Velocity squared and position graph

In summary, after discussing the issue and examining your data, it seems that the slope of your velocity squared vs position graph is related to the acceleration of the plummet. By using the formula for slope and rearranging it, you were able to determine that the slope should be twice the acceleration. Using this information, you calculated an acceleration of 10m/s^2, which is very close to the given value of 9.8m/s^2.
azn4lyf89
I asked this question a couple days ago but I am still confused. I have a velocity squared vs position graph and I am confused on what the slope means. I'm guessing that the slope is the displacement? I'm am also suppose to find the acceleration using this slope. The slope I calculated right now is 2.0x10^3 cm^3/s^2 and I can't really connect that into finding an acceleration which would be close to 9.80m/s^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi azn4lyf89,

azn4lyf89 said:
I asked this question a couple days ago but I am still confused. I have a velocity squared vs position graph and I am confused on what the slope means. I'm guessing that the slope is the displacement?

What is the formula for the slope? Displacement would be change in position, so I don't think that would match the slope formula.

I'm am also suppose to find the acceleration using this slope. The slope I calculated right now is 2.0x10^3 cm^3/s^2

How did you calculate this? It does not appear to be correct to me.

and I can't really connect that into finding an acceleration which would be close to 9.80m/s^2

There's not many details here, but is it supposed to be close to 9.8m/s[itex]^2[/itex]? Is the object in free fall?

Yes, its from an experiment I did in class. It was a free falling plummet ignoring air resistance. I basically got the slope from my line of best fit. So the y-value would be the velocity squared and the position would b the x-values. Dividing y/x would get the slope and since the y-value is in cm^2/s^2 and the x-value is in cm, the slope would be cm^3/s^2, correct me if I'm wrong. The 2 points I got from my line are (21cm,1.55x10^5 cm^2/s^2) and (49cm, 2.10x10^5 cm^2/s^2). I'm suppose to determine how this slope is related to the acceleration and from this slope calculate the acceleration of the plummet.

azn4lyf89 said:
Yes, its from an experiment I did in class. It was a free falling plummet ignoring air resistance. I basically got the slope from my line of best fit. So the y-value would be the velocity squared and the position would b the x-values. Dividing y/x would get the slope and since the y-value is in cm^2/s^2 and the x-value is in cm, the slope would be cm^3/s^2, correct me if I'm wrong.

Because you're dividing by the x value, a cm in the units denominator will cancel one in the units numerator. Since you're trying to find acceleration, that's definitely a good sign.

The 2 points I got from my line are (21cm,1.55x10^5 cm^2/s^2) and (49cm, 2.10x10^5 cm^2/s^2). I'm suppose to determine how this slope is related to the acceleration and from this slope calculate the acceleration of the plummet.

To find the relationship between the slope and the acceleration, you should use symbols only (not your experimental numbers). Let your two points be [tex](x_i,v_i^2)[/tex] and [tex](x_f,v_f^2)[/tex]. Using those symbols, write down the slope. In other words, if [itex]m[/itex] is the slope, use those two points and write out:

[tex]
m=?
[/tex]

Once you have that written out, see if you can rearrange it to match a formula that you are very familiar with. Do you get the answer?

Ooo I think I get it. That means the slope should be twice the acceleration? So that means my acceleration from the slope would be 1000cm/s^2 which converts into 10m/s^2 which seems pretty close to 9.8m/s^2?

azn4lyf89 said:
Ooo I think I get it. That means the slope should be twice the acceleration? So that means my acceleration from the slope would be 1000cm/s^2 which converts into 10m/s^2 which seems pretty close to 9.8m/s^2?

That sounds right to me. (You got that answer because you rounded off the slope to the number 2000. If you don't round off until the end, I think you'll get even closer to the given value.)

1. What is a velocity squared and position graph?

A velocity squared and position graph is a visual representation of the relationship between an object's velocity squared and its position. It shows how the object's velocity changes as it moves along a particular path.

2. How is a velocity squared and position graph different from a regular velocity and position graph?

A regular velocity and position graph shows the relationship between an object's velocity and its position, while a velocity squared and position graph shows the relationship between an object's velocity squared and its position. The former is a linear graph, while the latter is a parabolic graph.

3. What does the slope of a velocity squared and position graph represent?

The slope of a velocity squared and position graph represents the acceleration of the object. A steeper slope indicates a greater acceleration, while a flatter slope indicates a smaller acceleration.

4. How can a velocity squared and position graph be used to determine an object's initial velocity?

If the initial position and final position of an object are known, the equation of a velocity squared and position graph (v^2 = u^2 + 2as) can be used to calculate the initial velocity (u) of the object. This equation is derived from the area under the graph, and the acceleration (a) can be determined from the slope of the graph.

5. Can a velocity squared and position graph be used for non-uniform motion?

Yes, a velocity squared and position graph can be used for both uniform and non-uniform motion. In the case of non-uniform motion, the graph will not be a perfect parabola, but it can still be used to analyze the relationship between velocity squared and position.