Why is the second derivative notation written as d^2y/dx^2?

In summary, there is a specific logic behind writing the second derivative as (dx)^2 instead of d^2x^2. It avoids confusion and is consistent with other notations in differential geometry and relativity. It is a shortcut notation to treat dx as a single entity instead of d(x^2).
ImAnEngineer
I often see the second derivative written down like this:

[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}[/tex]

Although it seems more logical to me to write

[tex]\frac{d^2y}{d^2x^2}[/tex]

Or

[tex]\frac{d^2y}{(dx)^2}[/tex]

Since it represents

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \frac{dy}{dx} [/tex]

Is there any logic behind this or is it just a shortcut notation to omit the square in d², or brackets in the denominator?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi ImAnEngineer! :smile:

It's because it's short for (d/dx)2(y) …

for example, you might write (d/dx)2(x3 + sinx), or indeed (d/dx)28(x3 + sinx) …

and (d/dx)n is naturally written without brackets as dn/dxn

the x3 + sinx stays as it is. :wink:

I think that if the notation had d2x2 then people may be tempted to do silly things like cancel the d2 and the x2 and get really confused :) As it is, there's only a slight bit of confusion in areas such as this :)

tiny-tim said:
and (d/dx)n is naturally written without brackets as dn/dxn
Is it?

I would say:

[tex]\left(\frac{d}{dx}\right)^n=\frac{d^n}{(dx)^n}=\frac{d^n}{d^nx^n}[/tex]

Because (ab)²=a²b² and not ab²

So is it just a shortcut notation to leave out the ² in the denominator?

ImAnEngineer said:
Is it?

I would say:

[tex]\left(\frac{d}{dx}\right)^n=\frac{d^n}{(dx)^n}=\frac{d^n}{d^nx^n}[/tex]

Because (ab)²=a²b² and not ab²

So is it just a shortcut notation to leave out the ² in the denominator?

Semantically, d2x2 may imply that the differential operator is being applied to x twice, which is not the case in (dx)2. Ie., it is like mistaking (sin x)2 for sin2x2.
In the case of writing dx2, it is just treating dx as a single entity, not as d(x2).

It is the same in differential geometry and relativity, where line element (metric) is written as ds^2 instead of (ds)^2. It save some works in writing I suppose...

slider142 said:
In the case of writing dx2, it is just treating dx as a single entity, not as d(x2).
yenchin said:
It is the same in differential geometry and relativity, where line element (metric) is written as ds^2 instead of (ds)^2. It save some works in writing I suppose...

Yup! :biggrin:

slider142 said:
Semantically, d2x2 may imply that the differential operator is being applied to x twice, which is not the case in (dx)2. Ie., it is like mistaking (sin x)2 for sin2x2.

Aah OK! This makes sense, that really helps.

Thanks everyone! :smile:

What is the second derivative notation?

The second derivative notation is a mathematical notation used to represent the second derivative of a function. It is denoted as f''(x) or d²y/dx².

Why is it important to use second derivative notation?

Second derivative notation is important because it allows us to analyze the rate of change of the rate of change of a function. This can provide valuable information about the shape and behavior of the function.

How is second derivative notation related to the first derivative?

The second derivative is the derivative of the first derivative. This means that it represents the rate of change of the rate of change of a function, while the first derivative represents the rate of change of the function itself.

What is the difference between the second and higher order derivatives?

The second derivative represents the rate of change of the first derivative, while higher order derivatives represent the rate of change of the previous derivative. For example, the third derivative represents the rate of change of the second derivative.

How is the second derivative used in real-world applications?

The second derivative is used in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and engineering. It can be used to analyze the acceleration of objects, the growth rate of populations, and the stability of systems.