How to measure circular displacement?

In summary, we have a problem where a particle with charge q and mass m is tied to a pivot point P by a stiff string of length L on a horizontal plane. A uniform electric field E is present and the particle is initially at rest, with the string displaced T degrees from the axis parallel to the field. The goal is to find the particle's speed when it reaches the axis. To solve this, we use the energy equation and consider the potential difference -E*displacement as the work done. The displacement can be measured using the ratio of angles and arcs, similar to a pendulum problem. Using this approach, we can find the kinetic energy and thus the speed of the particle.
TwoTruths

Homework Statement

A particle with charge q and mass m is tied by a (I assumed stiff) string of length L to a pivot point P, all of which lie on a horizontal plane. A uniform electric field E is placed over this system. If the initial position of the particle is at a point where the string is displaced T degrees from the axis parallel to the electric field, what will be the speed of the particle when it reaches this axis? The particle is initially at rest. Assume no outside work is done on the particle.

We are given E in V/m, q (the charge of the particle) in C, T in degrees, L in m, and mass in kg.

Homework Equations

Energy(final) = Energy(initial)
In a uniform E, potential difference = -E*displacement
K (kinetic energy) = 1/2 mv^2 for v <<<< c (v way way less than c, so neglect the change in mass)
U = qV

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems a pretty simple problem up to the point I'm stuck at. I set up the general energy equation:

K(initial) + U(initial) = K(final) + U(final)
K(initial) = 0 (it starts at rest)
K(final) = (mv^2)/2 and contains the final v I want
Moving U(final) to the left side yields:
U(initial)-U(final), or qV(initial) - qV(final), or q[V(initial)-V(final)], or q(deltaV)

From this, we can see that by solving for v, we can easily find it. But wait! What's the potential difference (deltaV)? Easy - the work done to move the particle from its initial position to the final position, or just -E * displacement for a uniform electric field.

Where I'm stuck: how should I go about measuring the displacement? I know I could solve a line integral, but I honestly think there's an easy answer to this, and I feel like I've done it before, but I just can't remember it. Help?

Edit: Looking at this a little more, I thought of trying the ratio of the angles and the arcs. So, can I use:

(T/360) = (displacement/circumference)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Treat this as if it were a pendulum with the electric force qE replacing the gravitational force mg.

Unfortunately, the only way I've solved pendulum problems is by using energy, much like I'm doing for this problem. I would say the kinetic energy at the bottom (from which I can get the velocity) is equal to the change in potential energy. In this problem, I say the kinetic energy is equal to the change in electric potential energy. Is there something fundamentally wrong with this approach?

You say correctly and there is nothing fundamentally wrong with your approach. That's the way I would do it if I had to.

1. How do I measure circular displacement?

Circular displacement can be measured using a protractor or a ruler. Place the center of the protractor at the starting point of the object's circular path and measure the angle between the starting point and the current position of the object. Alternatively, you can use a ruler to measure the distance between the starting point and the current position of the object along the circular path.

2. What is the unit of measurement for circular displacement?

The unit of measurement for circular displacement is radians or degrees. Radians are the preferred unit for scientific calculations, but degrees are commonly used in everyday measurements.

3. How do I convert radians to degrees?

To convert radians to degrees, multiply the value in radians by 180/π. For example, if the circular displacement is 2π radians, the equivalent in degrees would be (2π)*(180/π) = 360 degrees.

4. Can I measure circular displacement using a tape measure?

No, a tape measure is not a suitable tool for measuring circular displacement. It is designed to measure linear distance, not angular distance.

5. Is there a formula for calculating circular displacement?

Yes, the formula for calculating circular displacement is θ = s/r, where θ is the angular displacement in radians, s is the arc length along the circular path, and r is the radius of the circular path.