic field?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a rotating coil to measure the magnetic field. One limitation is that the coil needs to be rotated at a constant speed to produce accurate results. Also, the coil may not be able to accurately measure the magnetic field of materials with very strong or rapidly changing fields.