How to Make Lithium Borohydride & Energy Input Needed

• Thread starter aquitaine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lithium
In summary, the conversation discusses the general process of making a compound, potentially for use as a fuel source. The main question is whether the energy output from using this compound is greater than the energy input required for its synthesis, and the answer is that according to thermodynamics, this is not possible. The conversation also briefly mentions diborane as a related compound and suggests researching lithium borohydride synthesis for more information.
aquitaine
In general (meaning nothing specific), how is it made and how much energy (in joules) input is necessary to make it? I'm not planning on making any or anything like that, but I am curious about the general process and whether or not we can get more energy from using it than what goes into making it.Or if someone could at least answer the second part of the question that would be good enough. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Um, this wasn't intended to be a homework question, but if you (the admins) feel it should be here then ok...I got curious about this after browsing through wikipedia, and I noticed it has a high energy density. I would just like to know if the energy that goes into making it is less than what comes out of it (via combustion).

This was part of a discussion about using it as a potential fuel source, so the questions were in that context.

Last edited:
Google lithium borohydride synthesis, lithium borohydride msds, lithium borohydride properties and so on.

I think diborane was considered as a rocket fuel at some point, and to some extent that's a related compound.

Your main question is easily answered by thermodynamics. There are no processes that will be able to yield more energy than you put in.

Your main question is easily answered by thermodynamics. There are no processes that will be able to yield more energy than you put in.

Ok, so factoring in the inefficiencies of the synthesis process, about how much energy needs to be put into the synthesis process? I have no idea how to find this out because I'm not studying this stuff, I was just asking out of curiosity.

What is lithium borohydride?

Lithium borohydride (LiBH4) is a chemical compound that is used as a hydrogen storage material due to its high hydrogen content by weight (18.5%). It is also a potential candidate for use in fuel cells and batteries due to its high energy density.

How is lithium borohydride made?

Lithium borohydride can be synthesized through the reaction of lithium hydride (LiH) with boron trifluoride etherate (BF3•OEt2). This reaction produces LiBH4 and lithium fluoride (LiF). It can also be produced through the reaction of lithium metal with diborane (B2H6).

What is the energy input needed to make lithium borohydride?

The energy input needed to make lithium borohydride varies depending on the method of synthesis. However, it generally requires a significant amount of energy as it involves high-temperature reactions and the use of strong reducing agents.

What are the potential uses of lithium borohydride?

Lithium borohydride has potential applications in hydrogen storage for fuel cells and batteries. It can also be used as a reducing agent in organic chemistry reactions and as a catalyst for various chemical reactions.

Are there any safety concerns with handling lithium borohydride?

Yes, lithium borohydride is a highly reactive substance and must be handled with caution. It is flammable and can react violently with water and air. It can also release hydrogen gas, which is highly flammable and can pose a fire hazard. Proper safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and working in a well-ventilated area, should be taken when handling lithium borohydride.