Understanding the Blow-Up Phenomenon in BVPs: y'' + ay' + e^{ax}y = 1

• Thread starter rsq_a
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of a BVP with the equation y'' + ay' + e^{ax}y = 1 and boundary conditions y(0) = 0 and y(10) = 0. The numerical solution is found to blow up at certain values of a, specifically near 0.089 and 0.2302. The problem is attributed to a zero eigenvalue of the linear operator, causing the eigenfunction u^* to approach infinity and causing the blowup. The conversation also mentions the use of Sturm-Liouville theory in understanding this behavior.
rsq_a
I'm looking at the BVP:

[tex]y'' + ay' + e^{ax}y = 1[/tex],

with y(0) = 0 and y(10) = 0.

The numerical solution blows up at certain values of [tex]a[/tex]. For example, a near 0.089 and a near 0.2302. Why does this happen and how do I predict it?

Physics news on Phys.org
rsq_a said:
I'm looking at the BVP:

[tex]y'' + ay' + e^{ax}y = 1[/tex],

with y(0) = 0 and y(10) = 0.

The numerical solution blows up at certain values of [tex]a[/tex]. For example, a near 0.089 and a near 0.2302. Why does this happen and how do I predict it?

Erm. I found the problem. Near those values of 'a', there exists a zero eigenvalue of the linear operator. I guess that means that,

[tex]y'' + ay' + e^{ax}y = 0\cdot u^* = 1[/tex],

is a possible solution, and thus the eigenfunction [tex]u^* \to \infty[/tex] will cause the blowup.

Is this correct? It's been a while since I've done Sturm-Liouville stuff.

What is x?

jacophile said:
What is x?

[tex]y=y(x)[/tex]

1. Why does this blow up?

This is a complex question that can have multiple answers depending on the specific situation. In general, something can blow up due to a chemical reaction, excess pressure, or a spark or flame igniting a flammable material.

2. Is there a way to prevent things from blowing up?

Yes, there are various safety measures that can be taken to prevent explosions. These can include proper storage and handling of hazardous materials, regular maintenance and inspection of equipment, and following safety protocols and regulations.

3. Can a small explosion lead to a bigger one?

Yes, a small explosion can potentially trigger a chain reaction and lead to a larger explosion. This is why it is important to properly contain and control any initial explosion to prevent it from escalating.

4. What factors contribute to an explosion?

The main factors that can contribute to an explosion are a flammable substance, an oxidizer (something that helps the substance burn), and an ignition source. Other factors such as excess pressure, temperature, and confinement can also play a role.

5. How do scientists study and prevent explosions?

Scientists study explosions through various methods, such as conducting experiments, analyzing data, and creating mathematical models. They also work to develop safety measures and protocols to prevent explosions from occurring, as well as ways to mitigate their potential impact if they do occur.