Amateur boxing and brain damage

In summary, the speaker used to box in the amateurs but stopped due to losing motivation. They are now considering getting back into it, but are concerned about the potential brain damage and how it may affect their mathematical abilities. They plan on going to university for math and potentially graduate school. The speaker has found conflicting articles on the link between amateur boxing and brain damage. They also mention using headgear and gloves in both sparring and fights. The conversation turns to discussing the risk of brain damage in martial arts, with the speaker recommending grappling or point-based striking arts as safer options. However, there is limited research on the specific risk of brain damage in amateur boxing, and the speaker concludes by stating that the risk is likely similar across all weight classes
JG89
I use to box in the amateurs (my last fight was April 5th). I stopped boxing due to losing motivation, getting bored, etc, but I've missed it a lot over the past few months and am thinking of getting back into it. I don't plan to go pro or anything. Also, I will be starting university for math in September 2009. I plan on going to graduate school, getting a PHD, doing research etc. I really want to do top level research and be the best mathematician I could be, so naturally the brain damage aspect of boxing has been bothering me. I looked up some articles on google and found some articles saying there is a chance of brain damage and others saying that there is no strong evidence that there is any link between amateur boxing and brain damage.

In the amateurs we spar with headgear on and 16 oz gloves, and we fight with headgear with 10 oz gloves. Do you think I have anything to be worried about in regards to brain damage and it potentially affecting my mathematical abilities?

All help and advice would be appreciated!

Biology news on Phys.org
If you are going for TKO or KO, then yes, you should be concerned about it. If you want to continue martial arts, I would recommend either a grappling art (judo, jiu jitsu, etc.) or one of the striking arts, but in a league in which the sparring is for points, rather than KO (some styles of karate, tae kwon do, probably others). Whenever you are fighting to KO, there is a risk. The more frequently you are KOed, the more likely damage is to accumulate and affect the rest of your life.

does that research say anything about damage versus weight class? seems like with some of the little guys, it just turns into an endurance test.

That was not researched, it was off the top of my head. Upon further research, it appears that amateur boxing is point based, rather than KO. This means that the risk of chronic brain damage will be much less than with pro boxing. I would imagine it still varies depending who you're competing with on a regular basis (some gyms tend to go a lot harder than others, even within the same martial art or style).

If you find you get hit hard in the head with any great frequency (light hits don't generally cause any damage), and/or you feel dizzy (more so than just from being out of breath) after matches or hits, chronic brain damage is a potential concern (though still much less than if you're suffering regular KOs). The safest bet (as far as the potential for brain damage at least, not necessarily safest in general) is to choose an art where the strikes are not focused on the head, or a grappling art.

Edit: I couldn't find any statistics specifically for chronic brain damage in amateur boxing, and all the ones for pro boxing only consider brain damage with obvious effects (dementia, memory loss, slurred speech, tremors and abnormal gait), and don't take into account any lesser damages, which may not manifest itself in any obvious way, but which could be a detriment to a career requiring mental acuity. Basically this whole post amounts to "I don't know" in response to the original question, but hopefully the information I've provided has helped a little.

Last edited:
Proton Soup said:
does that research say anything about damage versus weight class? seems like with some of the little guys, it just turns into an endurance test.

The problem in the lighter weight classes is the cutting and dehydration that goes on before competitions to make the class. This leaves the fighter more susceptible to brain damage. So even though they are receiving lighter blows, they are doing more damage. I have never seen any statistics which suggest a significant difference in brain damage rates for different weight classes, this leads me to think that the risks are pretty similar across all classes (though I could be wrong, if anyone has seen a study on this, let me know, I'd like to read it).

1. What is the link between amateur boxing and brain damage?

Research has shown that repeated blows to the head in amateur boxing can lead to brain damage, specifically chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE). This is due to the accumulation of subconcussive hits, meaning hits to the head that do not result in immediate symptoms but can cause long-term damage over time.

2. How common is brain damage in amateur boxers?

The exact prevalence of brain damage in amateur boxers is unknown, but studies have shown that the longer a boxer participates in the sport, the higher their risk of developing brain damage. It is estimated that around 20% of amateur boxers may experience brain damage in their lifetime.

3. Can headgear prevent brain damage in amateur boxing?

While headgear may provide some protection against cuts and bruises, it has not been proven to prevent brain damage in amateur boxing. In fact, some research suggests that headgear may actually increase the risk of brain injury by giving boxers a false sense of security and leading them to take more risks.

4. Are there any long-term effects of brain damage in amateur boxing?

Yes, there can be a range of long-term effects of brain damage in amateur boxing, including memory loss, cognitive impairment, depression, and even Parkinson's disease. These effects can have a significant impact on the boxer's quality of life and may not be fully apparent until years after they have retired from the sport.

5. Is there anything that can be done to reduce the risk of brain damage in amateur boxing?

While there is no way to completely eliminate the risk of brain damage in amateur boxing, there are steps that can be taken to reduce the risk. These include proper training and technique, limiting the number of rounds and frequency of fights, and implementing stricter rules and regulations for amateur boxing organizations.