Help Improve Guitar Skills: Tips from Experienced Players

• Thread starter KLscilevothma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Guitar
In summary: Play each scale in every position on the fretboard. Really get to know them. After you know each scale, start learning songs that use those scales.Oh Right :blush: well erm... We shut up.
KLscilevothma
I've been teaching myself guitar for about 2 months and I get addicted to it already. :wink: Now I can play simple songs, like the first half of Romance de a'mour. I can memorize the fingerings of several chords, but I find practising how to play chords is pretty boring. So I prefer practising songs.

I know some of you guys know how to play the guitar well. So do you have any suggestions for me on how to improve my skills? Also I downloaded a software called Guitar Pro and it's really a great software. :approve:

Physics news on Phys.org
Play Bach's Toccata about a hundred times, until you've well and truly got it nailed. Very good exercise. Then try Thunderstruck by AC/DC. Mix it up a little, try different things.

Sweet Child O'mine, Fantastic.

How'd you teach yourself? I'm kinda wanting to do the same.

I downloaded Bach's Tocata and Sweet Child O'mine. Both of them contain notes with fret numbers larger than 13, which I think is difficult to play. Perhaps it's because the design of the guitar isn't very good?

I started teaching myself guitar by reading books and browsing websites. This is a good one and it teaches you how to tune your guitar and read guitar tablature . After knowing how to read guitar tab, you'll probably know how to play songs or chords. http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/f/p/fpm108/glw/lessons/index.htm

Then I installed a software called Guitar Pro, which I think is very useful. I then downloaded lots of songs written by Guitar Pro and started practising simple songs. Then go on to play more complicated ones.

I borrowed a guitar from my friend and the strings are made of metal, My fingers really hurt when I played crazily in the first few days. It's easier to play using nylon strings but I think the sound produced by metal strings is better.

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated.

The site with which I taught myself to play a little:

http://www.cyberfret.com/first-fret/index.php

(beware for pop-ups though, otherwise an excellent site!)

I just fiddle around these days ... maybe get some real lessons when I have more time

If anyone needs help with the theory side of music or brass/woodwind advice. I am your man. Been doing it for 8 years and I can only not play the flute. Love it. I am also a pianist but a bit naff at it. I compose so anything to do with music then I can help. :biggrin:

Open a new thread for it though and add 'The Bob' at the beginning so I know. :biggrin:

Or just ignore me. :rofl:

The Bob (2004 ©)

The Bob said:
Open a new thread for it though and add 'The Bob' at the beginning so I know. :biggrin:

Or just ignore me. :rofl:

The Bob (2004 ©)
Your later suggestion sounds better. :devil:

If anyone needs help with the theory side of music or brass/woodwind advice. I am your man. Been doing it for 8 years and I can only not play the flute. Love it. I am also a pianist but a bit naff at it. I compose so anything to do with music then I can help. :biggrin:
I'd like to learn some theory as well. Any suggestion?
I can play the piano as well. I can play all the songs in Grade 1 piano books. :smile:

KLscilevothma said:
Your later suggestion sounds better. :devil:

He He. Well I can only offer. I suppose I just wanted to be wanted. :shy: I mean what more would a 16 year of person want? :biggrin:

KLscilevothma said:
I'd like to learn some theory as well. Any suggestion?
I can play the piano as well. I can play all the songs in Grade 1 piano books. :smile:

Theory can be learned from the Royal Assoicated Board Books. Start with grade one and work up. Basic theory you can ask me about, though, and then apply it to the books. I don't know what you want to know though. There is so much.

Do you understand about music staves and different clefs? That is a start.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Do you have an acoutic guitar or electric?

Andy said:
Do you have an acoutic guitar or electric?

Yer good point. Which is it?

The Bob (2004 ©)

The Bob said:
Yer good point. Which is it?

The Bob (2004 ©)

Since he said he finds playing higher frets more difficult and that he finds playing nylon strings easier, I'd hazard a guess that it's the bane of all learners, the classical guitar :uhh:

jono said:
Since he said he finds playing higher frets more difficult and that he finds playing nylon strings easier, I'd hazard a guess that it's the bane of all learners, the classical guitar :uhh:

Oh Right :blush: well erm... We shut up.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Ok, you should start to learn the pentatonic scales. Start with the minor, then the major. You then should learn the blues scale (the same as the pentatonic minor, except for two blues notes) You can find these easy enough on the internet. This should put you well on your way to doing solos. Every now and then, due the chords up on the fret board.

Then learn your open chords, no barred chords. Yet. E, A, D, G are good ones to start off on. I would also advise learning Am, Dm, Bm, for they are usually found in most non distorted songs. Once you got those down, learn you barre chords. Just put your pointer finger over all the strings on a given fret, and use the rest of your fingers to put in the position you would put you fingers for an E or a Am chord.

Last, and least, learn your power chords. You probably already know these. i.e.- (in standard tuning) put your pointer finger on the low E string 1st fret, and put your ring finger across both A and the D string 3rd fret. Use this finger positioning to play almost all distorted songs in standard tuning.

As for sweet child omine, I would put that in your piggy bank until you are a skilled player. If you do decide to play it, pick either Slash or A. Rose's guitar part. I have been playing for quite a while and I can only get through the first 45 sec. of the solo. Also, the beginning (basically) requires you to be able to barre on the 12th fret I believe.

Good luck. Look on the internet, that's how I taught myself. TABs are your friend.

Paden Roder

PRodQuanta said:
Good luck. Look on the internet, that's how I taught myself. TABs are your friend.

Paden Roder

Hate TABS :grumpy: So evil. Pefer staves. Give me treble or bass clef anyday (and maybe tenor clef).

The Bob (2004 ©)

As far as playing songs is concerned, that's the part you tend to enjoy the most, because it seems to be the most rewarding. But with any instrument, especially the guitar, try to enjoy learning how to play it rather than the end result of playing songs. Just use the songs as reward for your hard work. As I'm sure bob will tell you, like with Sweet Child O' Mine, (fairly difficult) once you learn how to play it, you will want to learn to play it better and better, or move on to something more difficult. But most of all just have a kickass time playing it and don't worry so much about what you're playing!

thenorseman22 said:
As far as playing songs is concerned, that's the part you tend to enjoy the most, because it seems to be the most rewarding. But with any instrument, especially the guitar, try to enjoy learning how to play it rather than the end result of playing songs. Just use the songs as reward for your hard work. As I'm sure bob will tell you, like with Sweet Child O' Mine, (fairly difficult) once you learn how to play it, you will want to learn to play it better and better, or move on to something more difficult. But most of all just have a kickass time playing it and don't worry so much about what you're playing!

Yer I agree. Playing the cornet is not easy. (Side Note: Cornet is a more melodious version of the trumpet). You listen to people playing and you think 'it can't be that hard'. But it is. They just make it sound easy. It does make you want to work harder, or less (as I have found in teach some people).

Just don't get up off. Play to improve, not to play one piece and have done with it.

Still here for theory help :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

I'm buying a bass guitar soon, just waiting for the money to come in. Easy to learn, difficult to master

Yer. Fairly easy to learn. Tried to play Norwegian Wood but the harder version with harmonies. The stretches were not hard to get for my hands but the piece sounded tacky and not good. Can't contiune mind, it wasn't my guitar. Just tried it for half an hour. Can't even remember the music.

The Bob (2004 ©)

1. How can I improve my guitar playing speed?

One way to improve your guitar playing speed is to practice with a metronome. Start at a slower tempo and gradually increase the speed as you become more comfortable. You can also try using alternate picking techniques and breaking down difficult passages into smaller sections to practice.

2. What are some tips for improving my finger strength?

To improve your finger strength, try practicing scales and chord progressions regularly. You can also try using a finger exerciser or hand grip strengthener. Additionally, make sure you are using proper technique and not putting unnecessary strain on your fingers while playing.

3. How can I become a better improviser on guitar?

Improvisation takes practice and experimentation. One tip is to learn and practice different scales and modes, as they can provide a foundation for improvising. You can also try playing along with backing tracks or jamming with other musicians to improve your improvisational skills.

4. How important is it to learn music theory for improving guitar skills?

While it is possible to become a skilled guitarist without a deep understanding of music theory, learning theory can greatly enhance your playing. It can help you understand chord progressions, scales, and how different elements of music work together. It also allows for more creativity and versatility in your playing.

5. What are some good resources for improving guitar skills?

There are many resources available for improving guitar skills, including online lessons, instructional books, and video tutorials. You can also seek out local guitar teachers or attend workshops and clinics. Additionally, listening to and studying the playing of experienced guitarists can also be helpful in improving your skills.