Does Engineering Rely Upon Chemistry?

In summary, engineering disciplines other than chemical and biochem eng typically have only one chemistry class in the first year of undergraduate studies. However, some fields such as aerospace and electrical engineering may offer more chemistry-based classes for those interested in specific topics like jet fuels or materials development. Nuclear engineering, on the other hand, has a significant focus on chemistry throughout their curriculum. This first year chemistry class covers topics such as chemical bonding, structure and properties, electrochemistry, quantum chemistry, equilibrium, and reactions. For most engineering disciplines, this one chemistry class provides a general background and is not heavily relied upon in other courses.
Fragment
Title says the question. Apart from, let's say, chemical engineers, or specifically engineers using chemistry, how much does engineering rely upon chemistry? For example, if I were studying in aeronautical engineering, or electrical engineering, or yet nuclear engineering, would I have many chemistry classes in my first 2 years of my undergraduate studies?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fragment said:
Title says the question. Apart from, let's say, chemical engineers, or specifically engineers using chemistry, how much does engineering rely upon chemistry? For example, if I were studying in aeronautical engineering, or electrical engineering, or yet nuclear engineering, would I have many chemistry classes in my first 2 years of my undergraduate studies?

Thanks.

I'm in aerospace eng. and I had 1 chem class. So the answer is not much at all. I guess if you wanted to get into the development of jet fuels (or even structural materials?) and such you could choose more chemistry based classes. Also I think the electrical eng. curriculum here is the same also (1 chem class). Although I don't know exactly what you would really need chem for in that field =(

Oh and nuclear engineering, you take a guess...chemistry takes up quite a nice part of the curriculum.

djeitnstine, may I ask, what was your chemistry class and at what point in your studies did you take it?

Regards,
Fragment

As far as I have seen, you will need to take one chemistry class in first year engineering. This is the case for most universities.

If you want to go into chem eng or biochem eng, then there will obviously be a lot of chemistry. For Biomedical eng, there will be a couple of organic chemistry courses, and there will be a few in materials eng, mostly related to inorganic chemistry, and physical chemistry.

Pretty much any other engineering discipline will have none passed first year, but will have this first year chemsitry course.

As for what it covers, I assume from our first year chem, it should cover chemical bonding, structure and properties, electrochemistry, intro to quantum chemistry, equilibrium and reactions.

I would imagine that Civil and MechE has some chemistry if you're dealing with structures but many times this is incorporated into a general Materials Science requirement. For the most part, the chemistry that you need to know is covered in your other courses. The requirement of one semester of Intro Chemistry is just to give you a general background.

1. What is the role of chemistry in engineering?

Chemistry plays a vital role in engineering as it is the science that deals with the properties, composition, and structure of matter. Engineers use chemistry to understand and manipulate materials, design chemical processes, and develop new products.

2. How does engineering rely upon chemistry for problem-solving?

In order to solve complex engineering problems, engineers often need to understand the chemical reactions and interactions of different materials. This requires a knowledge of chemistry and its principles.

3. Can engineering be done without a deep understanding of chemistry?

No, engineering cannot be done without a deep understanding of chemistry. Engineering and chemistry are closely linked, and a solid understanding of chemistry is necessary for many engineering disciplines such as materials science, chemical engineering, and environmental engineering.

4. How does chemistry influence the design and production of new technologies?

Chemistry is essential in the design and production of new technologies. It allows engineers to create new materials with specific properties, develop efficient and sustainable production processes, and ensure the safety and reliability of new technologies.

5. What are some examples of engineering projects that heavily rely on chemistry?

Some examples of engineering projects that heavily rely on chemistry include the development of new pharmaceutical drugs, the production of clean energy through chemical reactions, the design of new and improved materials for construction and transportation, and the development of advanced water treatment processes.