Wind Resistance and/or Wind Accumulative Value

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of wind resistance and how it is affected by the shape and size of a car. It also explores a specific example of a hollowed cylinder on the hood of a car and how it would impact wind velocity. Bernoulli's principle is mentioned as a factor in understanding this phenomenon.
Nighthawk1

Homework Statement

I'm working on a project and my physics is a bit weak as I haven't done physics since High School and I needed to figure out wind resistance when traveling in a car at various speeds. For example: If you are traveling down the Interstate at 65mph, how much wind resistance will you incur? And let's say that the current natural wind velocity in either direction is zero. For a better example: Let's say I have a hollowed cylinder mounted on the hood of my car and I am traveling at 65 mph. How much wind velocity will go through that cylinder? And let's say the cylinder's interior diameter is 5 inches.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Wind resistance will depend a lot on the shape and size of your car. A Hummer H2 and a Porsche G2 will experience rather different amount of resistance.

As for that cylinder, if the shape presents some resistance to the flow of air (which it will) then the air which does manage to get inside will be at a lower pressure but a higher velocity. This is described in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli's_principle

Now why would someone want to put an open cylinder on his car hood?

I understand that wind resistance is the force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. It is caused by the collision of air molecules with the surface of the object. The amount of wind resistance experienced by an object depends on its shape, speed, and the density of the air. In the case of a car traveling at 65mph, the wind resistance will depend on the shape and size of the car, as well as the speed and density of the air.

To calculate the wind resistance, we can use the equation F = 0.5 * ρ * A * v^2, where F is the wind resistance force, ρ is the density of air, A is the frontal area of the car, and v is the speed of the car.

In the given example, we can assume that the natural wind velocity is zero, so the only source of wind resistance will be the motion of the car. For a hollowed cylinder mounted on the hood of the car, the wind resistance will depend on the size and shape of the cylinder, as well as the speed and density of the air.

To calculate the wind velocity that will go through the cylinder, we can use the equation v = Q/A, where v is the wind velocity, Q is the volumetric flow rate of air, and A is the cross-sectional area of the cylinder.

In this case, the cross-sectional area of the cylinder is given as 5 inches, which is equivalent to 0.0104 square meters. The volumetric flow rate of air will depend on the density of the air and the speed of the car. Assuming a density of 1.2 kg/m^3 for air, the volumetric flow rate can be calculated using the equation Q = ρ * A * v, where v is the speed of the car.

Therefore, the wind velocity that will go through the cylinder can be calculated as v = (1.2 kg/m^3) * (0.0104 m^2) * (65 mph) = 0.811 m/s.

In conclusion, wind resistance and wind velocity are important factors to consider when designing vehicles and structures that will be exposed to wind. Understanding these concepts can help us make informed decisions and optimize the design for better performance.

1. What is wind resistance and how does it affect objects?

Wind resistance, also known as air resistance, is the force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. It can slow down the speed of an object or even cause it to change its direction. This force is dependent on the size, shape, and speed of the object.

2. How is wind resistance calculated?

Wind resistance is calculated using the formula F = 0.5 * ρ * v^2 * A * Cd, where F is the wind resistance force, ρ is the density of air, v is the velocity of the object, A is the frontal area of the object, and Cd is the drag coefficient which is dependent on the shape of the object.

3. What factors affect the wind resistance of an object?

The wind resistance of an object is affected by its size, shape, speed, and the density of the air. Objects with larger frontal areas and higher speeds will experience higher wind resistance. Additionally, the shape of the object plays a significant role in determining the drag coefficient and thus the amount of wind resistance.

4. How does wind resistance impact the performance of vehicles?

Wind resistance can significantly impact the performance of vehicles, especially those that are designed to move at high speeds. The higher the wind resistance, the more energy is required to overcome it, resulting in lower fuel efficiency and slower speeds. This is why many vehicles, such as cars and airplanes, are designed with aerodynamic shapes to reduce wind resistance.

5. Can wind resistance be reduced or eliminated?

While wind resistance cannot be completely eliminated, it can be reduced by designing objects with streamlined shapes, reducing their speed, or changing the direction of their motion. In certain cases, such as for buildings and structures, engineers may also use wind-resistant materials and designs to reduce the impact of wind on the structure.