Anyone know how to tell which USB ports are Hi speed?

In summary, if you have a PC from 2001 or later, most likely the USB ports are 2.0 high speed. If you have a PC from before 2001, it is likely that only one of the USB ports is 2.0 high speed. If you don't know which USB port is 2.0 high speed, you can try plugging in different devices and see if anything changes under the device manager.
Saladsamurai
Anyone know how to tell which USB ports are "Hi speed?"

I read something about some of the USB ports on a computer being hi speed allowing for faster file transfers.

I am backing up my system now to do a factory restore and I want to make sure I am using the fastest ports since these 8 GB transfers are taking sooooooo long. :grumpy:

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org

Saladsamurai said:
I read something about some of the USB ports on a computer being hi speed allowing for faster file transfers.

I am backing up my system now to do a factory restore and I want to make sure I am using the fastest ports since these 8 GB transfers are taking sooooooo long. :grumpy:

Thanks

If it's USB 2.0 then it's high speed. Pretty much any computer components released since 2001 are USB 2.0.

I have gone to my device Manager and it appears that only 1 of the ports is Hi-speed, I am just not sure how to figure out which one it is...

I will try plugging a flash drive into all of them and see if anything changes under the device manager...

yeah. i cannot tell which of the 6 ports that I have is 2.0

the computer is at least 5-6 yrs old, so i don't think that they are all 2.0

Anyone know how to interpret this:

100_0853.jpg

I couldn't tell you how to discern one from the other. Maybe test each one and time how long it takes to move a 10MB file. The 2.0 one will be at least 20 times faster.

Old trial and error. I like it. :smile:

The ports should be consistent. It would be very odd if 2 were 1.0 and 2 were 2.0
Did you upgrade your PC at some point?

If you plug a USB 2.0 device into a 1.0 port, Windows should notify you with a pop-up that says something like "This device can be made to operate faster by using another port."

- Warren

chroot said:
If you plug a USB 2.0 device into a 1.0 port, Windows should notify you with a pop-up that says something like "This device can be made to operate faster by using another port."

- Warren

I recall seeing this before. Not lately though. It makes me wonder if I checked a "Do not show this message again" box.

You can get add-in USB 2.0 cards for a few bucks, but it might be faster to use a wired connection to transfer your files over (assuming you have a 100 mbit network card and another computer with some spare space). The absolute fastest way of backing up lots of data over is to simply throw in a spare hard drive into the computer (using the ATA or SATA connection) and transfer files over. Yeah, I nuke / fix / restore computers fairly regularly.

But given your other question, I'll assume you've managed to back up your data successfully!

EDIT: If you only have one computer, this is the stage at which you acquire the necessary drivers, files, etc. to get your computer up and running, and connected to the net again.

If you plug in a high speed device your pc should say if its not a high speed one. If it says nothing then it is high speed.

1. How do I determine if a USB port is high speed?

The easiest way to tell if a USB port is high speed is by checking its physical appearance. High speed USB ports are usually colored blue, while standard USB ports are black or white. You can also check your computer's specifications or consult the device's manual for more information.

2. Can I use a USB 2.0 device on a high speed USB port?

Yes, you can use a USB 2.0 device on a high speed USB port. High speed USB ports are backwards compatible with USB 2.0 devices, but the transfer speed will be limited to USB 2.0 speeds.

3. Do all computers have high speed USB ports?

No, not all computers have high speed USB ports. High speed USB ports were introduced in 2000, so older computers may not have them. It's best to check your computer's specifications to see if it has high speed USB ports.

4. What is the difference between high speed and standard USB ports?

The main difference between high speed and standard USB ports is the transfer speed. High speed USB ports have a maximum transfer speed of 480 Mbps, while standard USB ports have a maximum transfer speed of 12 Mbps. This means that high speed USB ports can transfer data much faster than standard USB ports.

5. Can I upgrade a standard USB port to a high speed USB port?

No, you cannot upgrade a standard USB port to a high speed USB port. The hardware and wiring for high speed USB ports are different from standard USB ports, so it is not possible to upgrade them. You would need to purchase a new computer or add a high speed USB card to your existing computer to have high speed USB ports.