Calculating the Final Image Location in a Compound Lens System

In summary, the conversation discusses a compound lens system consisting of two converging lenses with given focal lengths and an object placed at a specific location. The goal is to determine the location of the final image produced by the system. The equations 1/f = 1/s' + 1/s and m = y'/y = -(s'/s) are used to solve for the image location, but the attempts have resulted in incorrect answers. The conversation ends with a request for help before the assignment deadline.
jcvince17

Homework Statement

A compound lens system consists of two converging lenses, one at x= -20cm with focal length f1 = +10cm, and the other at x= +20cm with focal length f2 = +8cm . An object 1 centimeter tall is placed at x = -50cm.

What is the location of the final image produced by the compound lens system? Give the x coordinate of the image.

Homework Equations

1/f = 1/s' + 1/s

m = y'/y = -(s'/s)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure. I believe I need to do the first equation I posted twice. Using the s' from the first lense as the s (object) for the second lens.

for lens 1 i get:

1/f = 1/s' + 1's

1/10 = 1/s' + 1/-30 (used negative since it is on oppostie side of mirror?)

s' = 7.5 cm (is that telling me it is 7.5 from the lens correct? so in between the lens and the f.)

for lens 2 i get:

1/f = 1/s' + 1/s

1/8 = 1/s' + 1/-7.5 (used negative since it is on oppostie side of mirror?)

s' = 3.87 cm (is that telling me it is 3.87 from the lens correct? so in between the lens and the f.)

if these are corect it is telling me the final image is located at x = + 23.87 but that is wrong.

so where did i go wrong in my calculations?

Attachments

• 101269.jpg
    101269.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
well, I have gotten several wrong answers and have only two chances left.

edit - still working on it

i found something about solving for a resultant focal point.

F = 1 / f1 + 1 / f2 - d / f1f2
F = (1/10 + 1/8) - (40/10*8)
F = -.275

if i then take this into my original equation
1/f = 1/s' + 1/s
1/-.275 = 1/s' + 1/30
s' = -3.67

if this is correct then s' is located at what?

Last edited:
tried it again

lens 1:

1/f = 1/s' + 1/s
1/10 = 1/s' + 1/30
s' = 7.5 = @ x = -12.5

lens 2:
1/f = 1/s' + 1/s
1/8 = 1/s' + 1/32.5
s' = 10.6 = final image is at x = + 30.6 ?

This is due at 11pm tonight, if anyone can please help me. I don't know where I am going wrong here.

Thanks.

1. How does a two lens system create an image?

A two lens system creates an image by using two lenses to refract and focus light from an object onto a surface, such as a film or digital sensor. The first lens, known as the objective lens, collects and converges light rays from the object. The second lens, called the eyepiece lens, further magnifies and focuses the image, making it larger and clearer for the viewer.

2. What is the difference between a real image and a virtual image in a two lens system?

A real image is formed when the light rays from an object converge and intersect at a point, creating an inverted and magnified image. This type of image can be projected onto a surface and can be viewed by the human eye. A virtual image, on the other hand, is formed when the light rays do not actually converge, but appear to come from a specific point behind the lens. This results in an upright and smaller image that cannot be projected onto a surface.

3. How does the distance between the lenses affect the image in a two lens system?

The distance between the lenses, also known as the focal length, determines the magnification and clarity of the image in a two lens system. A shorter focal length creates a larger and more magnified image, while a longer focal length results in a smaller and less magnified image. Additionally, the distance between the lenses can also affect the quality of the image, as a larger distance can cause distortion and aberrations.

4. Can a two lens system be used to correct vision?

Yes, a two lens system, specifically in the form of glasses or contact lenses, can be used to correct vision. This is because the lenses are able to refract and focus light in a way that compensates for any abnormalities in the shape of the eye, such as nearsightedness or farsightedness. By adjusting the focal length of the lenses, the image can be properly focused onto the retina, resulting in clearer vision.

5. What are some common applications of a two lens system?

A two lens system has a wide range of applications, including in cameras, microscopes, telescopes, and eyeglasses. It is also used in various scientific experiments and studies to magnify and examine small or distant objects. Additionally, the principles of a two lens system are also applied in the development of advanced imaging technologies, such as MRI machines and satellite imaging.