Really hard number theory problem

In summary, the conversation involves a problem that the professor and TA could not solve and are offering extra credit for. The problem states that given a positive integer greater than 1, n, and a sequence of primes not exceeding n, p1, p2,..., pt, it must be shown that the product of the primes is less than 4n. The conversation then discusses potential approaches to solving the problem, including using induction and considering the distribution of primes. Ultimately, the conversation suggests using the Prime Factorization Theorem to approximate the product of primes, which can be shown to be less than 4n.
SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE

Homework Statement

neither my professor nor my TA could figure this out. so they are offering fat extra credit for the following problem

Let n be a positive integer greater than 1 and let p1,p2,...,pt be the primes not exceeding n.

show that p1p2...pt<4n

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know where to start here.

just throwing this out there, I am guessing they got 4k by having the sum of something like 2k+1 choose k but that's just a complete guess.

Physics news on Phys.org
The number of primes not exceeding n? So wouldn't that mean that t=n-1 or do you mean that one of numbers in the p sequence need to be less than n? Either one I think will help you. I would recommend trying to prove this by induction. Let Base be 2. Then in Hypothesis let n = k and prove for k+1 using base and your hypothesis.

I am going to assume that "the primes not exceeding n." means all primes less than or equal to n, not "less than or equal to n" many primes. If n= 2, "the primes not exceeding 2" are just 2 itself. 2 is less than or equal to 42= 16. If n= 3, then "the primes not exceeding 3" are 2 and 3 so the product is 6: 6< 43= 64. Now suppose that the statement is true for some k greater than or equal 3. Either k+1 is a prime itself, or it is not. If it is not, then "the primes less than or equal to k+1" is exactly the same as "the primes less than or equal to k". In that case, the induction step is easy: the product of primes is less than or equal to 4k which is itself less than 4k+1. If k+1 is a prime what happens?

If k+1 is prime then k is divisible by two. can you factor out a two or soemthing?

This problem intrigued me, and I have managed to spend maybe a couple of hours on it, so far without success. My attempt so far involves an induction argument.

Something that might be relevant is the Prime Factorization Theorem, that involves the number of primes less than or equal to a number n, [tex]\pi[/tex](n).

It says
[tex]
lim \pi (n) (ln n)/n = 1, as n grows w/o bound.
[/tex]

This means that
[tex] \pi (n) \approx n/(ln n), for large n. [/tex]

Maybe this is helpful, maybe not.
Mark

I really don't think you can get away without considering the distribution of primes. The product of the primes less than n, P(n) can stay constant for a long time and then jump up by a factor much larger than 4. I don't think induction can work. Go with Mark's research. The density of primes around the integer k is 1/ln(k). The log of a prime around k is ln(k). So we can appoximate the log of the product of all of them by integrating ln(k)*1/ln(k) between 1 and n. Which is n. So the product of all the primes less than n is VERY approximately e^n. That's definitely less than 4^n. In fact, I think it's less than 3^n. But you should check low lying cases.

Last edited:

What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of numbers, particularly integers. It involves studying patterns and structures within numbers and discovering new relationships between them.

What makes a number theory problem "really hard"?

A "really hard" number theory problem is typically one that is difficult to solve using traditional methods and requires advanced mathematical techniques or creative thinking to solve. These problems often involve complex concepts and require a deep understanding of number theory.

What are some common techniques used to solve "really hard" number theory problems?

Some common techniques used to solve "really hard" number theory problems include modular arithmetic, Diophantine equations, and algebraic number theory. Other approaches may include using advanced mathematical tools such as complex analysis, group theory, or calculus.

How long does it typically take to solve a "really hard" number theory problem?

The amount of time it takes to solve a "really hard" number theory problem varies greatly depending on the difficulty of the problem and the skill level of the mathematician. Some problems may be solved quickly while others may take years or even decades to crack.

Why is number theory important in science?

Number theory has many practical applications in science, particularly in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and computer science. It also plays a crucial role in understanding patterns and structures in the natural world, such as prime numbers in biology and Fibonacci sequences in physics.