Understanding Fermi Sphere: Deriving Fermi Energy

In summary, the speaker explains that the quote mentioned is correct and refers to the number of states in k-space within the Fermi sphere, which can be calculated using the density of electrons. The Fermi sphere is a ball in momentum space and the size of the sphere is dependent on the density of electrons, not the size of the box. A picture is also provided for further clarification.
carbon9
Hi all,

I'm studying on the current transfer at quantum level and I have a point that is not so much clear. While reading the Fermi sphere from the book "Current at the nanoscale", I could not understand the expression:

The number of electrons in the conductor, N, is the ratio of the total volume of the Fermi sphere to the volume per state

Is this sentence right, and what is its meaning? For clarity, I attached the page of the book where the author derives Fermi energy in terms of number of electrons and the volume of the conductor.

Thanks for all,
Regards

Attachments

• p.jpg
    p.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,652
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's perfectly right. The Fermi sphere is a ball in momentum space, inside which are the occupied electron states. You can calculate the number of states in k-space by assuming that your electrons are in a box of size L, with periodic or fixed boundaries. You can figure out the size of the sphere with the further information of the number of electrons in that box. You will find that the size of the sphere only depend on the density of electrons, and independent of the size of the box.

Just imagine that you want to fill up little boxes into a huge ball. The ball has a radius of kF while the little boxes has the sides (width, height and depth) of length equals to the periodic boundary. So the boxes will have a total volume of (periodic boundary length)^3 while the sphere will have the volume of 4/3 (pi) (kF)^3.

Both the ball and the boxes exist inside the k-space.

I attached a picture to provide the pictorial explanation. I hope this helps~

Attachments

• fermisphere.JPG
    fermisphere.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 977

1. What is the Fermi Sphere?

The Fermi Sphere is a theoretical model used in solid state physics to describe the distribution of energy levels for a large number of electrons in a solid material. It visualizes the allowed energy states for electrons in a material and helps to explain the behavior of electrons in a solid.

2. How is the Fermi Sphere derived?

The Fermi Sphere is derived using mathematical equations and principles from quantum mechanics. Specifically, it is derived by considering the energy levels of a large number of electrons in a solid material and determining the maximum energy level at which an electron can occupy a state at absolute zero temperature. This maximum energy level is known as the Fermi energy.

3. What is Fermi Energy?

Fermi energy is the maximum energy level at which an electron can occupy a state at absolute zero temperature. It is also known as the Fermi level and is a crucial parameter in understanding the behavior of electrons in a solid material. The Fermi energy is typically measured in electron volts (eV) or joules (J).

4. How does the Fermi Sphere relate to the band structure of a material?

The Fermi Sphere is closely related to the band structure of a material. The band structure represents the allowed energy levels for electrons in a material and the Fermi Sphere shows the maximum energy level at which electrons can occupy a state. The overlap between the Fermi Sphere and the band structure determines the electrical conductivity and other properties of the material.

5. Why is understanding the Fermi Sphere important?

Understanding the Fermi Sphere is important for studying the behavior of electrons in solid materials, which is crucial for many modern technologies such as semiconductors, transistors, and electronic devices. It also helps to explain phenomena such as electrical conductivity and thermal conductivity in materials. Additionally, the Fermi Sphere is a fundamental concept in understanding the properties of metals, insulators, and semiconductors.