Software to model Bending/Stress/Strain

In summary: Mathcad and Maple both come with adequate software that can model the bending of a beam. However, if you want to do more complex calculations, then you will need to use a more sophisticated software like Simulink.
bakoo
Hey All

I am looking for some software that can be used to model the bending of a beam, and help gather information of stress, strain for force and any other information i can extract?

I have maple and mathcad but unsure how to model this if its possible?

MapleSim looks like it would do the trick, but can't get my hands on it as its only for Postgrads and Pro's at the moment.

My thoughts turned to Simulink, but again, wouldn't know if it was possible?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
How complex would you like the geometries to be? If you are only doing 1D beams, then you could very easily write your own code. You won't have a fancy GUI, but it will be free and efficient.

minger said:
How complex would you like the geometries to be? If you are only doing 1D beams, then you could very easily write your own code. You won't have a fancy GUI, but it will be free and efficient.

True, as long as its 2D and for some simple cases 3D. If your looking to analyze some complex geometries then you will need some type of FEA software.

I am looking to simply model a beam with one or two applied loads, calculate the stress, strains, force and deflections and extract what other information i can?

Could model it myself yeah, i know some C, well enough to do what i want...

I was thinking i could find some software to model other stuff as well though, mainly statics, dynamics and kinematics...

Bending, stress's, straings, torsions, etc...

All basic stuff, usually 1d or 2d max...

Surprised there isn't some software out already that can model basic mechanics

Theres plenty of software that can model basic mechanics, but its designed for more complex problems. Usually when it comes to the simple things people just write their own. you might be able to find a java script on the net that can do what you want but you will probably just have to end up writing your own. Unless that is you want to spend $30k for this fancy software, or maybe find a student version. I like COSMOS Express myself.

Anyone who has taken an FEA class has had to write code for some simple geometries to do exactly what you are talking about. My undergrad FEA class had us doing a FORTRAN code to do all sorts of truss calculations. My grad FEA we didn't do any programming, but my prof shared a bunch pf his codes he did for his doctoral work. They weren't too terribly difficult to follow. The big thing is having the theoretical background to know what to do. It sounds like you should just look at buying one of the beam calculators you can get out there. For example:

http://kowalczuk_r.tripod.com/index.htm
http://www.soft4structures.com/products.html

Bakoo please check your Private Messages.

If you already have Mathcad or Maple, I'm pretty sure adequate packages have been written by users and are available for free. No programming effort, acceptable interface, little learning.

Oho! It is pleasant to answer. At my student life (2008) we used Mechanics of Materials Toolbox for Maple (I'v got it for home usage for free as a present from Department staff). But it was third party product from MapleConnect program. As I know Maplesoft closed this program. I use it very often by one reason. The FEM software gives only numeric solutions...
It works good (concerning Beam Bending, Torsion and Stretching) by symbolic notations also. About two or three years I did not listen about any support or development (by google searching). It seems it will be soon here (My friend from Waterloo University informed me a week ago. He spoke about something like free version, but I am not quite sure)
http://forum.orlovsoft.com/index.php?topic=8.0

Last edited:
Mechanics of Materials Toolbox for Maple.
Youtube screencast: http://youtu.be/czz_uw0918E
At installation process it requires activation code. It is necessary only
to submit hardware ID on detected e-mail and ask activation code for week, month or more...

1. What is software for modeling bending/stress/strain?

Software for modeling bending, stress, and strain is a computer program used by engineers and scientists to simulate and analyze the behavior of materials under different loading conditions. This software uses mathematical equations and algorithms to predict the performance and failure of structures, components, and materials.

2. What are the benefits of using software for modeling bending/stress/strain?

Using software for modeling bending, stress, and strain allows for a more accurate and efficient analysis of materials and structures. It also helps to reduce costs and time in the design and testing process. Additionally, it allows for the exploration of various design options and scenarios without the need for physical prototypes.

3. What types of materials can be modeled with this software?

Software for modeling bending, stress, and strain can be used for a wide range of materials, including metals, plastics, composites, and even biological tissues. The software takes into account the material properties, such as elasticity, strength, and failure criteria, to accurately predict their behavior under different loading conditions.

4. How accurate are the results from software modeling compared to physical testing?

The accuracy of the results from software modeling depends on the quality of the input data and the complexity of the model. In general, software modeling can provide results with a high level of accuracy, especially when using advanced algorithms and validated material models. However, physical testing is still necessary to validate the results and ensure the accuracy of the model.

5. What are some popular software options for modeling bending/stress/strain?

There are many software options available for modeling bending, stress, and strain, each with its own features and capabilities. Some popular options include ANSYS, Abaqus, SolidWorks Simulation, and COMSOL Multiphysics. It is essential to choose a software that best fits the specific needs and requirements of the project and to have a good understanding of the software's capabilities and limitations.