Real World Example for Cosecant or Secant

In summary, Cosecant (csc) is a mathematical function that is defined as 1/sin(x). This means that wherever the sin(x) function is used, csc(x) can also be used. One of the main uses of csc(x) is to abbreviate expressions involving sin(x), similar to how the number 8 is used to abbreviate 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1. However, using csc(x) may require learning additional rules. In terms of real world examples, csc(x) can be used in situations involving graphing, such as measuring angles between two moving objects. In physics, csc(x) can also be used in compact formulas
Cantor
I am math teacher and was asked the classic question, "Where am I ever going to use this in life" I usually have a real word example, but for the cosecant function I am stuck (Besides higher level math classes.) Anyone know a specific example?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I also teach math. Here is one way to respond to the importance of csc(x):

Cosecant is simply defined as: csc(x) = 1/sin(x)

So, anywhere sin(x) might occur in the “real world”, so does csc(x) since sin(x) = 1/csc(x). You could always rewrite sin(x) in terms of csc(x).

One great importance of csc(x) is that it can abbreviate expressions involving sin(x).

For example, (1/sin(x))^2 = (cos(x)/sin(x))^2 + 1 is more clearly written as

(csc(x))^2 = (cot(x))^2 + 1.

Abbreviations are very useful, they are everywhere in math. A basic example would be the number 8.

It is more convenient to write 8 instead of 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1. But there is a trade off. Now you need to memorize that 8+1=9. That is, you need to learn more rules. This would not be the case if we just wrote it all out:

(1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1)+1=1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1.

The abbreviations 8 and 9 are VERY nice, even though one needs to learn additional rules. Likewise, csc(x) is very nice, just take the time to learn the additional rules that accompany the abbreviation.

I agree that the math behind the the function is very important. As far as 1/sinx goes, I guess I could set up equation that it would be easier to use the csc, but I was hoping for a real world example that involved graphing, like using the sine or cosine function with sunrises or using the tangent and a rotating light on the wall.

The only example I can find for csc is the type of high gain antennae but that's a little to complicated for high school.

Examples for use of secant and cosecant: A few exist in Physics, mechanics at least. You might find a formula relating to friction to be more compactly written using one of those functions. How this relates to actual practice in the real world, unclear.

The light on the wall can be modified.

How about this: Two people, A and B, standing at a distance of L ft. apart.

Person A stays still. Person B starts running at velocity v in the direction perpendicular to the original line from A to B. Person A measures the angle w from the original line to the line of sight of person B’s position. Then, the distance from A to B at time t is

vtcsc(w) for t,w>0.

1. What is a real world example of cosecant?

A real world example of cosecant can be seen in the construction of bridges or buildings. The cables used to support these structures follow the shape of a cosecant curve, providing strength and stability.

2. How is secant used in real life?

Secant is commonly used in navigation and surveying, as it helps to calculate distances and angles between two points. It is also used in physics and engineering to calculate the trajectory of projectiles.

3. Can you give an example of cosecant in trigonometry?

In trigonometry, cosecant is used to calculate the hypotenuse of a right triangle when the opposite side and an angle are known. For example, if the opposite side is 5 and the angle is 30 degrees, the cosecant would be 5/sin(30) = 10.

4. How does secant relate to circles?

Secant is closely related to the concept of circles, as it is defined as the inverse of the cosine function. This means that secant is used to calculate the length of the line segment that intersects a circle at two points.

5. What is the difference between cosecant and secant?

The main difference between cosecant and secant is that cosecant is the reciprocal of the sine function, while secant is the reciprocal of the cosine function. This means that cosecant is used to calculate the length of the hypotenuse in a right triangle, while secant is used to calculate the length of a line segment that intersects a circle.