Newton's Second Law and Tension - very confused

In summary: So the upper string remains intact, while the lower string breaks under the impulsive force. In summary, the experiment involves a block of mass of 2kg suspended by two strings, with one string having an initial tension of 20N and the other having an initial tension of 0. The professor then pulls on the second string in three different ways, with the bottom string breaking twice and the top string breaking once. This is due to the impulsive forces and the fact that the strings are not ideal inextensible strings, causing the upper string to break when the lower string is pulled slowly and the lower string to break when the lower string is pulled abruptly.
skydiver
This is not a homework problem so I am ignoring the template.
I was watching Walter Lewin's video lectures and this experiment he performs intrigues me. I have given it a thought for over an hour but have no answer as to which and why will that string break.

I have uploaded the experiment clip - can someone please spare five minutes and explain.

Link to the clip:

Thanks so much.

Embedded clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WryiPsobS6o

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please let me know if one has trouble watching the video.

To summarize, a block of mass of 2kg is suspended with a massless string. Let's call that string the top string which will have tension T1 of approx 20N.
Now there is another same kind of string attached to the bottom of the block and since nothing is hanging over that string it's initial tension T2 would be 0

Now the professor (as seen in the clip) pulls on the second string and asks which string will break. The bottom string breaks.
He repeats the experiment and now the top string breaks.

He repeats one more time and now the bottom string breaks and ends the lecture there.
But he doesn't explain why and which string will break.
So I am confused.

EDIT: I have uploaded the same clip with a different format so you may try this one if the first one doesn't play.

Last edited by a moderator:
skydiver said:
He repeats the experiment and now the top string breaks.
HINT: Does he exactly repeat the experiment three times?

You left out a detail. Look at how quickly the professor pulls the string the first time and second time. How do they differ? Could that difference matter?

Look at the speeds with which he pulls the strings.It's the old pulling the tablecloth away from the set table trick.

You just beat me to it pupil

Hootenanny said:
HINT: Does he exactly repeat the experiment three times?

Pupil said:
You left out a detail. Look at how quickly the professor pulls the string the first time and second time. How do they differ? Could that difference matter?

Yes, thank you.
I did notice that the difference in his pulling techniques.
But I am worried - what if this question is asked in an exam. What will the correct answer be?
I am assuming the top one in this case as T2 is increased it is added onto T1.

skydiver said:
Yes, thank you.
I did notice that the difference in his pulling techniques.
But I am worried - what if this question is asked in an exam. What will the correct answer be?
I am assuming the top one in this case as T2 is increased it is added onto T1.

Unless you are given the applied acceleration there is no right answer.

This problem must consider impulsive forces and the fact that the strings are not ideal inextensible strings, but rather, they must deform (stretch) under load. When the lower string is pulled slowly at constant speed, Newton 1 applies, and the lower string tension will be the pulling force, T, wheras the upper string tension will be the pulling force PLUS the objects weight (T + mg), therefore, the upper string, seeing more load, must break first.
Now when the lower string is pulled abruptly (very quickly), with enough force to break the lower string, the force is impulsive in nature, that is, it acts over a very very short time period, and stretches the near massless lower string to its breaking point. But the upper string never sees this high force, because since the displacemnt acts over such a short time period, its stretch is very small (s =1/2 at^2, where t is miniscule, thus s is miniscule). This small displacement of the upper string is not enough to stretch it to its breaking point.

1. What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This is represented by the equation F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

2. How does Newton's Second Law relate to tension?

Tension is a force that is applied to an object through a string, rope, or cable. According to Newton's Second Law, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it. This means that the tension force applied to an object can affect its acceleration.

3. What factors affect the tension force in a system?

The tension force in a system is affected by the mass of the object, the acceleration of the object, and the angle at which the force is being applied. The greater the mass and acceleration of the object, the greater the tension force will be. The angle at which the force is applied also affects the tension force, as it can change the direction of the force and the resulting acceleration.

4. How can tension be calculated using Newton's Second Law?

To calculate tension using Newton's Second Law, you would need to know the mass and acceleration of the object, as well as the net force acting on it. Using the equation F=ma, you can rearrange it to solve for tension (T), which would be T=ma-F.

5. What are some examples of tension and Newton's Second Law in real-life situations?

Some examples of tension and Newton's Second Law in real-life situations include a person pulling a cart, a car being pulled by a tow truck, and a ball being thrown into the air with a string attached to it. In all of these scenarios, the tension force is acting on the object and affecting its acceleration, which is in accordance with Newton's Second Law.