Gauss' Theorum and curl of a vector field

In summary, the first conversation discusses solving two problems - finding the surface integral of a vector field given a surface, and finding the curl of a vector function. The second problem involves converting the vector function into exponential notation and applying a product rule to calculate the curl, but this may not be allowed depending on the level of knowledge. If not, the curl must be calculated directly.
Haths
Two problems one that I have some idea about solving, the other I have no idea at all about where to start.

1. Find the surface integral of E . dS where E is a vector field given;

E = yi - xj + 1/3 z3 and S is the surface x2 + z2 < r2 and 0 < y < b

Well Gauss' theorum would be the place to start to make this easy for me...Already having calculated the divergance of the field to be;

div E = z2

But my problems came to the paramaterisation of the integral. Assuming that my co-ord. transfer is;

x = r cos(a)
y = y
z = r sin(a)

z2 = r2sin2(a)

The jacobian for the cylindrical co-ords I believe being r2

Hence my integral becomes;

[tex]
$ int int int r^{4} sin^{2}(a) dr da dy$
[/tex]

The limits being b -> 0 / 2PI -> 0 / r -> 0 respectfully

...and I end up with;

1/5 PI b r5

I have no idea if this is right or not, it 'feels' right, but I'm not confident in the answer, nor if I have made some mistake along the way.

2. Finding the curl of;

[tex]
A(r,t) = a e^{(ip \dot r - i \omega t)}
[/tex]

where a and p are constant vectors...

The only idea I had was to convert it into sines and cosines, but that didn't help me that much.

Cheers,
Haths

Physics news on Phys.org
Haths said:
and S is the surface x2 + z2 < r2 and 0 < y < b

These inequalities describe a volume (a cylinder of length [itex]b[/itex] and radius [itex]r[/itex]) not a surface. Surely you meant to say "S is the surface that bounds the volume x2 + z2 < r2 and 0 < y < b", right?

Well Gauss' theorum would be the place to start to make this easy for me...Already having calculated the divergance of the field to be;

div E = z2

But my problems came to the paramaterisation of the integral. Assuming that my co-ord. transfer is;

x = r cos(a)
y = y
z = r sin(a)

z2 = r2sin2(a)

The jacobian for the cylindrical co-ords I believe being r2

Your parameterization is correct. However since you are integrating one of your coordinates from 0 to [itex]r[/itex], it is bad notation to call that variable [itex]r[/itex]. You should use [itex]r'[/itex] or a different letter like [itex]u[/itex] to make clear the meaning of the integration. Also, the determinant of the Jacobian (the Jacobian itself is a matrix, not a scalar) is incorrect; using [itex]r'[/itex] as your variable, you should find that the determinant is just [itex]r'[/itex] not [itex]r'^2[/itex] and so your integral becomes (click on the image to see the LaTeX code that generated it):

[tex]\int_0^r \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^b (r')^3\sin(a)^2 dr' da dy[/tex]

2. Finding the curl of;

[tex]
A(r,t) = a e^{(ip \dot r - i \omega t)}
[/tex]

where a and p are constant vectors...

The only idea I had was to convert it into sines and cosines, but that didn't help me that much.

Cheers,
Haths

Here, there is a vector calc product rule which will help:

[tex]\vec{\nabla}\times(f\vec{A})=f(\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{A})-\vec{A}\times(\vec{\nabla}f)[/tex]

for any scalar function [itex]f[/itex] and vector function [itex]\vec{A}[/itex]...Have you seen this product rule before?...Do you see how it helps you here?

gabbagabbahey said:
Here, there is a vector calc product rule which will help:

[tex]\vec{\nabla}\times(f\vec{A})=f(\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{A})-\vec{A}\times(\vec{\nabla}f)[/tex]

for any scalar function [itex]f[/itex] and vector function [itex]\vec{A}[/itex]...Have you seen this product rule before?...Do you see how it helps you here?

Thanks on the first section, yeah the jacobian is wrong :p.

I've not seen the RHS of that equation before, but the first one appears to look just like the normal equation for calculating the curl of a field. So I'm not quite sure how to apply that to this senario. Because first and formost I don't understand/remember how to take the field equation I have been given and re-arrange it into some form that is useful to me.

I can see that;

[tex]
a(cos(pr-wt) + isin(pr-wt))
[/tex]

But the complex notation throws me, because I don't know what I could do from here, other than double angle formula and from there I don't know if indeed that is one way to approach the solution Furthermore does anything unexpected happen with imaginary parts of the equation, like are they included in the solution for the curl, or excluded as imaginary parts.

Haths

Haths said:
Thanks on the first section, yeah the jacobian is wrong :p.

I've not seen the RHS of that equation before, but the first one appears to look just like the normal equation for calculating the curl of a field. So I'm not quite sure how to apply that to this senario. Because first and formost I don't understand/remember how to take the field equation I have been given and re-arrange it into some form that is useful to me.

I can see that;

[tex]
a(cos(pr-wt) + isin(pr-wt))
[/tex]

But the complex notation throws me, because I don't know what I could do from here, other than double angle formula and from there I don't know if indeed that is one way to approach the solution Furthermore does anything unexpected happen with imaginary parts of the equation, like are they included in the solution for the curl, or excluded as imaginary parts.

Haths

I would leave it in exponential notation, and make clear what quantities are vectors and which are scalars:

[tex]\vec{A}(\vec{r},t)=\vec{a}e^{i(\vec{p}\cdot\vec{r}-\omega t)}[/tex]

If you were to use the vector product rule I posted, you would note that [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] is a vector function and [tex]e^{i(\vec{p}\cdot\vec{r}-\omega t)}[/tex] is a scalar. The product rule tells you how to calculate the curl of a product between any scalar function and any vector function, and so you could apply it here as follows:

[tex]\vec{\nabla}\times(\vec{A}(\vec{r},t))=\vec{\nabla}\times(\vec{a}e^{i(\vec{p}\cdot\vec{r}-\omega t)})=e^{i(\vec{p}\cdot\vec{r}-\omega t)}(\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{a})-\vec{a}\times(\vec{\nabla}e^{i(\vec{p}\cdot\vec{r}-\omega t)})[/tex]

And since [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] is a constant vector, [itex]\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{a}=0[/itex], so all you would need to do is calculate the gradient of [itex]e^{i(\vec{p}\cdot\vec{r}-\omega t)}[/itex] (which you could do by letting [itex]\vec{p}=p_x\hat{i}+p_y\hat{j}+p_z\hat{k}[/itex] and, as always, [itex]\vec{r}=x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k}[/itex] and calculating the gradient using Cartesian coordinates).

However(!), if you haven't learned this product rule yet, you may not be permitted to use it. If not, you have no choice but to say [itex]\vec{a}=a_x\hat{i}+a_y\hat{j}+a_z\hat{k}[/itex],[itex]\vec{p}=p_x\hat{i}+p_y\hat{j}+p_z\hat{k}[/itex] and, as always, [itex]\vec{r}=x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k}[/itex] and calculate the curl of [itex]\vec{A}(\vec{r},t)[/itex] directly.

For example,

[tex]\frac{\partial A_z}{\partial y}=\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left(a_ze^{i(p_x x+p_y y+p_z z-\omega t)}\right)=i p_y a_ze^{i(p_x x+p_y y+p_z z-\omega t)}=i p_y a_ze^{i(\vec{p}\cdot\vec{r}-\omega t)}[/tex]

Since [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{p}[/itex] are constant vectors, you know that their components are independent of [itex]x[/itex], [itex]y[/itex] and [itex]z[/itex].

Last edited:

1. What is Gauss' Theorem and how is it related to vector fields?

Gauss' Theorem, also known as the Divergence Theorem, is a fundamental concept in vector calculus that relates the flow of a vector field through a closed surface to the behavior of the vector field within the surface. It states that the net outward flux of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of the vector field within the surface. In simpler terms, it explains how the behavior of a vector field within a closed surface is connected to its flow through the surface.

2. What is the definition of curl of a vector field?

Curl is a mathematical operation that describes the rotation or circulation of a vector field at a particular point. It is defined as the limit of the circulation of a vector field over a small surface divided by the area of that surface as the size of the surface approaches zero. In other words, it measures the tendency of a vector field to rotate around a point.

3. How is the curl of a vector field calculated?

The curl of a vector field can be calculated using the curl operator, which is represented by the symbol ∇×. It involves taking the partial derivatives of the three components of the vector field with respect to the three spatial variables (x, y, and z) and combining them in a specific way. The resulting vector is the curl of the original vector field.

4. What is the significance of the curl of a vector field in physics?

In physics, the curl of a vector field is related to the concept of rotational motion. It is used to describe the circulation of a fluid or the rotation of an object in a three-dimensional space. In electromagnetism, the curl of a magnetic field is related to the flow of electric current, while the curl of an electric field is related to the change in magnetic field over time.

5. Can Gauss' Theorem be applied to all types of vector fields?

Yes, Gauss' Theorem can be applied to any type of vector field, as long as it is defined within a closed surface. This includes scalar fields, which can be considered as a special case of vector fields with zero curl. However, the surface used for the theorem must be smooth and the vector field must be continuous within the surface for the theorem to hold.