VMI Major Selection: Advice for Future Air Force Pilot

In summary, the individual is a new member of the forum and has been accepted into Virginia Military Institute. They plan to join the U.S. Air Force after graduation and are unsure of which major to pursue at VMI. They are considering Mechanical Engineering, Physics, or Mathematics and are seeking advice from others. VMI has all four ROTC programs and the individual is aware of the requirements for becoming a pilot. They are also concerned about the difficulty of Mechanical Engineering as a major. Overall, they are encouraged to explore their options and speak with professors and join clubs to gain a better understanding of each major's curriculum. Time management and dedication will be essential in succeeding in any of these challenging disciplines.
xelnanga
Hello everyone, this is my first time here on this forum and I was just wondering something for a very very long time.

I was accepted into Virginia Military Institute and will be attending this fall '09.

I intend to upon graduation, enter the U.S. Air Force and become a pilot.

However, the main question is the major I should take at VMI. I don't know whether to major in Mechanical Engineering, Physics, or Mathematics.

The pros of majoring in physics at VMI is that there are maybe 4 to 6 people in the entire school majoring in Physics in a class. So I will definitely receive a lot of attention.

However I've been hearing more and more that ME is the major to go since I should know the workings of the airplanes and what not.

Currently I receive easy A's and A+s in my physics and calc bc class.

If anyone can give me some advise that'd be great. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Congrats getting into VMI, and welcome to PF!

The good news is you don't have to decide right away. In the first 1 to 2 years, there's not a lot of difference between the curricula. The paths are similar enough that you can wait a while before deciding.

In the meantime, talk to professors in those departments to get a better idea of what's involved. Or join clubs in those departments. Then you'll have a better idea of what suits you.

Thanks for the reply.

I was wondering, what is mechanical engineering like as a college major?

I'm just curious, but isn't VMI an Army feeder school? Wouldn't the Air Force Academy be the way to go, or can you change your branch commitment?

I have an friend from undergrad (Engineering Physics) who joined the Air Command (the Air Force in Canada) to become a pilot. He mentioned that it's not enough to just have the desire to be a pilot, you also had to have great grades (preferably in a technical degree), perfect (uncorrected) vision, be in good to excellent physical condition, have the right reflexes and instincts, and be not too short, nor too tall.

VMI has all 4 ROTCs. (That's what the military system works partly off of)

Yes I am already familiar with certain requirements for being a pilot. I already do have perfect vision and I guess I am already in shape for the physical tests.

So this is why I was curious; is Mechanical Engineering a generally a very difficult major?

Just to emphasize a point, perfect vision might go away during studying for all those midterms and finals. I know you're thinking "it won't happen to me", but keep that in mind. With that said, pick a degree that will have a fallback option in today's economy in case something doesn't work out.

Mechanical engineering isn't very difficult, but it certainly is a lot of work. I suggest you take some general engineering courses and see if you like them at all. Often just having As and A+s in high school physics and math isn't enough to enjoy engineering or even keep up those grades in university.

But good luck.

xelnanga said:
VMI has all 4 ROTCs. (That's what the military system works partly off of)

Yes I am already familiar with certain requirements for being a pilot. I already do have perfect vision and I guess I am already in shape for the physical tests.

So this is why I was curious; is Mechanical Engineering a generally a very difficult major?

Hello, While I'm personally doing my degree in physics most of the people I know are in mechanical engineering. Both disciplens are difficult and quite time comsuming and it will be an adjustment from high school. Mainly because in high school the material is easy to grasp and work given in small amounts, but in physics/mechanical engineering their is a large amount of work to do which ranges from challenging to difficult. However if you can just manage your time effectivly and devote a lot of hours(30-40 hours per week) to doing homework/studying you'll be fine.

1. What is VMI Major Selection?

VMI Major Selection is the process of choosing a major or field of study at the Virginia Military Institute. This decision is important for future Air Force pilots as it will determine their academic focus and potentially impact their future career opportunities.

2. How does VMI Major Selection differ from traditional college major selection?

VMI Major Selection differs from traditional college major selection in that it is highly competitive and selective. It is also closely linked to military careers, with a focus on leadership, discipline, and physical fitness. Additionally, VMI majors are structured to prepare cadets for specific military roles, such as becoming an Air Force pilot.

3. What advice would you give to someone trying to select a major for a future Air Force pilot career at VMI?

My advice would be to carefully research and consider your options, as well as your personal strengths and interests. Meet with academic advisors and current Air Force pilots to gain insight into the different majors and their potential career paths. Also, keep in mind that VMI majors are highly competitive, so it's important to maintain a strong academic record and demonstrate leadership skills.

4. Are there any specific majors that are recommended for future Air Force pilots at VMI?

While there is no specific major required for Air Force pilots at VMI, certain majors may provide a strong foundation for this career path. These include majors in STEM fields, such as engineering, computer science, and physics, as well as majors in leadership and management, such as business or political science.

5. Can a cadet change their major at VMI once they have been accepted into the Air Force?

Yes, cadets at VMI have the option to change their major during their time at the institute. However, this may require additional coursework and could potentially impact their graduation date. It's important for cadets to carefully consider their major selection before entering VMI to avoid any delays in their academic progress.