Difficult Force Problem with changing angle ( )

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a crate on a floor with a coefficient of static friction. The force applied to the crate is continuously adjusted to keep it on the verge of sliding as the angle theta is increased. The conversation also mentions plotting the ratio of the force to the weight of the crate versus theta and determining the value of theta at which the ratio approaches infinity. It also poses a question about the effect of lubricating the floor on this value and provides an alternative coefficient of static friction to consider.
DJWise
Difficult Force Problem with changing angle (please help!)

1. A force F is applied to a crate of mass m on a floor where it has a coefficeint of static friction . Angle theta is intially 0 degrees but is gradually increased so that the force vector rotates clockwise in the figure. During the rotation the magnitude F of the force is continuously adjusted so that the crate is always on the verge of sliding. For coeff. of static friction = 0.70 (a) plot the ratio F/mg versus theta and (b) determine the theta sub infinite at which the ratio approaches an infinite value. (c) Does lubricating the floor increase or deacrease theta sub infinite or is the value unchanged? (d) what is theta sub infinite if the coefficient = 0.60?

3. Please help me set up the problem! I am very confused and don't comprehend the question. If you can just help me start the problem I can probably take it from here. We are having an emergency study session w/ our class tonight and none of us understand this.

Physics news on Phys.org

DJWise said:
1. A force F is applied to a crate of mass m on a floor where it has a coefficeint of static friction . Angle theta is intially 0 degrees but is gradually increased so that the force vector rotates clockwise in the figure. During the rotation the magnitude F of the force is continuously adjusted so that the crate is always on the verge of sliding. For coeff. of static friction = 0.70 (a) plot the ratio F/mg versus theta and (b) determine the theta sub infinite at which the ratio approaches an infinite value. (c) Does lubricating the floor increase or deacrease theta sub infinite or is the value unchanged? (d) what is theta sub infinite if the coefficient = 0.60?

3. Please help me set up the problem! I am very confused and don't comprehend the question. If you can just help me start the problem I can probably take it from here. We are having an emergency study session w/ our class tonight and none of us understand this.

One way to approach understanding this problem is to draw a force diagram and write things in terms of the Forces. For instance the x component of force is balanced out by the weight and the y component of the force times u.

Then rearrange your formula with F/mg = ...?

You can then evaluate this relationship as theta varies and as to how you might vary u.

Hello there! It seems like you are struggling with a difficult force problem with changing angle. Don't worry, I am here to help you understand and set up the problem. Let's break down the problem into smaller parts and tackle them one by one.

First, we have a crate with a mass of m on a floor with a coefficient of static friction. This means that the crate will not move unless a force greater than the maximum static friction force is applied. We also have an angle theta that is initially 0 degrees but is gradually increased as the force rotates clockwise.

Next, we need to plot the ratio F/mg versus theta. This means we need to calculate the ratio of the applied force F to the weight of the crate mg at different values of theta. We can do this by using trigonometric functions and the given coefficient of static friction.

Now, we need to determine the theta sub infinite at which the ratio approaches an infinite value. This means we need to find the angle at which the applied force is just enough to overcome the maximum static friction force, causing the crate to start moving. This angle is also known as the angle of repose.

Moving on to part (c), we need to consider the effect of lubricating the floor on theta sub infinite. Lubricating the floor would decrease the coefficient of static friction, making it easier for the crate to start moving. This means that the value of theta sub infinite would decrease as well.

Lastly, we need to find theta sub infinite if the coefficient of static friction is changed to 0.60. This means we need to repeat the calculations we did in part (b) using the new coefficient of static friction.

I hope this helps you get started on the problem. Remember to use the given information and equations to solve for the different parts. Good luck with your study session tonight!

What is a difficult force problem with changing angle?

A difficult force problem with changing angle is a physics problem that involves calculating the force or forces acting on an object that is moving at an angle, and the angle of motion changes over time. This type of problem requires a thorough understanding of vector mathematics and the principles of motion.

Why are difficult force problems with changing angle challenging?

Difficult force problems with changing angle are challenging because they require a combination of mathematical skills and conceptual understanding of physical principles. The changing angle adds an extra layer of complexity, making it difficult to visualize and solve the problem.

What are some strategies for solving difficult force problems with changing angle?

One strategy for solving difficult force problems with changing angle is to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. This could involve drawing a diagram and identifying all the forces acting on the object. Another strategy is to use vector mathematics and trigonometry to calculate the components of the forces in different directions.

How can I improve my understanding of difficult force problems with changing angle?

To improve your understanding of difficult force problems with changing angle, it is important to practice solving different types of problems and familiarize yourself with the relevant equations and principles. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor, and watch instructional videos or attend workshops on the topic.

What real-world applications use difficult force problems with changing angle?

Difficult force problems with changing angle have many real-world applications, such as calculating the forces on a moving vehicle or aircraft, designing structures to withstand changing forces and angles, and predicting the trajectory of projectiles. They are also important in fields such as engineering, architecture, and sports, where understanding and controlling forces is crucial.